Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Eagles State of the franchise 2014

Apparently the offense is even faster this year.

:devious:

Apparently the offense is even faster this year.

:devious:

Might be being a homer year but I think our offense won't skip a beat without Jackson. We brought in plenty of talent for Foles and have guys coming back off injury. We might even be better without Vick starting 4 games.

I think they'll be around the same, except other NFL teams have this whole offseason to watch film on the Eagles and study what Chip does. We should see some new looks defensively.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/5/29/5762038/eagles-otas-marcus-smith-jack-linebacker-connor-barwin-position

Eagles OTAs: Marcus Smith is exclusively learning Connor Barwin's position

When the Philadelphia Eagles drafted outside linebacker Marcus Smithwith the No. 26 in the 2014 NFL Draft, many were quick to assume Smith would be Trent Cole's eventual replacement. While this still may be the case, Smith isn't currently learning the PREDATOR position, which is what Cole plays. Instead, he's learning the JACK position, which is currently the role of starting outside linebacker Connor Barwin. Smith admitted as much after the Eagles' Thursday OTA practice.

"My coach just wants me to learn JACK right now," explained Smith. "Once I master [JACK] I could start learning the PREDATOR."

Smith downplayed any major difference in the positions, however.

"They're pretty much identical. Sometimes if I'm [rushing the passer], the other guy is dropping. It's either way it goes."

Smith was noticeably seen speaking with Barwin at times during Thursday's OTA practice. The rookie admitted he isn't shy to reach out to the veteran.But the numbers tell a different story. In 2013, Barwin (JACK) rushed 58% of his snaps and dropped into coverage the other 42% of the time. Trent Cole (PREDATOR) rushed at a much higher rate of 78.3% and only dropped into coverage 21.7% of his snaps.

"I try to go to [Connor Barwin] for any advice or any help, try to mirror the stuff he does, try to do the same things he does, because I know he's successful. [...] Connor knows a lot. He's very knowledgeable."

Smith is appreciative of the extra assistance. He admitted there is some adjustment playing as a stand up linebacker.

"In college, I was [lining up] with my hand in the dirt, so standing up is kind of a little bit awkward right now but I just have to listen to my coaches and take it hand in hand."

That doesn't mean Smith isn't uncomfortable dropping into coverage, however. He said that's something he actually has experience doing.

"I like [dropping into coverage] lot. I probably did 50% of that in college. I like dropping a lot. It kind of expands my vision of what's going on in the backfield. [...] I'm comfortable [dropping]. I feel like I can run with smaller fast guys. I feel like my speed is good enough to run with anybody. In football you just have to have the right position and right angles to be able to run with people.

So how often does Smith anticipate dropping into coverage with the Eagles?

"I think it's 50/50. I think you rush and drop at the same time. I think JACK is playing 50/50."

Those estimated numbers roughly match up with how Barwin was used in Philadelphia last season, as previously mentioned. This is interesting because, as Mike Kaye noted earlier, Brandon Graham's spot on the Eagles roster becomes more clear. With Smith learning Barwin's role, Graham figures to once again be the backup to Cole's PREDATOR position.

There's still plenty of time for all of this to be sorted out (it's only OTAs!) before the season and we won't truly know how the Eagles plan to use their linebackers until the games actually start. For now, it's something to keep an eye on.

This is a very interesting development having Marcus Smith learning the JACK position. A few things come to mind with this. If Connor Barwin goes down, we have absolutely no one that can play the position. Having Marcus Smith more versatile can make him a better player. And also, maybe having Marcus Smith and Barwin on the field at the same time; both who are versatile and play both roles and utilizing Barwin in more pass rushing situations like he was in Houston. If Smith and Barwin are on the field at the same time, the defense has no clue if either is rushing or dropping in coverage. Cole and Graham are strictly PREDATOR but Barwin and Smith can be interchangeable so getting to the point to where they can both be on the field at the same time seems it would be a good move for our defense being able to disguise and hide our hand.

Edited by Dutch

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/6/9/5719122/eagles-draft-picks-marcus-smith-contract-louisville

Eagles officially sign Marcus Smith to round out 2014 NFL Draft class contracts

The Eagles have agreed to terms with Marcus Smith. All seven of the Eagles 2014 NFL Draft picks are now under contract.

The Philadelphia Eagles have signed 1st round draft pick outside linebackerMarcus Smith to a four year contract. Smith is the final Eagles 2014 draft pick to sign their rookie contract. Smith's deal was indeed expected to be signed today according to a report from earlier on Monday afternoon.

Smith and the Eagles agreed to terms quickly because now that contracts are slotted, there isn't much negotiation room. Per OverTheCap, as the 26th pick, Smith's contract is expected to total around $7.8 million. This deal ensures that Smith will definitely be ready in time for Eagles training camp, which begins in late July.

Smith enters his first season with the Eagles likely as a backup. The Eagles rookie linebacker told reporters he's exclusively learning the JACK outside linebacker for now. Smith figures to contribute in a rotational role off the bench and as a backup to incumbent veteran starters Trent Cole and Connor Barwin.

A full recap of the Philadelphia Eagles 2014 NFL Draft class:

OLB Marcus Smith
WR Jordan Matthews
WR Josh Huff
DB Jaylen Watkins
DE Taylor Hart
S Ed Reynolds
NT Beau Allen

While majority of the top 100 list is kind of flawed, it's slightly more accurate when you get down the to very top players in the league as all the best players are there. I don't think McCoy is the 5th best player in all of football, he's definitely up there one and of the best. It feels good to have an Eagles player crack the list in the top 10 and get that type of respect and recognition from the league.

615w_McCoy_NFLTop100_070914.jpg

Edited by Dutch
  • Upvote 1

McCoy went from having his worst possible coach to the best possible one. Not only will Chip give Shady the carries he deserves; his scheming and play calling will get him in space and set him up for great runs. I don't think he's the 5th best player in football either, considering he gets support not only from a good coach but from a great offensive line, but he's still an amazing running back.

It's great to have a player who's that considerate to his team. Class act. :clap:

Really hope that with the extra money we have we reward him with a deal he deserves.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/8/4/5967951/kevin-greene-eagles-training-camp-linebackers-pass-rush-coach

Kevin Greene working with the Eagles linebackers in training camp

The Eagles have brought in a pass rushing expert to help them with their linebackers during training camp. Former Pro Bowl and All-Pro linebacker Kevin Greene is assisting defensive coordinator Billy Davis. Greene played for Davis in Pittsburgh and Carolina where the latter served as an outside linebackers coach.

Although Davis is certainly happy to have Greene with the Eagles during training camp, he semi-joked that he shouldn't be here right now.

First of all, he shouldn't be here this week. He should be getting a gold jacket. The guy has got 160 career sacks and I know I'm prejudice to him but I really do believe it's time for him to be in the Hall [of Fame].

But his knowledge of really the simplicity of pass rush and what he's bringing this year for three days to help us just kind of pick his brain on how he did it; the players are grabbing him on how he did it. It was a very basic, fundamental way of rushing the passer that he's bringing to our guys. You have to ask our guys their response to Kevin but we are excited about picking his brain for three or four days before it leaves.

Greene has spent the last five years coaching Green Bay's outside linebackers. He was part of the coaching staff that won a Super Bowl in 2011 and helped develop Clay Matthews into one of the best at his position. Greene recently rescind from his role with the team in order to spend time with his family, so a full-time role with the Eagles seems unlikely, unless he's had a change of heart.

Greene was dominant as a pass rush during his playing days. He accumulated 160 sacks in 15 seasons during his career and is third all-time in the category. He has the most sacks of any linebacker to play in the NFL but is shockingly not a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Wrestling fans may remember Greene from the WCW as he was a tag partner of fellow former NFL player Steve McMichael. He retired from both wrestling and football in 1999.

The presence of Greene at practice can only help the Eagles pass rushers. Trent Cole, Brandon Graham and Marcus Smith may benefit from some outside teaching from a coach who was a special player.

This is awesome to have a hall of fame caliber coach around our young linebacker core. He can teach our guys a lot and I hope he makes a profound impact on them.

Edited by Dutch

I had a chance to spend some time with Marcus Smith, and just God-given, driven athletic ability and talent. He has a lot of potential. If he can just start believing in himself, believing in himself, and playing with his heart, I think he has the potential to be a real special player.
[smith II] is really a fluid, a real fluid player. He reminds me a lot of Clay [Matthews], having the opportunity to coach Clay the last five years. And let me say that he has potential, but potential, you know, that's a dangerous word that word potential. That's gotten a lot of coaches fired, you know what I'm talking about. Very fluid, very athletic. I can see that he can be physical when he wants to. Stick his grill up there and toss people around. Good range of operation on the field, his pass drops look good.

He has a lot of things to learn about the position. There's a lot of little savvy things about that 3-4 outside linebacker position that you know what, you can't force feed it. You just have to continue to introduce that stuff to young Marcus and then slowly and surely he'll get those up, he'll pick those up. All those little pre-snap reads, all the little nuances about the position. He'll start to increase his vision and he'll start to play at a higher speed. Like I said, he has potential to really be a special kid. It really boils down to a lot of heart. How much does that man want to stand out from the pile.

I have to say that has me very optimistic. Greene has a lot of credibility to his name being at the very least a top 3 3-4 OLB of all time AND having coached and developed one of the best in the game today.

I think it's weird that Smith would be described as "fluid."

He has a lot of positive traits, but that wasn't one of them in college. He wasn't flexible, and that stiffness is why I thought he was more top 75 than 1st round caliber.

I'm sure Greene is a great coach, but what he's describing wasn't there at Louisville. Maybe it will be in the pros, but I doubt it.

I think it's weird that Smith would be described as "fluid."

He has a lot of positive traits, but that wasn't one of them in college. He wasn't flexible, and that stiffness is why I thought he was more top 75 than 1st round caliber.

I'm sure Greene is a great coach, but what he's describing wasn't there at Louisville. Maybe it will be in the pros, but I doubt it.

Boo this man

It's been a while since I've updated this thread and it's been needing a lot of attention. Real life has just been a killer lately. Anyway, a lot has happened and our Eagles are currently 2-0. Not the best performances but the team held it together and was able to mount together two comeback wins.

I'd like to start off on a positive note. Darren Sproles has been simply electric. Probably more electric then most people anticipated. He's been a straight mismatch problem in the passing game but has also made some plays in the running game as well. Sproles is proving to be a great asset and a dangerous weapon and has me excited moving forward.

Our defense has improved exceptionally in my opinion; mainly in the 2nd half. Against the Jags, the points they scored primarily came off of short fields off of Nick Foles turnovers. I also believe our defense did a great job against the Colts. We held Andrew Luck was under 100 yards in the first half and only finished with 172 total. Granted, he had 3 TDs (trick screen passes on the goal line but running game carried the drive) our defense got much pass rush and neutralized his effectiveness to a great degree in my opinion. Our pass rush seems to have improved a lot from last year and we've been getting a lot of pressure.

Billy Davis dialed up some great stunt blitzes getting pressure up the middle on Luck and he couldn't get comfortable. It was the Colts running game that primarily moved that offense. We did great against the run last year but had a shaky game this past Monday. However, our Eagles defense played exceptionally better in the 2nd half and the running game wasn't as effective. In each game, our defense has caused turnovers in pivotal points of the game in clutch situations. I like what I've been seeing so far from them and if our defense can continue to perform well, I think we will be a much better team overall.

The negatives have been Nick Foles and our WRs. Foles looks like he regressed a bit. He has left A LOT of plays on the field. There has been a lot of times where WR's were wide open and Foles just never saw them. Then there were times when Foles did see the wide open WR's and just simply failed to throw an accurate pass for the completion. Accuracy was a big part of his game last year and he's been underwhelming in that area so far. He's holding onto the ball to long and not seeing the field which is a huge problem. Between his vision and inaccurate passing down the field and relatively short passes, Chip seems to be dialing up a lot of short and screen passes which is primarily where all of our big passing plays came from (outside a pass or two from Ertz). Foles seems incapable of throwing intermediate and deep passes with success right now. I'm not sure if that's because the coverage is more condensed without a deep threat like Desean Jackson stretching the field or not. But he he's not looking good.

Our WR's have been below average as well:

Jeremy Maclin - 22 targets, 8 receptions, 122 yards and 2 TDs. Most of those yards came off of a blown coverage (which seems to happen a lot of Maclin) and Maclin put up absolutely no fight to prevent an interception last week. He's still soft.

Riley Cooper - 11 targets, 5 receptions, 37 yards and a dropped TD. Cooper has flat out sucked. Really nothing more to say here. He just doesn't seem to have what it takes to start on the outside.

Jordan Matthews - 8 targets, 3 receptions, 54 yards. Matthews has had one notable drop. He's still a rookie so I won't be too hard on him. I do hope he develops into something and I can't wait until Huff comes back from injury.

There has been some drops from our WRs, but outside of that, they have simply looked below average. None have made any notable plays and seem to struggle to get open. Our best receiver is Zach Ertz who appears to be Foles favorite target and I believe Ertz is going to have an amazing year. Foles is going to have to step it up if we plan to beat any good teams this year and make the playoffs. His current production isn't going to take us far.

Edited by Dutch

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/9/19/6538291/eagles-redskins-injury-report-mychal-kendricks-out-

Eagles-Redskins Injury Report: Mychal Kendricks OUT

The Philadelphia Eagles have released their final injury report heading into their NFL Week 3 game against the Washington Redskins this week.

Eagles starting inside linebacker Mychal Kendricks has been ruled out. Kendricks is dealing with a calf injury that caused him to miss practice this week. The loss of Kendricks is obviously significant. Kendricks had been playing well and the depth behind him is highly suspect.

It seems that Emmanuel Acho is favored to start in place of Kendricks. Backup Casey Matthews struggled when filling in for Kendricks against the Indianapolis Colts and was benched for Acho. It's also possible the Eagles activate rookie first round pick Marcus Smith II to help out at inside linebacker. Smith II, drafted as an outside linebacker, hasreportedly been training on the inside this week.

Elsewhere on the Philadelphia's injury report, rookie wide receiver Josh Huff is doubtful to play. Huff has been a limited participant in progress this week. Huff has been out since suffering an AC sprain in mid-August. Huff is targeting a Week 4 return against the San Francisco 49ers.

Offensive lineman Matt Tobin returned to practice as a full participant this week. Tobin has been dealing with a high ankle injury that's kept him out of action since the Eagles-Jets preseason finale. With Tobin's status in question, look for Dennis Kelly to continue to start at left guard while Andrew Gardner gets the nod at right tackle.

Backup safety Earl Wolff is also questionable. Wolff was a limited participant in practice on Thursday. It remains to be seen if Wolff's knee injury is the same one that was bothering him last year and at times during training camp this year.

All other Eagles players listed on the team's injury report are probable or better. This includes starting cornerback Cary Williams and starting defensive end Fletcher Cox, both of whom were limited in practice on Thursday.

Philadelphia Eagles Injury Report (Friday)

OUT

ILB Mychal Kendricks (calf)

Doubtful

WR Josh Huff (shoulder)

Questionable

S Earl Wolff (knee)

OL Matt Tobin (ankle)

Probable

OG Todd Herremans (knee)

CB Nolan Carroll II (elbow)

TE Zach Ertz (knee)

S Malcolm Jenkins (shoulder)

WR Brad Smith (groin)

CB Jaylen Watkins (hamstring)

CB Cary Williams (hamstring)

DE Fletcher Cox (back)

Eagles injury reports: Wednesday | Thursday |

Washington Redskins Injury Report (Friday)

Washington wide receiver DeSean Jackson has officially been ruled questionable. Expectations seem to be that he will play.

In non-Jackson news, Washington ruled out starting tight end Jordan Reed, backup cornerback Tracy Porter, and backup linebacker (and former Eagles player) Akeem Jordan. Quarterback Robert Griffin III was ruled out earlier in the week. Backup signal caller Kirk Cousins will start in place of Griffin III.

OUT

QB Robert Griffin III (ankle)

LB Akeem Jordan (knee)

CB Tracy Porter (hamstring)

TE Jordan Reed (hamstring)

Doubtful

DL Kedric Golston (groin)

Questionable

WR DeSean Jackson (shoulder)

K Kai Forbath (right groin)

G/C Kory Lichtensteiger (groin)

Probable

RB Roy Helu Jr. (quadricep)

OG Shawn Lauvao (knee)

LB Brian Orakpo (ankle)

FB Darrel Young (neck)

S Ryan Clark (foot)

Kendricks being out is going to be a huge loss for us. He may be slightly inconsistent at times but he's the best guy we have and the disparity between him and the #2 guy is enormous. Kendricks has done a good job applying pressure in blitz packages so far and he always seems to make huge splash plays in big moments. So he does have that going for him despite his inconsistencies. Word is that Marcus Smith is getting reps at ILB. This is going to be interesting to see and I hope he finally gets to play even though he'll be out of position.

Edited by Dutch

Apparently Marcus Smith may play at ILB? That's interesting.

Anyway, you pretty much summarized it, Dutch: great to be 2-0 despite some shaky performances, love to see a team that can come back, the WRs and Foles kinda suck so far.

The ultimate outcome of this season will depend on our division games. Hopefully we start that with a W this Sunday.

Anyway, you pretty much summarized it, Dutch: great to be 2-0 despite some shaky performances, love to see a team that can come back, the WRs and Foles kinda suck so far.

The ultimate outcome of this season will depend on our division games. Hopefully we start that with a W this Sunday.

I have a feeling we might see some ILB zone blitzes. That is exciting.

The negatives have been Nick Foles and our WRs. Foles looks like he regressed a bit. He has left A LOT of plays on the field. There has been a lot of times where WR's were wide open and Foles just never saw them. Then there were times when Foles did see the wide open WR's and just simply failed to throw an accurate pass for the completion. Accuracy was a big part of his game last year and he's been underwhelming in that area so far. He's holding onto the ball to long and not seeing the field which is a huge problem. Between his vision and inaccurate passing down the field and relatively short passes, Chip seems to be dialing up a lot of short and screen passes which is primarily where all of our big passing plays came from (outside a pass or two from Ertz). Foles seems incapable of throwing intermediate and deep passes with success right now. I'm not sure if that's because the coverage is more condensed without a deep threat like Desean Jackson stretching the field or not. But he he's not looking good.

Honestly, I'd actually take some comfort in his development.

I never expected him to sustain the ridiculous pace he mounted in 2013 in a limited sample size. I wanted to see how well he develops mentally, when the game isn't coming easy. And thus far, if I were an Eagles fan, I'd be absolutely thrilled at what I see.

The ability to continue to perform under adversity is an absolute requirement for great QBs. Foles isn't great at this point. But he is very promising. I'd put him right now at the same level of Wilson and Luck. And his ability to rally his team in games where he's making mistakes is really something that should excite you. Learning how to keep plugging away and having that store of confidence (as opposed to hubris) that only comes from actually having success in the low moments is going to be huge for him going forward.

The league and/or the law of averages was going to catch up to Foles eventually. But he's showing very real growth. Even if it may not look like it. And he very clearly appears to be the kind of QB that is going to humbly and tirelessly put in the work to be great.

I see a player learning how to become great. And a player with the disposition to pay the price in dedication and effort to be great.

Skins don't have a great defense but Foles played great without the support of his usually strong running game and with the injuries to the offensive line Foles was constantly being hit and pressured but didn't take sacks and make mistakes.

I don't care as long as there aren't any suspensions.

• Upvote 1

Vs :Redskins:

A lot of action in this game. We gave up more points then I'd like but I'm proud of my team coming out of this game with a win.

Positives:

Nick Foles really stepped up in this game. He missed a deep ball or two which is something he has to work on but overall, Nick Foles had a great game. He was a lot more accurate in this game and placed the ball in some very tight windows. He seemed a lot more settled in this game and was very poised in the pocket even with him getting slammed because of our injured and battered offensive line. Nick Foles took a lot of big hits and he really demonstrated his toughness in this game and fought for his team in a tough division game. Foles kept his eyes down the field and going through his progressions and made good decisions with the football.

Wide Receivers - Jeremy Maclin and Jordan Matthews stepped up big time. Matthews was effective in the redzone and came down with two TD passes and showed good awareness to keep his feet in bounds. Maclin was making plays all over the place and still seems primed for a career year in Chip Kelly's system. The other two games he got some easy plays off of blown coverages and easy TD's but he put in work this game and played hard. He would have had 234 yards if his 80 yard screen TD wouldn't have been called back. Also a wide open pass when Maclin was behind the defense which would have been a TD. He's scored in each game so far.

Malcolm Jenkins - Jenkins has been a straight stud for us so far. He's had two clutch game changing interceptions in our last two games that helped us seal the game. He's also bringing some good leadership and influence to our team so far. A really solid pick up for us.

Chip Kelly - I really think this guy is a genius mastermind and really knows how to play the chess game. With all of the injuries to our offensive line, Chip Kelly made the adjustments in our play calling and dialed up mismatches so that our team can still be effective. With our slow starts in our games so far, Chip has put together halftime game plans that have been almost masterful considering the improvement from the first half to the second half.

Chris Polk - Glad to have Polk back from injury and he proved his worth with his very first touch returning a kickoff for a TD. We haven't had a KO for a TD in like 5-6 years lol.

Fletcher Cox and Bennie Logan - Cox continues to be an impact play maker. He's extremely disruptive and Logan was a tackling machine. He was in just about every play.

Brandon Boykin - More snaps please?

Cody Parkey - Our franchise kicker :wub: Made the clutch kick to win us the game

Negative:

Pass defense - First off, I'd like to give Kirk Cousin's and the Redskins some credit. They played a great offensive game plan and Cousins was lights out coming off the bench. He's no question the franchise QB for their organization. However though, our pass defense was straight putrid. Bradley Fletcher, Cary Williams, and Nate Allen had horrible games. Bradley Fletcher allowed 9 catches, 104 yards and 2 TDs. One of them was horrible effort at the goalline vs Garcon. Carry Williams allowed 7 catches and 98 yards. And Nate Allen 5 catches, 110 yards and one TD who allowed Desean Jackson to score on us :disgust:

Our pass rush was also non-existent. I think Mychal Kendricks presence was missed in the pass rush not having him blitz the QB like he's been doing the last two games. Still though, our other guys need to step up and make plays.

Overall, a great team effort from my boys. If this team has shown us anything this year, they have shown us resiliency. This team has fought their way back into games and have played hard. They have shown a lot of heart. Regardless of our issues, I'm glad to be 3-0 right now. Go EAGLES! :rockon:

Edited by Dutch

2014: The Dynasty Begins

Eagles are the number 1 offense in the league. They have more playmakers than any other team. We're 3-0 and we're gonna win the Super Bowl. Better record than the defending champs. Better record than Denver.