Sign in to follow this  
VikesRule

Phil Emery: Developing late-round quarterbacks doesn't work

Bears General Manager Phil Emery is not a believer in taking a quarterback late in the draft.

Emery says he has studied the development of quarterbacks in the NFL and found that teams that draft quarterbacks in the late round rarely turn those players into franchise starters.

“I just did a little study. It’s very interesting,” Emery said. “That developmental theory doesn’t hold a whole lot of water. There’s entire classes of quarterbacks, since ’06, I went back and looked at from [Jay Cutler's draft class] on — when people say developmental quarterbacks, OK, so who has gotten developed? There isn’t a single quarterback after the third round since 2006 that has been a long-term starter. So you’re either developing thirds, and most of them have been wiped out of the league. So to get a quality quarterback, you’ve got to draft them high. That 2012 class is a blip on the radar that’s unusual, highly unusual.

“That 2012 class is a blip on the radar that’s unusual, highly unusual,” Emery said. “Most of the starters in this league come from the first and second round. So that’s where you need to take a quarterback. So when you talk about quarterback every year, they have to be somebody that you truly believe will beat out the second and third quarterback that you perceive on your roster. And if not, history shows that you shouldn’t make that pick.”
Source

I agree 100% with him. Everybody brings up Brady as if the exception disproves the rule. To be a successful, longterm QB you need to be drafted in the first or second round (with the rare exceptions like Wilson, Foles, and Brady). "Developmental" QBs just do not seem to ever pan out...
  • Upvote 1

Developmental QBs don't work because most teams don't have the time to develop them. Guys like Wilson are only making it harder on those later round guys as well because everyone wants them to play and be good right away.

They don't. This conversation is had almost every year, and its beaten down to a pulp. If you want a franchise QB your best is always to take him in the first.

Most "dvelopment QBs" have at least one thing that holds them back from ever living up to whatever potential some people have them having.

Expecting anything more then solid backup and temporary starter for those guys will leave you disapointed 9.8 times out of 10.

Even Ryan Fitzpatrick is an outlier. There's a reason why these QB's aren't going early.

I agree 100%. I mean if you're looking for a guy you expect to be a backup, then it isn't a big deal but expecting to possibly develop a late round guy into a quality starter is going against the odds.

I'm not 100% in agreement with it. I think basically these QBs don't ever get a chance or resources therefore they don't develop. I praised Carroll to no end for giving Wilson the chance to compete after paying Flynn big money. You'll never see that in the NFL outside of him.

• Upvote 1

We'll see if Osweiler can hack it when the time comes. He's basically had his whole rookie contract to just develop, and he'll get another contract before he ever plays a regular-season down. Personally I think this mantra is going to hold true and he's going to fail hard, but he has all the tools you need and has had every opportunity and resource available for his development.

We'll see if Osweiler can hack it when the time comes. He's basically had his whole rookie contract to just develop, and he'll get another contract before he ever plays a regular-season down. Personally I think this mantra is going to hold true and he's going to fail hard, but he has all the tools you need and has had every opportunity and resource available for his development.

I don't know how much of actual development he is getting with Peyton dominating practice time. I'm sure the film room and QB meetings is good prep for him though.

But question that is a little off topic because I find it interesting and wonder what you think. Between Osweiler and Dysert who do you think has a better chance to take over after Manning?

I don't know how much of actual development he is getting with Peyton dominating practice time. I'm sure the film room and QB meetings is good prep for him though.

But question that is a little off topic because I find it interesting and wonder what you think. Between Osweiler and Dysert who do you think has a better chance to take over after Manning?

If Dysert is still on the roster come the end of preseason, I think that's going to say A LOT. You don't carry 3 QBs on a team with Manning for no reason. He looked great in preseason last year, better than Oz imo. He stood in the pocket and let fly. He got hit a ton at Miami Ohio, and I think it actually helped him not be gun shy or skiddish in the pocket. Oz on the other hand has a tendency to break the pocket and sprint for the sideline... probably because he barely had a year as a starter. I'm not really a fan of big bird at all, but he's Elway's golden boy... I just hope Zac gets a decent look.