Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Halladay apologizes tofans

Today's pro athletes have news conferences for all types of things.

Post-game or pre-game thoughts. New jobs. New contracts. New endorsement deals. New girlfriends. Admitting to affairs with multiple women.

You know, just about everything.

But one reason you don't see athletes calling news conferences in today's sports world is to apologize to fans.

However, that's what happened last week with Philadelphia Phillies starting pitcher Roy Halladay.

After learning that he would miss significant time because of shoulder surgery in a season already filled with struggles, Halladay felt he owed the passionate Philly fans an apology.

"So, one, I just wanted to thank them for their support. And my heart goes out to all of the people who spend all of their money and go out to the games and don't get to see what they want to see. I know I'm not the whole team. There are still a lot of guys out there and it's a fun team to watch. But I feel bad that I'm missing the time that I am. I feel bad for the fans that I'm missing the time," Halladay said in part of a lengthy statement.

He also went on to apologize for continuing to pitch when he wasn't 100 percent, especially in the final start before his injury was revealed when he was crushed by the Miami Marlins.

Even though the gesture was amazing, Halladay really had no reason to say sorry for pitching while he was hurt. The players who owe fans an apology are the ones who opt not to play when they are healthy. Right, Derrick Rose?

But no matter if it was warranted, the act of a multimillionaire star athlete holding a news conference to apologize to fans in today's world speaks wonders about Roy Halladay. The guy certainly has class. He realizes how important the fans are and he felt he needed to address them. Good for him.

The next time you see the latest star pro athlete sidestep an anxious autograph seeker or brag about his millions of dollars, don't give up hope. There are still some athletes out there who get it. Just look at Roy Halladay.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/05/philadelphia_phillies_roy_hall_5.html

This guy makes it easy to root for him. Great competitor, hard worker, extremely professional and obviously he cares about and appreciates the fans.

Does the apology come with a return on his $20 million salary?

• Upvote 1

This is the second time he's apologized to fans this year, first for his performance, now for his injury. It's a classy move by a classy athlete, but the writing is on the wall, unfortunately. Halladay is one of many overpaid players on the Phillies' roster, and he'll be a free agent in a few months.

idk, he's not as good as he use to be but the guy still works hard. I still respect him and I respect the fact that he cares about the fans. I'd love nothing more than to see him bounce back. Nice to see some humility out of an athlete his caliber. The man is a hall of famer regardless of what happens the last few years of his career.

idk, he's not as good as he use to be but the guy still works hard. I still respect him and I respect the fact that he cares about the fans. I'd love nothing more than to see him bounce back. Nice to see some humility out of an athlete his caliber. The man is a hall of famer regardless of what happens the last few years of his career.

I think it's a lot easier to be humble after you have humiliated yourself. I don't want to spin Doc in the wrong light, as I am sure he is a great guy. But it's time for him to hang it up. Even if he does come back, he is not going to be the same guy he was, he isn't going to be worth anywhere near $20 million.

Saying sorry, but continuing to hang on to collect a paycheck seems so empty to me.

He has a lot of time left this season though to make a decision on his future. So I won't hold it against him for the time being.