Sign in to follow this  
Sarge

Jason Kidd has retired

Ten-time All-Star Jason Kidd announced his retirement Monday.

Kidd, who signed a three-year, $9.3 million with the Knicks last summer, announced his decision in a statement released by the organization.

“My time in professional basketball has been an incredible journey, but one that must come to an end after 19 years,” Kidd said. “As I reflect on my time with the four teams I represented in the NBA, I look back fondly at every season and thank each every one of my teammates and coaches that joined me on the court.”

Selected with the No. 2 pick in the 1994 NBA draft after two standout seasons at California, Kidd enjoyed a 19-year career with the Mavericks, Suns, Nets, and Knicks.

The 1995 co-Rookie of the Year retires with career averages of 12.6 points, 8.7 assists, 6.3 rebounds and 1.9 steals. Kidd was selected to the All-NBA first or second team six times and the All-Defensive first or second team nine times, he won gold medal with USA Basketball at the 2000 and 2008 Olympics, and he twice received the NBA’s sportsmanship award. He won a title with the Mavericks in 2011 and went to the Finals with the Nets in 2002 and 2003.

Regarded as one of the best point guards in NBA history, Kidd ranks No. 2 on the league’s all-time assists and steals lists, trailing only Jazz Hall of Fame guard John Stockton in both categories.

Kidd, 40, was one of the NBA’s oldest player during the 2012-13 season, averaging 6 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.3 assists in 76 appearances for the Knicks. He leaves the NBA having earned more than $187 million in contracts over his career.

http://nba.si.com/2013/06/03/jason-kidd-retires-knicks-mavericks-nets-suns/

Awesome career.

Incredible PG. I just wish he'd have hung it up after the Dallas championship. Especially after Cuban broke up that roster. He could have avoided being an active player during his DUI, as well as two years of less than satisfactory play in the big picture. Either way, he was a privilege to watch and I'll miss him.

It's always weird when a generational guy retires in any sport. He has been playing for as long as we've been watching basketball.

Edited by Sarge

Miss these days so much...

tumblr_mkba1tG9dj1renuivo1_500.gif

tumblr_mg5h52G3XI1renuivo1_500.gif

Kidd, along with K-Mart made Nets basketball so entertaining to watch. I've almost lost all interest now. D-Will is a gutless piece of garbage compared to Kidd in his prime lol.

Awful that he retired as a fucking Knick, though.

Yeah, I get all the Nets games here, and he was just great. Obviously he got a lot worse at the end, but almost everyone does. Hope he has a good retirement.