Sign in to follow this  
theMileHighGuy

Broncos Training Camp Updates

I am just waiting for Julius Thomas to explode so that I can gloat. Hurry up, bro.

He just needs to stay healthy. He's tearing it up with pads now, and is looking like he could finally crack the roster.

Defensive back is gonna be tough this year. We're gonna be cutting a good player or two, that's for sure. Champ is safe, Chris Harris and Rahim Moore are safe, and otherwise we have a lot of questions for depth purposes. Tony Carter is gonna make it a hard choice whether we keep him, or both of our young guys in Webster and Bolden. I imagine DRC is safe because of the talent level, but he might be the 4th best corner we have after training camp is said and done.

Ihenacho is a hell of a talent, and Bruton is a beast on special teams, so I want to keep them, leaving us with one or two spots and Mike Adams, Quentin Jammer, and Quinton Carter fighting for those spots. Carter may just be the odd man out.

I think Jammer ends up being cut. I dont think the going to cut a young guy like carter to hang on to someone Jammers age who may only play 1 maybe 2 years

If the Broncos carry 10 defensive backs, I think 6 of them will probably be corners. That way they can retain Bailey, Harris, Carter, DRC, Webster, and Bolden. Safety will be the more interesting position. Out of Moore, Adams, Bruton, Carter, Ihenacho, and Jammer, which two get let go?

I think the top 3 are Rahim, Quinton, and Bruton. Jammer's coverage skills get him the nod over Mike Adams.

However, between Quinton's sort-of-arrest and injury struggles, and Ihenacho possibly having the best camp performance so far, the final four could get all shaken up. Tough to say for certain at this juncture.

Here was the report for day 4:http://www.milehighreport.com/2013-denver-broncos-training-camp/2013/7/28/4565866/denver-broncos-2013-training-camp-day-four-report

Denver Broncos 2013 Training Camp: Dark clouds hang over Day Four

Season-ending injuries put a tone of gloom over a practice, but the Broncos proceeded with work nonetheless. There were a number of highlights from both the offense and defense Sunday.

Dark clouds loomed over the fourth day of Denver Broncos training camp practice Sunday, literally and figuratively.

Literally, the skies were overcast, with hours of rain giving the Broncos a wet field on which to practice. That storm would pass before practice; figuratively, the storm was just beginning.

Center Dan Koppen suffered a torn ACL and is finished for the season.

But outside of that gloomy forecast, the Broncos went to work. The rain subsided for the fans and players to enjoy some precipitation-free football. And as players donned pads for the second day, the intensity of the workout seemed to increase.

"That's the catch-22 any coach goes through any time of year," head coach John Fox said. "You're getting ready for the season and you need to get into pads because you've got to get in shape, and yet you're still trying to make sure you've got enough guys to battle with."

For now the Broncos will do battle with Manny Ramirez at center, along with newly-signed veteran Steve Vallos, while they continue to shuffle other positions to find combinations of players that work, especially on defense.

"We want to build that flexibility now, teach them different roles and let them compete," defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio said Saturday.

Roll Call

Tackle Ryan Clady was limited (shoulder). Center/guard C.J. Davis (ankle) and wide receiver Andre Caldwell (hamstring) dressed but did not participate. Hamstrings are tricky, but Bubba needs to hope that recovers soon; he is far from guaranteed at making this roster.

Injury Report

There was one other injury of note besides Dan Koppen's likely-season-ender: defensive lineman Derek Wolfe hurt his leg during practice and had to come off the field. Malik Jackson filled in for Wolfe as he walked along the sidelines. The injury didn't look bad - Wolfe remained on the field, there was no noticeable limping or pain - but it's something to keep an eye on.

Offense, defense turn up intensity

It was a harder-hitting practice today, and it was overall a joy to watch. Peyton Manning was efficient, the defense was stiff, and I'd be hard-pressed to say either unit "won" the practice either way.

In 7-on-7 red zone work, Wes Welker was able to sneak between David Bruton and another defender for a touchdown on consecutive plays, just after Eric Decker went high on a slant to beat Dominique Rodgers-Cromertie for six.

With Brock Osweiler under center, Mike Adams missed an easy tackle on Virgil Green (Green had slipped in the wet grass and got up more quickly than expected); Green took it to the end zone. A few plays later, Omar Bolden successfully defended the pass intended for Gerrell Robinson - a play that featured a former Sun Devil throwing to another Sun Devil guarded by a fellow Sun Devil.

Three Players I Liked Today

It was a hard day for me to pick my "Who Won Today", which is always a good thing, so let me highlight a handful of guys that impressed me. These are guys that aren't necessarily starters, but up-and-comers: my favorite stories to tell in training camp.

Duke Ihenacho

Ihenacho has been on my radar for a couple of practices now, and for all the right reasons. Today he dove for a Brock Osweiler throw in the end zone, grabbing it for an interception. Earlier he was able to snatch the football out of Knowshon Moreno's bobbling hands for an INT.

Ihenacho is seeing more snaps in general, including in nickel formations, and justifying those snaps with big plays consistently. He's my favorite up-and-comer from camp so far.

Danny Trevathan

Trevathan came strongly on the scene at the end of last year, but his play continues to improve. Today he jumped high to intercept a Brock Osweiler pass intended for Montee Ball in the corner of the end zone, to the loudest cheers of the day.

Later he had a "sack" on Osweiler in 11-on-11's and a handful of tackles in running back nine-on-seven work.

Jeremiah Johnson

Talking about Jeremiah Johnson looking impressive in camp is old at this point. He's been a training camp highlight reel for years now. Here's the thing: I want to be talking about Jeremiah Johnson looking impressive in a game. And here's the catch: he isn't practice squad eligible this year.

Could it be that Johnson is all-too-aware of this and has elevated his game to an even higher level? It would seem so. He broke two more long runs today in nine-on-seven work, a day after he made a handful of plays in the first padded practice of 2013 camp. Johnson is trying to make himself uncuttable.

Play of the Day

The best play of the day was the last one featuring the starting offense, and Peyton Manning's last throw of practice. Demaryius Thomas was leapt to beat Tony Carter for a sideline grab then broke free, sprinting down the sideline. Rahim Moore was in position to lay Thomas out - he may have chosen not to, deliberately, but Thomas zoomed toward the end zone. David Bruton pursued but failed to catch up as Thomas launched himself into the end zone, right near the media where I was standing.

One media member joked at him, "Hey didn't you hear the whistle blow?" (It had.) Thomas quipped back, in a rare moment of in-practice interaction, "Man there's no way he (Carter) makes that tackle." Six points for Denver.

Who Won Today - Chris Harris

For the most part, Wes Welker had been getting the better of cornerback Chris Harris in the early practices of this 2013 training camp. The battle at slot promised to be an epic one this camp, with two of the best in the NFL going at it. It has not disappointed, and today Harris got the edge. He broke up at least two Welker passes today, and #83 only seemed to find success when he was going against the safeties in red zone work.

"Wes is going to compete and I am going to compete every day. It was just my day today," said Harris. "That is just how it goes when it’s two great players going against each other. He has his days and I have my days."

Harris's impressive day even transcended his coverage of Welker, breaking up a pass intended for Demaryius Thomas with a textbook tackle as the ball hit Thomas's hands. Harris looks to benefit greatly from the array of talent the Broncos have amassed at wide receiver.

"We are going to be well prepared once the season comes," Harris said.

Who Lost Today - Zac Dysert

I mentioned in my first practice report that the third string quarterback actually had a worse day than Brock Osweiler, who took home "Who Lost Today" honors that day. I justified that by saying expectations weren't high for Dysert, and so you can excuse his misfires during his first-ever practice.

But after four days, you'd expect a little improvement, and today was really bad. It's about time I discussed it a little bit.

Dysert is indecisive, and when he does throw he is off-target. He holds onto the ball far too long, and his only completions tend to be checkdowns to a tight end. At one point during red zone work,

Undrafted rookie fourth-string QB Ryan Katz has not seen a single team snap yet, but I'd like to see what he can do over the seventh-rounder at this point.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

I'll put up today's report and some photos from today after the report is up.

Twitter highlights from Monday's camp:

@BroncosTV: Manning and center Manny Ramirez high-five before getting to work Monday morning http://t.co/66qaiHSBuS

(apparently this guy hasn't been high-fived before)

@MaseDenver: Fans continue to stretch along with the players. I believe we have seen the creation of a new Broncos tradition.

Lindsay Jones ✔ @bylindsayhjones

Center depth chart: Manny Ramirez, CJ Davis, Philip Blake, Quentin Saulsberry and so on. #Broncos

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi

Great pass from Osweiler to the rookie Tavarres King. Oh, and Rod Smith joins us XML tonight.

@MileHighReport

Ryan Clady is still in sweats (limited practice), but he is testing his shoulder today. Going against other o-linemen in drills.

@MileHighReport

Video: Center Steve Vallos (#51) in drills. #BroncosCamp

@dmac1043

Hillman not in running drills it was ball and knowshon. Hillman is in pads he just ain't in the mix

@MileHighReport

It's Montee Ball as first running back today, Knowshon Moreno #2. Hillman stands by, might be nursing something minor.

@dmac1043

Sylvester Williams is having another great day. This guy looks like he's the real deal. Hillman basically taking day off from contact.

@dmac1043

Knowshon extremely spirited during hitting. Q smith looks impressive.

@dmac1043: Sylvester Williams goes down and walks off. It's an ankle or knee but he got off on his own. We'll see if he goes back in

@MileHighReport: Sylvester Williams was down for a bit, limped to the sideline and now laying down. Trainer attending to his left leg/knee. #BroncosCamp

@MileHighReport

Ronnie Hillman back with the one's in 11-on-11, he and Montee Ball split reps. #BroncosCamp

@dmac1043 2m

Ok 11's done - here's some observations duke ihenacho is getting a real shot. Mike adams needs to worry. Julius Thomas may make tamme expendable. No joke. Tamme could be in trouble. I have no idea why Quentin jammer is here

@dmac1043 26s

Got to admit Brock looks great. I'm actually excited to see him play. I bet he does very good

@MileHighReport: Quick hits from #BroncosCamp:

- Scouted centers closely, none great

- Knowshon Moreno best RB

- Von Miller, Julius Thomas awesome

@MikeKlis

Sylvester williams mri ok - he's day-to-day

Edited by theMileHighGuy

Day 5 Recap:

Denver Broncos 2013 Training Camp: Alumni reunions on Day Five

What do two Denver radio hosts and a Broncos football executive have in common?

Big Al Williams runs a radio show. Ring of Fame center Tom Nalen runs a radio show.

John Elway runs a professional football franchise.

But they all came from the same place - the Denver Broncos roster. And they all watched this year's roster from training camp today.

It was a day of alumni reunions at training camp today. Aside from Nalen, Williams, and Elway, who are common faces at camp, there were a number of Broncos greats in attendance Monday. Ed McCaffrey watched practice as part of his coverage for KOA - I had the pleasure of talking to him for about 15 minutes. John Lynch was at camp for the second day in a row, and even Broncos legend Simon Fletcher was in the Broncos' VIP tent, eager to meet coach Fox for the first time.

It wasn't long ago that Broncos alumni were given the cold shoulder at Dove Valley; I love this new attitude of welcoming in our accomplished veterans with open arms.

Those Broncos all-stars were witnesses of a crisp practice that saw the defense succeed at preventing big plays and the running game start to find its groove.

Roll Call

All players were in attendance except Dan Koppen, who has yet to be officially placed on the Injured Reserve list (just a technicality). C.J. Davis and Andre Caldwell returned to practice after missing Sunday; Ryan Clady continued to be limited.

Injury Report

Big defensive tackle Sylvester Williams suffered a left knee injury somewhat early in practice. The Broncos' first round draft pick limped to the sideline and got some attention from the trainers for about five minutes. Thereafter he limped to the locker room, under his own power. Williams will be day-to-day.

It looked to me like Ronnie Hillman got a little dinged up and sat out the 9-on-7 series early in practice; he was back at it for full team work later in the day.

No Big Plays? That's Okay

A day where Peyton Manning doesn't connect with a wide receiver for a huge gain or touchdown is pretty rare, but that was the case at Dove Valley Monday. You can look at it one of two ways: either the offense is still getting in sync, or the defense, particularly the safeties, did a damn good job keeping their opponents in front of them.

I prefer the latter, and will commend Denver's secondary on keeping this talented Denver offense in check. Chris Harris and Rahim Moore swarmed Demaryius Thomas on separate occasions; Quentin Jammer had several good tackles shortly after the catch and also sped through the middle of the o-line for a sack in reserve work; Omar Bolden had a nice pass breakup and also batted down a pass on jolly blue giant Brock Osweiler. Wes Welker got the better of Bolden for the offense's biggest passing play of the day (pictured below), but overall it was a solid day for Bolden and the rest of Denver's secondary, across all three units (first through third string).

Position Battles

Center

Manny Ramirez took back over the starting center job following Dan Koppen's injury. A healthy C.J. Davis resumed work as the second center while Philip Blake filled in at three. Newly signed Steve Vallos didn't participate in anything meaningful yet as far as the depth chart goes (team snaps).

Running Back

Hillman's short respite saw Montee Ball and Knowshon Moreno step in as #1 and #2 backs respectively. Ball continued to struggle - he dances behind the line, cuts twice, and has yet to have a truly impressive run, though he did break free once. Knowshon, on the other hand, looked very solid. More on that later.

In reserve work, Jeremiah Johnson continues to impress. C.J. Anderson broke free down the left sideline for a long run that might have gone for a touchdown on the practice's final play.

Wide Receiver

The Top Three may be set in stone, but after that things are very fluid. My favorite backup right now -- by far -- is Greg Orton. The kid is making himself uncuttable. He gets open consistently, and he catches everything thrown his way. Today he even mimicked Demaryius Thomas, dunking the football over the goal posts after snagging a touchdown pass in the back of the end zone from Brock Osweiler.

The only issue I have with Orton is that he is only doing this against backups. Even in one-on-one's, he rarely sees time against the likes of Champ Bailey or Chris Harris, and that's really when an up-and-comer can test his mettle. I'd like to see Orton get just a little bit of time in with the one's - we know what we have in Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, and Wes Welker, but we don't know what we have in Orton, and it's important to find out before Decker's contract expires after this season.

Tight End

Julius Thomas continues to mix in time with the starters. The Broncos will play both Thomas and Tamme, with Joel Dreessen being the more common mainstay. Virgil Green also sees the field often in three tight end sets.

Safety

I agree with the following statement wholeheartedly:

@ESPNLockerRoom

"Rahim Moore is the best safety on this team." @TomNalen #BroncosCamp

I also have not seen enough from Bruton to christen him a starter yet, though the Broncos continue to give him that chance. I like Mike Adams slightly better at this point. The three continue to see the majority of starting snaps.

Play of the Day

This didn't go for a touchdown, but it was a solid play from start to finish. Brock Osweiler had a good practice, but on this play he looked particularly impressive. Big Brock dropped back, and pressure came immediately from several sides. Knowshon Moreno had a simply clutch block in pass protection that allowed Osweiler to escape the pocket and take a step to his left. He found Virgil Green on a 15-plus-yard out route and placed it high and away, perfectly, and Green hauled it in. I loved seeing the backup offense execute that nicely.

Who Won Today - Knowshon Moreno

Aside from Knowshon's clutch pass protection mentioned above, he was the best looking running back of the Hillman-Ball-Moreno combo today, and perhaps of the entire running back corps. There was no hesitation on Moreno's part during 9-on-7 drills, and he had another nice run up the guy in 11-on-11 before getting barely tripped up on a shoestring tackle. I will note that Moreno had one fumble in team work but was able to recover it himself; otherwise it was a perfect practice for the former first round pick.

Runner Up: Kayvon Webster. The rookie cornerback had an interception in individual work and a pass breakup in red zone work.

Who Lost Today - Jake O'Connell

The second-to-newest Bronco had a couple of drops and was the victim of big hits today. Tough day for a guy trying to make the most of this opportunity, but he may just be in an impossible situation. A player needs to soak up the playbook to the point where it's second nature to really let his physical talent show itself. O'Connell, signed last Friday, may be too busy processing each route mentally to truly show what he can do physically.

Next Practice

Walkthrough tonight. The players have the day off Tuesday and will next return to the practice field in the public's eyes on Wednesday July 31 from 10:25 a.m. to 1:05 p.m.

I love seeing alumni back in the building, and Knowshon BALLIN!

Day 5 photos. I'll start captioning these.

IMG_7641_gallery_post.JPG

Malik Jackson and Derek Wolfe beat up on some pads.

IMG_7670_gallery_post.JPG

Backup running backs jog around while Pat Bowlen gets older.

IMG_7730_gallery_post.JPG

Moreno gets hands-off with Manning.

IMG_0477_gallery_post.JPG

Mike Adams fails.

IMG_0554_gallery_post.JPG

Brock Osweiler gets tips from Manning on getting taller.

IMG_0590_gallery_post.JPG

Coach teaches Wesley Woodyard and Danny Trevathan proper circle-jerk technique.

IMG_0593_gallery_post.JPG

Kevin Vickerson questions his existence.

IMG_7575_gallery_post.JPG

New center Steven Vallos has never seen the game of football practiced before.

IMG_7644_gallery_post.JPG

Terrance Knighton decides to eat the sled.

IMG_7654_gallery_post.JPG

Danny Trevathan(59) ain't got time fo dat.

IMG_7599_gallery_post.JPG

Vallos still has no idea what's going on.

IMG_7721_gallery_post.JPG

Manning telekinetically hovers the football. Knowshon Moreno is unimpressed.

Edited by theMileHighGuy
  • Upvote 1

DRC carted off the field with a leg injury, couldn't put any weight on the leg. It's a shame too, he was having an excellent training camp. He looked like he would actually be able to showcase the potential that Arizona drafted him for.

Day 6(I think) highlights.

MileHighReport @MileHighReport

Jacob Tamme not in pads today. We'll ask Coach Fox his status after practice. #BroncosCamp (I think he's about to be traded)

Gray Caldwell @GrayCaldwell

Brian Dawkins is watching Broncos practice from Dove Valley today.

CSU coaches and alum are special guests at #BroncosCamp today, including former Steelers and Dolphins LB Joey Porter.

Ryan Clady (shoulder), Sylvester Williams (knee) in sweats as well today, which is no surprise. #BroncosCamp

#BroncosCamp @EricDecker87 just put a sick double-move on Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Beat him deep for a Manning touchdown.

Rahim Moore makes a pick on a deep pass by Manning that was deflected by DRC. Manning's body language says he's not very happy.

Practice on fire today. @WesWelker just beat Tony Carter and Rahim Moore for a TD. Two plays later DRC tips to Rahim for an INT.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie driven off the field. Put no weight on left leg as he was helped into locker room. #Broncos

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 44s

Corner might be the #broncos deepest position, but DRC was having a very good camp.

Cecil Lammey ‏@cecillammey 51s

Another rough day for Montee Ball, now getting work as a blocker on special teams #broncos

MileHighReport ‏@MileHighReport 23s

Montee Ball is having his best practice. Much more decisive, making his cut, getting to the 2nd level. #BroncosCamp

(One guy says Montee is having another rough day, another says he's having his best practice so far... so take that fwiw :shrug:)

Brandon Spano @BrandonSpano

Montee Ball with a cut back, nice explosion through the hole. Would have been a big gain

At the same time, Ronnie Hillman is having a phenomenal practice. Pass protection has been impressive. #BroncosCamp

Brandon Spano ‏@BrandonSpano 1m

Malik Jackson with the ones for the first time this camp

Brandon Spano ‏@BrandonSpano 42s

Manning to Decker for a big gain in two minute drill and then right after, hits him again on a 15 yard out. Both against Tony Carter

Darren McKee @dmac1043

2 min drill first time. Manning 4 plays 59 yards TD corner end zone dt. Brock 10 plays two shots in end zone incomplete we lose. Dysert 3 Plays ends on a Harris int. manning apparently is the best qb

Brandon Spano ‏@BrandonSpano 2m

Manning throwing at Tony Carter over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Poor guy is getting toasted

MileHighReport ‏@MileHighReport 35s

Montee Ball with two touchdowns in red zone work: one rushing TD with the one's, one rec TD with the two's. #BroncosCamp

Brandon Spano @BrandonSpano

By the way, Duke Ihenacho is my star today. This kid is playing lights out against the starting O

Darren McKee ‏@dmac1043 1m

Do NOT sleep on knowshon this year. As you can see dude is bigger and stronger than ever pic.twitter.com/R9CNhzYxle

@MikeKlis: High ankle sprain 2 to 3 weeks for Dominique Rodgers cromartie

Wow, I don't know how Duke Ihenacho ends up anything other than the starter beside Rahim. He has yet to have a bad practice and he has been playing mostly against the first and second teams.

Pretty cool to see Malik Jackson working with the 1s too. Hope that works out he's crazy athletic for such a big guy.

I love Tony Carter but he is just too small to compete with decent sized receivers.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

Cecil Lammey is always blasting our rookie RBs. I don't think Ball has been as bad as Lammey has been saying. I hope Malik Jackson can kick Wolfe down to DT. Jackson just has more athletic ability than Wolfe does, Wolfe gets by at DE with his motor, but he really showcases his skills when he's at DT. Tony Carter would kill it in the slot since slot WRs are generally smaller WRs. Bad day for him, but he's been putting together a pretty solid camp.

Cecil Lammey is always blasting our rookie RBs. I don't think Ball has been as bad as Lammey has been saying. I hope Malik Jackson can kick Wolfe down to DT. Jackson just has more athletic ability than Wolfe does, Wolfe gets by at DE with his motor, but he really showcases his skills when he's at DT. Tony Carter would kill it in the slot since slot WRs are generally smaller WRs. Bad day for him, but he's been putting together a pretty solid camp.

Yeah I'm hot and cold on Lammey. Sometimes I don't understand where he's coming from. Malik has the size and speed to wreck some people at DE. Like pretty much everyone on our line now though, he can play everwhere. Should lead to a lot of interesting packages. Haven't heard much on Jeremy Beal, who was supposedly a better prospect.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 9m

Ryan Lilja has ended his retirment. He's agreed to terms on a 1-year deal with Broncos.

Looks like we coaxed Lilja out of retirement, hope it works out. He's been battling nagging injuries for a while now.

Day 6 MHR recap:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013-denver-broncos-training-camp/2013/7/31/4576204/denver-broncos-2013-training-camp-peyton-manning-takes-over

Denver Broncos 2013 Training Camp: Peyton Manning takes over on Day 6

Day Six of training camp saw Broncos veterans and rookies return from a day off, and plays were made all over the sunny field in front of record attendance, led by the one and only Peyton Manning.

The Denver Broncos returned to the practice field Wednesday to the largest training camp crowd at Dove Valley this year. 4,233 fans took in the sights of Peyton Manning and company a day after rookies and veterans enjoyed a day off.

And what a sight it was. Manning was terrific on Day Six of Denver's 2013 training camp, particularly when running the no huddle in team drills and the two-minute drill.

"They are tough," cornerback Champ Bailey said of the Broncos offense. "They are tough without Peyton, so you add him to the mix and it creates a dangerous offense. They give us a lot of work, we have our hands full. But, we like that challenge because we are not going to see this kind of package come at us any Sunday."

"I think we can be fast," wide receiver Demaryius Thomas said. "I think it’s a big advantage—being in shape, being able to go fast and keep going, know what you’ve got to do at all times—that can wear a defense out. I think that can be a big advantage if we can get it going well and stick to it."

That big advantage saw the Broncos offense abuse the defense in four plays Wednesday in less than a minute. Manning went 3 for 4, with the one incompletion being called pass interference by the refs in attendance.

To put it simply - outside of one tipped interception from Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to Rahim Moore early in practice, Peyton Manning and the offense had the defense's number all day.

Roll Call

Sylvester Williams (left knee) and Jacob Tamme (right quad) did not participate. Ryan Clady (shoulder) was limited in practice as well. Chris Kuper, who is on the PUP list, was seen running after practice. He's limping less than he was even a few practices ago.

Injury Report

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie injured his left ankle and is expected to miss two to three weeks. "He's done it before, so I'm not overly (concerned)," coach Fox said. "It's part of the game. We're going to have even more injuries as we go through." Justin Boren was also carted off with a right big toe injury.

Two-Minute Drill goes Peyton Manning's way

The situation on the Dove Valley was dire: Manning had two minutes to go about 55 yards, down six points. The Broncos defense had an interesting look. Down DRC and Bailey, they featured Malik Jackson as the only down linemen, with a plethora of linebackers, safeties and cornerbacks spread around to provide pass rush and coverage.

Manning read the defense like a book.

His first pass was to Eric Decker, who burned Mike Adams for a big gain before running out of bounds. Next he targeted Decker again, this time being covered by Tony Carter; the pass got the Broncos into the red zone. His next pass was the Decker in the end zone, again covered by Carter, but fell incomplete (a sketchy flag was thrown for pass interference - I think Carter was fine on the play).

Then came the dagger. Manning floated a pass to the corner of the far end zone, toward Demaryius Thomas, who was being closely covered by Omar Bolden. The throw could not have been more perfect, and Thomas came down with the drill-ending touchdown.

There was still 1:10 left on the clock.

"Plenty of time for Joe Flacco to go to work," Tom Nalen jabbed over my ear.

RBs and TEs go one-on-one pass pro

The Pit is one of my favorites when it's OL vs. DL - but it's just as juicy when it's RBs and TEs going against LBs and DBs. RB Jeremiah Johnson looked mighty impressive in this drill, eating Ross Rasnar and Uona Kaveinga alive respectively. I would have liked to seem him go against some tougher competition.

Von Miller was Von Miller in this drill; he made Virgil Green look pretty bad. It was a tough drill for Green; undrafted rookie linebacker Damien Holmes also got the better of the veteran tight end in one-on-one work. Ronnie Hillman did a very nice job against Mike Adams, while Montee Ball whiffed Rahim Moore before improving a little against David Bruton.

"Today I think I missed one, but I’m trying to get perfect on that," said Ball. "I think I had a pretty good day today and I’m still working on that."

Play of the Day

Peyton Manning's most impressive throw today was only possible after a culmination of impressive blocking and route running. With Julius Thomas, Joel Dreessen, and Ronnie Hillman lined up in a three-back set, Thomas broke free on a deep post down the middle of the field. Hillman had one of his customary clutch blocks that gave Peyton the time to find Thomas, who was somehow already 20 yards downfield and breaking wide open. Manning threw it to Thomas in stride, who hauled it in for a big touchdown.

Who Won Today - Montee Ball

It's hard to put into words how much better Montee Ball looked today. It wasn't only his best practice so far - even a moderate practice would have qualified as such. It was a strong, impressive practice from start to finish.

Ball had a nice deep sideline grab, over his shoulder early in practice, and right from there I felt like he was hitting a groove. In 9-on-7's he broke a long run down the left sideline; later in 11-on-11 Montee showed exactly what I wanted to see: decisiveness. He cut once, ran downhill, then made another cut in the second level to break free for a big 10-plus-yard run.

"For sure," Ball said when I asked him if this was his best practice. "Today I finally made some plays and did some good things with my feet."

"One thing I was talking to the other running backs about is now it kind of seems like I’m not thinking as much coming out of the backfield," said Ball. "I’m kind of just reacting now, which is good and comes with film and experience."

Runner Up: Ronnie Hillman Hillman had a great practice too, if just a shade less impressive than Ball's. He continues to be rock-solid in pass protection and the spin move he unleashed today also raised eyebrows. "I stalled them out. I didn’t want to make them look too bad so I just ran off to the side," said Hillman with a laugh. "I could have had the touchdown."

Runner Up #2: Trindon Holliday. Holliday had a great day in receiver work. He seemed to catch everything thrown his way, which was a significant number of passes. Once the ball was in his hands you could see him go into "elite returner" mode, trying to make guys miss and succeeding at one point to sneak into the end zone despite a crowd of Broncos defenders around him.

Who Lost Today - Tony Carter

With Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie down, and Champ Bailey sitting out the last few team drills (his reps are being limited this year, presumably because he's, well, old), it was Tony Carter squaring off against Demaryius Thomas for several of the plays during hurry-up and two-minute work.

It wasn't pretty. Manning went after DT and Carter again and again, with success each time.

Runner Up: Virgil Green. Green had a tough day of drops and at least one missed assignment that I saw, as well as the rough go in one-on-one pass pro I mentioned earlier

Runner Up #2: David Bruton It was a bad practice for a lot of Denver's secondary - as would be expected when Manning looks that good - but I saw Bruton get beaten on a couple of plays in isolation that merited him being mentioned here. Hopefully his next practice is better, because this training camp is his big opportunity.

Next Practice

The Broncos' next practice is Thursday morning at 8:50 a.m. to 11:30 a.m, followed by a closed walkthrough at 6:00 p.m.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

Pictures from Day 6:

IMG_8484_gallery_post.JPG

Apparently Manning's jogging face is in as much pain as his throwing face.

img_0746.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Eric Decker and Gerrell Robinson make fun of Trindon Holliday

IMG_0646_gallery_post.JPG

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie teaches rookie Aaron Hester how to break his ankle.

IMG_0659_gallery_post.JPG

Steve Vallos still doesn't know what's going on. Ben Garland can't help him.

IMG_8091_gallery_post.JPG

Big Vick takes a nap.

IMG_8097_gallery_post.JPG

Derek Wolfe pretends the sled is Kate Upton.

IMG_8124_gallery_post.JPG

Big Vick makes rookie Yobouty do his "O" face.

IMG_8159_gallery_post.JPG

Mitch "Hands" Unrein is disgusted by Sealver Siliga

IMG_8138_gallery_post.JPG

Terrance Knighton's huge ass.

He jus isn't high on Ball and his comments have been consistent with others who have watched TC, that ball looks hesitant right now

Broncos sign Ryan Lilja.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/7/31/4576768/broncos-sign-g-c-ryan-lilja

I did not follow him with the Chiefs. Many Colts fans were upset and confused when Polian released him following the 2009 SB loss to the Saints.

Assuming he is in football shape and healthy he is a smart good player who has the chemistry down already with Peyton.

Could be a very good move in the end.

Broncos sign Ryan Lilja.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/7/31/4576768/broncos-sign-g-c-ryan-lilja

I did not follow him with the Chiefs. Many Colts fans were upset and confused when Polian released him following the 2009 SB loss to the Saints.

Assuming he is in football shape and healthy he is a smart good player who has the chemistry down already with Peyton.

Could be a very good move in the end.

He did finish the season as the 14th best center last year which is a upgrade over koppen

Dammit John! Why couldn't you just leave Ryan ALONE?! He was happy. He was probably fishing. Just stick future all pro Justin Boren in there and call it good.

Dammit John! Why couldn't you just leave Ryan ALONE?! He was happy. He was probably fishing. Just stick future all pro Justin Boren in there and call it good.

You wouldn't know this because your last front office guy wasnt very good at evualuating but Elway has been one of the best. Some of our strengths are UDFA including Chris Harris, tony carter and Wesley Woodyard. 2 of those players were top 5 at their positions, now we have 2-3 other UDFA that are making a name for themselves, one that is turning into a standout on defense and the other a backup wr. Our front office finds talent that other teams miss, sorry yours doesn't.

• Downvote 1

You wouldn't know this because your last front office guy wasnt very good at evualuating but Elway has been one of the best. Some of our strengths are UDFA including Chris Harris, tony carter and Wesley Woodyard. 2 of those players were top 5 at their positions, now we have 2-3 other UDFA that are making a name for themselves, one that is turning into a standout on defense and the other a backup wr. Our front office finds talent that other teams miss, sorry yours doesn't.

Yeah A.J. Smith sucked with UDFA's... Oh wait! What about Antonio Gates, Kris Dielman, Malcom Floyd, Stephen Cooper? Smith's downfall was letting talent leave and reaching for need. He knew how to evaluate talent and we definitely have a better track recorded with undrafted talent than the Broncos. Your desire to crown Elway is entirely premature. He may turn out to be great, but most of the starting roster you have now, he did not draft. And he only got his team above .500 when a 1st ballot hall of fame QB happened to be avaialable for nothing but a contract.

Also, Wesley Woodyard and Tony Carter were both in Denver before Elway took over. Check your facts before you start talking shit. You just make yourself look like a bigger fool.