Sign in to follow this  
housemd

Arians: 'No doubt' Mendenhall is the starter

Coach Bruce Arians said there's "no doubt" Rashard Mendenhall is the Cardinals' No. 1 running back.

During OTAs and minicamp, Mendenhall ran as the clear feature back. Arians appears to have zero interest in giving Ryan Williams, Stepfan Taylor or Andre Ellington a legit chance to compete. "He took me personally to a Super Bowl, and I know what he can bring to the table as a runner and a pass protector and also a receiver," Arians said of his former first-round pick in Pittsburgh. "He's an every-down player. And I think he's looking forward to having an outstanding season."

I know Arians knows him well from the Pittsburgh days but I think he might be rushing here a bit. He knows about his health problems and yet he has him as an every down back.

I'm not sure why he has no interest in giving Williams and rookies a chance to compete. Those rookies are very talented and out of those 3 backups, I think Stepfan Taylor has the best chances to get the starting gig.

Not really a surprise to me. If Mendenhall comes out 100% healthy, I think he's a great back. He's definitely getting a waive through by Arians because the familiarity the two have.

I really want to see Ryan Williams with a healthy workload though. He played on that less than 100% knee last season and was flat out scared to run the football. He even admitted it during an interview with NFL.com. He's got a lot of talent, he just needs the chance to run while he's healthy. Stepfan Taylor could be exciting to watch too. Except I don't see him getting too many carries unless Mendenhall or Williams are injured.

Arians should have waited to declare Mendenhall the starter at this point. With amount of talent those three guys have and the amount of possible production he has sitting on the bench, I think it was silly to do such a thing before preseason.

I never like when coaches just anoint someone as the starter. This is favoritism on Arian's behalf. Let them compete. Competition is healthy and makes players work harder. Make it an even playing field and may the best man win.

This is unfortunate, Williams has alot of talent and i know he's had he's issues but to name Rashard the starter this early is ridiculous. Like dutch said it's favrotisim, and Rashard just got to AZ. Williams knows the system better and has alot to prove. I think the ultimate for AZ would to be give both these guys a chance on Sundays, share the rock they have two different running styles which would would make defenses have to adjust and they've both have had injury problems so less wear.