Sign in to follow this  
KempBolt

Future Running Backs

I know running back is a devalued position and that this is still a ways off, but there are a TON of good sophomore backs in CFB right now. This is what the 2015 class could look like:

• Todd Gurley, 6'1" 232, Georgia, 450 yds at 6.3 YPC in 2013
  • T.J. Yeldon, 6'1" 218, Alabama, 445 yds at 6.2
  • Duke Johnson, 5'9" 196, Miami, 572 yds at 6.8
  • Mike Davis, 5'9" 215, So. Carolina, 614 yds at 6.7
  • Jeremy Hill, 6'1" 235, LSU, 593 yds at 7.5
  • Jonathan Williams, 6'0" 222, Arkansas, 503 yds at 6.2
  • Byron Marshall, 5'9" 207, Oregon 448 yds at 6.3
  • Jordon James, 5'9" 194, UCLA, 463 yds at 6.3
  • Tre Madden, 6'0" 220, USC, 583 yds at 5.3
  • Johnathan Gray, 5'11" 208, Texas, 439 yds at 5.4
  • Kenneth Dixon, 5'11" 215, La. Tech, 554 yds at 6.2
  • Jerron Seymour, 5'7" 200, Vanderbilt, 351 yds at 5.9

To say it will be an amazing class is an understatement. Perhaps as defenses gear up more and more to stop potent passing attacks, offenses will cycle back to featuring the ground game to take advantage of smaller, more finesse stop units. If so, several of these prospects are just the types you want if your plan is to run roughshod over the competition.

I know running back is a devalued position and that this is still a ways off, but there are a TON of good sophomore backs in CFB right now. This is what the 2015 class could look like:

• Todd Gurley, 6'1" 232, Georgia, 450 yds at 6.3 YPC in 2013
  • T.J. Yeldon, 6'1" 218, Alabama, 445 yds at 6.2
  • Duke Johnson, 5'9" 196, Miami, 572 yds at 6.8
  • Mike Davis, 5'9" 215, So. Carolina, 614 yds at 6.7
  • Jeremy Hill, 6'1" 235, LSU, 593 yds at 7.5
  • Jonathan Williams, 6'0" 222, Arkansas, 503 yds at 6.2
  • Byron Marshall, 5'9" 207, Oregon 448 yds at 6.3
  • Jordon James, 5'9" 194, UCLA, 463 yds at 6.3
  • Tre Madden, 6'0" 220, USC, 583 yds at 5.3
  • Johnathan Gray, 5'11" 208, Texas, 439 yds at 5.4
  • Kenneth Dixon, 5'11" 215, La. Tech, 554 yds at 6.2
  • Jerron Seymour, 5'7" 200, Vanderbilt, 351 yds at 5.9

To say it will be an amazing class is an understatement. Perhaps as defenses gear up more and more to stop potent passing attacks, offenses will cycle back to featuring the ground game to take advantage of smaller, more finesse stop units. If so, several of these prospects are just the types you want if your plan is to run roughshod over the competition.

I suspect you're right about the cycle changing. But I think it's more due to the fact that colleges are producing fewer and fewer pure pocket passers and athletic QBs are proliferating like rabbits.

What that means? Well for teams that are rebuilding, you don't need a top 5 pick to get a franchise qb. The supply, even in good years was always very limited for pocket passers. It's undoubtedly going to be worse as programs that feature those qbs dwindle. It's happening even faster at the high school level.

Teams can afford to build strong lines and add a running game. At a very modest draft capital cost. The old blueprint of getting the next Brady, Manning or Luck and then adding passing weapons is being reduced by simple lack of supply. The added value of building a strong running game is that it more directly enhances a dual threat QB's productivity. The two aims are more directly aligned.

Jeremy Hill, 6'1" 235, LSU, 593 yds at 7.5

:makinitrain:

Sign me up.

A lot of off of the field issues with him but he is probably the most talented of the bunch.

Jeremy Hill, 6'1" 235, LSU, 593 yds at 7.5

:makinitrain:

Sign me up.

No.

The competition committee has decided that Denver doesn't get to add any new players until Peyton Manning is dead in the ground.

I like Devonta Freeman quite a bit if he decides to come out.

For my money, it's Yeldon or Gurley. I'd lean more toward Yeldon since bigger backs struggle in the NFL moreso than the not as big guys. Yeldon is speed, but he can run inside the tackles as well. He's one hell of a back. The only red flag for him is that he plays behind a line where everyone is a 1,200 yard back. Gurley is a monster too, but I'm always leery of a guy who can't stay healthy in college.

He's definitely not the most talented, but my favorite is Mike Davis. I love stocky little bowling balls who can catch. Doug Martin, Ray Rice, MJD types are my favorite. A true all purpose back.

He's definitely not the most talented, but my favorite is Mike Davis. I love stocky little bowling balls who can catch. Doug Martin, Ray Rice, MJD types are my favorite. A true all purpose back.

Check out some Lache Seastrunk videos, that's him in a nutshell. :yep:

I'd like to present an FCS option to you folks:

David Johnson, Northern Iowa

6'3, 214 lbs

I can't find any good highlight tapes. Anyway, he's a big, physical back with big play ability and plenty of speed. He's got the size to be an every down back and the speed to be explosive. I've seen him on several occasions, and we all know how he shredded an Iowa State team that nearly beat Texas (that non-fumble call was so ridiculous, such an obvious instance of bias). Anyway, I doubt Johnson gets drafted, but I'm about positive someone will bring him in as an undrafted free agent and discover a definite opening day roster spot.