Sign in to follow this  
Tridentdawgpound

Game of Thrones Season 5

yes yes yes yes YES YES YES YES YES YES NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Plays you perfectly. You just got martin'd.

I think you will understand why Oberyn had to die after the season finale. It sets up a lot of stuff.

Still hard to see him go, as he was easily my favorite character this season, and my favorite minor character overall.

I was thinking about it trying to figure out why it hit me a lot harder than in the books. I came up with three things.

1. I spent 2-3 hours with Oberyn in the books vs 8 weeks with him in the series.

2. In the series, he is a bonafide good guy. In the books, he is kinda grey. He cripples a man in a tourney, albeit unintentionally, (Willas Tyrell), and uses poison on his blade during a duel that was supposed to be to first blood. While he's definitely more good than evil, he isn't solely a hero out to get justified revenge for his sister.

3. The actor absolutely fucking nailed him.

As far as the fight scene goes, in the book the Mountain gets so pissed off at Oberyn repeating his phrase about his sister than he starts going heavily on the offensive, so much so that he actually pushes Oberyn close to the edge of the ring, which was lined with spectators, and ends up taking off one dude's arm, and slicing off the top of another guy's head.

Also Tyrion had a pretty good one-liner that they removed for some reason: "I'm feeling more innocent by the minute."

They also kinda changed the fight. The Viper breaks his spear off in the Mountain's body, it isn't broken by the Mountain. Oberyn is never really touched or even close to losing until the very end.

And I believe the Mountain doesn't trip him, he literally shatters his knee with one hand, but I could be wrong on that, as I don't have the books in front of me.

While I do think they did a good job, I think they could have done a better job.

Ya.. As I mentioned, I really felt that this opens the doors for A LOT of other stuff. Not just Oberyn's death... But the entire episode seemed that way. It seemed like a lot of things would see a little resolution, when in reality all it did was complicate everything further... Which is why I was left a little disappointed with the episode.

Technically, it was fine... But due to my own ignorance I was expecting events to play out a lot differently.

Also, I will say this about the fight which I did not like and maybe you book people can help me out (without any further spoilers, if possible)... Like as soon as they cut to the fight and Oberyn was gloating and showboating and being a dick, I knew he was about to die. Like... maybe that's the way he is in the books... but through these 8 episodes of the TV show, that whole bit REALLY seemed out of character to me and it kinda pissed me off, honestly.

The other stuff that seems to be omitted would have been awesome though. Gregor maiming people in the crowd would have been awesome.. Lmao. And while it might be a small detail, Oberyn breaking his weapon off while in Gregor would have been really bad ass. I can't even imagine why they would change that, really. :shrug:

My point is that Oberyn, a fan favorite, is going into a duel against a tank. In any other show on any other network aside from, maybe, AMC he is 100% safe. It's not killing off characters because its different, its because its realistic. Must've been traumatizing F4E, to be so close...... :smug:

Ya, we talked about this a couple pages ago. The show, while it is shocking for a lot of people... Really shouldn't be. George Martin (or the show runners, whatever) use a heck of a lot of logic when determining how things go.

Also as I mentioned, I knew Oberyn was gonna die, and pretty soon. Didn't expect it to be at that particular spot.... But his story / run seemed EXTREMELY finite -- even knowing that that is true for most characters... I didn't expect him to make it beyond the end of this season.

Oberyn in both show and books was very arrogant and very flamboyant. The martial arts display is not the slightest bit out of character, nor was the dialogue.

Yes, he was very flamboyant.. very confident... The definition of both words. Still seemed really odd to me, though. Especially knowing why he was there and what he set out to do. Just seemed kinda out of place and misguided to me.

He didn't view the fight as the challenge. He never doubted that he would kill Gregor. The challenge to him was getting the confession.

Ya, I can see that and understand it.. Especially with his little pre-fight talking.. Still not a huge fan, but... It is what it is. Now that Oberyn is dead, and assuming Tyrion is next... I would really appreciate if George Martin would start working on killing off more bad or intolerable characters... Sansa has bought herself a TINY bit of time... but Sam, Cersei, Brandon, Theon / Ramsay Bolton.... Die, Die, Die, Die.

Tyrion: "Looks like very light armor."

Oberyn: " I like to move around."

Tyrion: " You could at least wear a helmet."

If only...

Edited by Dutch
  • Upvote 1

Spoiler alert, Tyrion.

Tyrion: Red Viper of Dorn... You don't get a name like that without being deadly... right?

Jamie: I've never seen him fight

Tyrion: Oh, he's going to die.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Really interested in this Battle at the Wall episode next week. Maybe it was one of those chapters I read at like 4 AM because I don't remember it being THAT notable. I mean I remember how it ends but I never thought "Oh that's Episode 9 fo shizzle". Interested to see what they do with it.

• Upvote 1

Really interested in this Battle at the Wall episode next week. Maybe it was one of those chapters I read at like 4 AM because I don't remember it being THAT notable. I mean I remember how it ends but I never thought "Oh that's Episode 9 fo shizzle". Interested to see what they do with it.

Its Ygritte vs Jon. That's what the final part of Episode 9 will be.

Ya.. As I mentioned, I really felt that this opens the doors for A LOT of other stuff. Not just Oberyn's death... But the entire episode seemed that way. It seemed like a lot of things would see a little resolution, when in reality all it did was complicate everything further... Which is why I was left a little disappointed with the episode.

Technically, it was fine... But due to my own ignorance I was expecting events to play out a lot differently.

Also, I will say this about the fight which I did not like and maybe you book people can help me out (without any further spoilers, if possible)... Like as soon as they cut to the fight and Oberyn was gloating and showboating and being a dick, I knew he was about to die. Like... maybe that's the way he is in the books... but through these 8 episodes of the TV show, that whole bit REALLY seemed out of character to me and it kinda pissed me off, honestly.

The other stuff that seems to be omitted would have been awesome though. Gregor maiming people in the crowd would have been awesome.. Lmao. And while it might be a small detail, Oberyn breaking his weapon off while in Gregor would have been really bad ass. I can't even imagine why they would change that, really. :shrug:

Ya, we talked about this a couple pages ago. The show, while it is shocking for a lot of people... Really shouldn't be. George Martin (or the show runners, whatever) use a heck of a lot of logic when determining how things go.

Also as I mentioned, I knew Oberyn was gonna die, and pretty soon. Didn't expect it to be at that particular spot.... But his story / run seemed EXTREMELY finite -- even knowing that that is true for most characters... I didn't expect him to make it beyond the end of this season.

Yeah I think its completely in character for Oberyn to be gloating. He simply thought the Mountain was too far gone to be any sort of threat, (minor spoiler)

for reasons which will become more clear than simply a spear through the chest.

For all intents and purposes, he beat him, so his cockiness was justified. What wasn't justified was his carelessness- he got too close to a man who could literally pop his skull like a grape with his bare hands.

I think they changed the fight a bit to try to make people believe Oberyn was going to win. Its a trope you see a lot- if the good guy never even struggles at all, you know something is about to happen to change the fight. Since Oberyn started the fight out looking to be on his back foot, it raised hope in some that he was going to win. A lot of people I talked to thought the Viper was going to win, hell every last person I was watching it with starting cheering when the Mountain went down and then the sudden reversal- it was one of the more powerful reactions I've seen. I think it hit them harder than the Red Wedding, tbh.

In the books, Oberyn is literally untouched until the very end. He is completely toying with the Mountain, clearly the better fighter, easily going to win. But he makes that stupid mistake and that's all it takes.

After re-reading the fight in the books, I definitely prefer that version to the show, if only for the Mountain losing his composure and maiming the spectators. I'm pretty sure that Oberyn breaks his spear off while flipping over the top of the Mountain, but not 100% positive on that.

Edited by Thanatos19

Its Ygritte vs Jon. That's what the final part of Episode 9 will be.

Nah, she'll be taken out by that kid who's been hanging out at Castle Black. I'd bet money on it.

The best scenes in this episode for me were all because of Sansa. First time I think I've ever thought that about an episode.

• Upvote 1

Nah, she'll be taken out by that kid who's been hanging out at Castle Black. I'd bet money on it.

I didn't mean they would actually fight, I meant that's why its episode 9 material- ex-lovers fighting each other make for good ratings.

But yeah, I agree that kid is going to kill her. He didn't mention he was the best archer in his village for nothing.

Edited by Thanatos19

Perhaps this is the reason.

“Yes, I should have come sooner. If not for my Hand, I might not have come at all. Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.”

And through the smoke another wedge of armored riders came, on barded horses. Floating above them were the largest banners yet, royal standards as big as sheets; a yellow one with long pointed tongues that showed a flaming heart, and another like a sheet of beaten gold, with a black stag prancing and rippling in the wind.

Robert, Jon thought for one mad moment, remembering poor Owen, but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was “Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!”

All Hail Stannis the Mannis

Edited by RazorStar

Yes, I should have come sooner. If not for my Hand, I might not have come at all.

Hue hue hue.

Dear Traitors,

My name is Stannis, and I hate every single one of you. All of you are disloyal, treacherous, scum who spend every second of their day betraying their rightful king. You are everything bad in the world. Honestly, have any of you ever been the legitimate heir to a throne? I mean, I guess it's fun rebelling against your true king because of your own insecurities, but you all take it to a whole new level. This is even worse than having the Kingsguard beat a little girl.

Don't be a stranger. Just hit me with your best shot. I'm pretty much perfect. I was in charge of defending Storms End, and helped put down the Greyjoy rebellion. What wars did you fight in, other than "shoot crossbow bolts at peasants from behind a portcullis". I also get free onions, and have a banging hot red priestess (She just birthed a shadow; shit was SO cash). You are all traitors who should just kill yourselves. Thanks for listening

• Upvote 1

Another thing about the Mountain... they really did not establish how much of a fucking monster he is in the show.

Long ass book quote incoming:

"After the Hand's tourney, it were, before the war come," Chiswyck was saying. "We were on our ways back west, seven of us with Ser Gregor. Raff was with me, and young Joss Stilwood, he'd squired for Ser in the lists. Well, we come on this pisswater river, running high on account there'd been rains. No way to ford, but there's an alehouse near, so there we repair. Ser rousts the brewer and tells him to keep our horns full till the waters fall, and you should see the man's pig eyes shine at the sight o' silver. So he's fetching us ale, him and his daughter, and poor thin stuff it is, no more'n brown piss, which don't make me any happier, nor Ser neither. And all the time this brewer's saying how glad he is to have us, custom being slow on account o' them rains. The fool won't shut his yap, not him, though, Ser is saying not a word, just brooding on the Knight o' Pansies and that bugger's trick he played. You can see how tight his mouth sits, so me and the other lads we know better'n to say a squeak to him, but this brewer he's got to talk, he even asks how m'lord fared in the jousting. Ser just gave him this look." Chiswyck cacked, quaffed his ale, and wiped the foam away with the back of his hand. "Meaning, this daughter of his has been fetching and pouring, a fat little thing, eighteen or so-"

"Thirteen, more like," Raff the Sweetling drawled.

"Well, be that as it may, she's not much to look at, but Eggon's been drinking and gets to touching her, and might be I did a little touching meself, and Raff's telling young Stilwood that he ought t' drag the girl upstairs and make hisself a man, giving the lad courage as it were. Finally Joss reaches up under her skirt, and she shrieks and drops her flagon and goes running off to the kitchen. Well, it would have ended right there, only what does the old fool do but he goes to
Ser
and asks him to make us leave the girl alone, him being an anointed knight and all such.

"Ser Gregor, he wasn't paying no mind to none of our fun, but now he
looks,
you know how he does, and he commands that the girl be brought before him. Now the old man has to drag her out of the kitchen, and no one to blame but hisself. Ser looks her over and says, 'So this is the whore you're so concerned for,' and this besotted old fool says, 'My Layna's no whore, ser,' right to Gregor's face. Ser, he never blinks, just says, 'She is now,' tosses the old man another silver, rips the dress off the wench, and takes her right there on the table in front of her da, her flopping and wiggling like a rabbit and making these noises. The look on the old man's face, I laughed so hard ale was coming out me nose. Then this boy hears the noise, the son I figure, and comes rushing up from the cellar, so Raff has to stick a dirk in his belly. By then Ser's done, so he goes back to his drinking and we all have a turn. Tobbot, you know how he is, he flops her over and goes in the back way. The girl was done fighting by the time I had her, maybe she'd decided she liked it after all, though to tell the truth I wouldn't have minded a little wiggling. And now here's the best bit ... when it's all done, Ser tells the old man that he wants his change. The girl wasn't worth a silver, he says ... and damned if that old man didn't fetch a fistful of coppers, beg m'lord's pardon, and
thank him for the custom
!"

The men all roared, none louder than Chiswyck himself, who laughed so hard at his own story that snot dribbled from his nose down into his scraggy grey beard.