Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Isaiah Pead suspended for one game

NFL suspended Rams RB Isaiah Pead one game for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

The suspension comes at a bad time for Pead, who is in a three-way battle to start. He's still very much in the mix for carries, but this opens the door wider for rookie Zac Stacy and Daryl Richardson. Pead has the ability to practice with the team and play in preseason games, so he'll still get plenty of reps. The fact that Pead is missing one game is much less of a concern than the bad vibes he's generating in St. Louis. The 50th overall pick in last year's draft, Pead's rookie season was a major disappointment.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

The Rams reportedly knew about Isaiah Pead's one-game suspension "for months" and maintain "high expectations" for the 2012 second-round pick.

Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the one-game ban stems from a "minor violation" from last year. Profootballtalk's Mike Florio speculates it resulted from some "previously unknown violation of law." The NFL does not have to disclose reasons for suspensions, and nor does Pead's camp. Ultimately, the one-game suspension could affect Pead's ADP and make him a better draft-day value.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

So he Pead into a cup! lmao

And the hits continue for Pead. Really it’s not that big of a deal, but with the other RB’s not running into issues with their college’s late release or substance abuse, it’s hard to see him jumping Richardson or holding off Stacy! Tough road ahead for this dude.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, really not sure what to think on Pead. Word is getting around that Stacy is going to make a huge impact from the get go and Richardson is way ahead of Pead already, was last year from the get go pretty much.

If he didn't do anything, he wouldn't be suspended. To me this is a problem. Pead knows this is his chance to shine, but I guess what ever he did was more important. And he should know players are responsible for what goes in their bodies. Rok Watkins is another one that will be joining Pead in civies for the season opener for violating the same policy. And if I'm not mistaken David Vobora had a substance that was considered a PED in his body as well. Boy if there is another suspension Fisher is going to have a big problem!

• Upvote 1

Thats true, I agree. And in Vabora's case it was his fault and he was correctly suspended. He also correctly won his lawsuit against the company that didn’t properly label their supplements, but he didn’t collect what he won in damages though. The way I look at it is managing talented but troubled players, will always be an issue for teams. Sometimes it just will not work out. Titus Young is a recent example. He is a very skilled WR however, his mental instability would not allow him to function within the structure of a team. Then there are others like Vontaze Burfict, who at the moment, is working well within the Bengal organization. It is a delicate balance that requires maintenance and vigilance by both team and players.

Isaiah Pead's one-game suspension stems from a July 2012 arrest for possession of two ounces of marijuana.

The details of Pead's one-game ban initially went undisclosed as neither the NFL nor its players is under any obligation to explain suspensions. Coach Jeff Fisher has publicly supported Pead, who is almost a year removed from the violation and insists he's in a better place "mentally" after a lost rookie year.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

As much confidence as the coaching staff had shown in Richardson all last season, I'm not sure that Pead ever had a shot at the starting gig as a 3 down back. He'll definitely get some playing time, but if he doesn't start showing that he can act like a high draft pick then why treat him like one? Hopefully what Fisher says about Pead being in a better place is true.

That being said, I think Daryl Richardson is the guy in St. Louis.