Sign in to follow this  
Maverick

FIFA Confederations Cup 2013

It's a longshot but I know we have a few soccer fans here...

Anybody following the tourney? Brazil opened it up yesterday with a 3-0 win over Japan. Italy and Mexico playing right now.

Pretty much all the games are on ESPN

Completely forgot about this. No Germany or USA makes my care level go down a bit ha.

I don't get to watch these games because they're played late. I caught the first half of Spain-Uruguay game and saw the total domination of Spain.

And damn,that Neymar goal was amazing.

Spain really did dominate. Suarez scored a brilliant free kick though! I admire Spain's talent but I just can't support them when they're rolling around the floor all the time. Literally every one of their players do it.

Surprised DMac hasn't posted after Nigeria crushed Tahiti :biggrin:

Tahiti sucked... Outside of the super sexy goal from Oduamad, Tahiti seemed to really have the urge to score on themselves...

I hate Nigeria being in the same group as both Spain and Uruguay. Life sucks. :/

ESPN. Spain is the largest favorite in Las Vegas Hotel's history (bet $500 to win $1). Tahiti's coach claims it's impossible to win, expects 15-20 goals.

LOL

Edited by Maverick

Anybody know where I can get a feed of this thing? We've 4 TVs in our house and somehow my family members have found a way to utilize all of them including mines...

It was about time. Brazil is now my favorite to win the World Cup next year.

FUN FACT: The winner of the Confederations Cup has never won the World Cup.

Also, I don't remember the last time that the hosting team made it to the final. So I'm sticking with Spain. There's no way I can let one tournament loss blur the fact that they've been absolutely dominate the past three years.

Brazil is a young team that's growing up fast though. If they can continue to play solid team defense like they did in the final, they'll continue to be a hard team to beat. Neymar is proving his worth too. If he'd stop playing with his collar so much, I'd be a bigger fan of his.

Shoot, forgot to post my thoughts about the tourney in here.

First, much like the majority I was shocked by the scoreline. That was a combination of Spain finally having their day and Brazil taking advantage of it. You could tell Spain weren't on their game, but credit Brazil's high-pressure tactics for that. However, I thought the ref should put more Brazilians to the books. IIRC, Oscar had about four fouls alone in the first half.

Player of the Tourney award went to Neymar and it was well-deserved. Aside from the diving (which Barcelona do all the time so he'll fit right in), he was the star of the tourney. The spotlight was on him coming into the tourney to see if he could show up big in competition outside of LdB and he didn't disappoint. Finished the tourney with six points out of five matches, kept the flamboyant tricks to a minimum, and carried Brazil to the final. Shout outs to Fred and Paulinho as well. Italy gets credit for developing the blueprints on how to defeat Spain. Ultimately it was a rather boring semifinal between the two but tactically-speaking Italy were brilliant in keeping Spain at bay.

Overall, it really was a fun tourney to watch. Outside of Tahiti getting curbstomped every match, all the games were competitive. Having said that, Germany is still my favorite to win the Cup. It was "three time's the charm" for Bayern Munich in the Champs League, and I have a feeling the phrase will be used again for the club's nation in Brazil 2014.

it's sad that the protests outside the games took away some of the talk of the incredible tournament!