Sign in to follow this  
AL_Royalty

Jamarcus Russell or Freeman?

Russell:

Russell, widely regarded as the NFL's all-time biggest bust as we all know, has been attempting a comeback for awhile now, as we also know. What I didn't know until watching ESPN this morning is that there have been multiple teams contacting his agent about him. I looked briefly for some recent articles on this phenomenon, but I found nothing current. Word is, though, that the Titans are the latest team to knock on his door.

Apparently Russell is only not on a roster right now because he's rehabbing a knee injury. The fact that there is clear interest in the guy is an encouraging sign for him, and I'd say it's an indicator that he'll almost assuredly going to be on a roster come summertime.

Freeman:

On the other side of the coin, the Vikings and Raiders are openly interested in Josh Freeman. For the Vikings, one doesn't need to ponder the quandary of Ponder very long, while Cassel is clearly a stop-gap QB. Freeman is almost certainly an upgrade from these two.

Meanwhile, apparently the obvious choice of suitor is obvious for a reason. The Raiders are in the conversation for acquiring Freeman, as his old coach would seemingly like to have him back. Matt Flynn has proven to be the latest Kevin Kolb—con-artist, overhyped, OVERPAYED 3rd stringer—while Pryor is, well, Pryor. The Raiders now remind me of yesterday's Browns, just throwing pasta at the wall and hoping it sticks. A star on this team could be cut from a decent roster.

Sum-up:

Both guys have been linked to character issues stemming from maturity and lack of leadership or accountability. Russell has other obvious red flags, but both have been unceremoniously dismissed from teams that had them penned in as franchise QB's. Both are also currently looking for work and garnering legitimate interest from NFL teams.

So the question is if you were running one of these headless horseman franchises, and you had to take one of these guys, which one would it be? Why would you take or not take one or the other?

Personally, I'd probably lean toward Freeman since he's actually been in the league the last three or four seasons, but I'm much more interested to see if Russell can make the comeback and stick somewhere. If he ever gets a start, I'm watching that game. Bet that.

This is really a question lol? At least Freeman had some form of success for a bit. Russell was a failure on the field, off the field, and the film room. Also as far as Freeman, no one knows what bull had he had deal with with Greg Schiano and all that circus mess. I'm pretty sure it was some other stuff going down as well. Freeman shouldn't get all that blame. Don't think that has been a problem before Schiano. I could be wrong though.

http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65374-jamarcus-russell-comeback/?hl=russell&do=findComment&comment=2472554

Edited by dutchff7

This is really a question lol? At least Freeman had some form of success for a bit. Russell was a failure on the field, off the field, and the film room. Also as far as Freeman, no one knows what bull had he had deal with with Greg Schiano and all that circus mess. I'm pretty sure it was some other stuff going down as well. Freeman shouldn't get all that blame. Don't think that has been a problem before Schiano. I could be wrong though.

http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65374-jamarcus-russell-comeback/?hl=russell&do=findComment&comment=2472554

Oh I forgot what a stand-up organization they had there in Oakland when Russell was busting. Talk about a circus. I'm curious to see if he can actually play. He has a HUGE arm.

This. Freeman has had some success, while JaWalrus always sucked.

For the Vikings, one doesn't need to ponder the quandary of Ponder very long...

Clever-Girl-Gif.gif

Well, being that the Eagles are in the market for a QB this becomes an interesting question. I think JaMarcus's head could be where it needs to be now but I don't think mentally he can be an elite QB. He's arm might still be the strongest in the game, but Josh Freeman has had success and I wouldn't mind Kelly taking a flier on the guy as a rebuilding project or at least to push a high draft pick at QB so he can maybe sit and learn the game before he plays. Could be a good idea with this QB class because there's some raw athletes in this bunch from what I understand. I think a guy like Johnny Football could benefit from sitting a year or two before he plays for instance.

Well, being that the Eagles are in the market for a QB this becomes an interesting question. I think JaMarcus's head could be where it needs to be now but I don't think mentally he can be an elite QB. He's arm might still be the strongest in the game, but Josh Freeman has had success and I wouldn't mind Kelly taking a flier on the guy as a rebuilding project or at least to push a high draft pick at QB so he can maybe sit and learn the game before he plays. Could be a good idea with this QB class because there's some raw athletes in this bunch from what I understand. I think a guy like Johnny Football could benefit from sitting a year or two before he plays for instance.

No bro. We don't want to pick up Jamarcus Russell lol. I'd rather our project be a young kid either on our team or in the draft. I'd rather Jamarcus be a rebuilding project for another team. I don't think we need to pick up another older QB that has trouble with progression reads. We need a young QB we can mold.