Sign in to follow this  
KempBolt

AFC West Roster Analysis

Chargers RBs over Jamaal Charles is the only one I took major issue to. The Chargers have a solid set of guys, but nobody like Charles. It's like taking a deep RB team over AP or McCoy. It just doesn't happen.

• Upvote 2

I have to agree with Chern on the RB position, but other than that I pretty much completely agree across the board. You even said yourself though that it was very close and I agree with that. The only thing my homer brain could possibly challenge is the analysis of Danny Trev, who I think will (again) be one of the best players at his position next year. He can run, he can cover, led the team in interceptions, and off the top of my head I can't think of a single bad missed tackle on his way to racking up almost 130. He was arguably the best player on the defense last year. Nagging injuries and a shitty attitude got Woody in the doghouse, and Trev's play kept him there.

I find it very difficult to classify a lot of our players. Malik Jackson and Derek Wolfe both play end and tackle depending on the down. Von is just all over the place... and (unfortunately imo) there's been no signs in camp that he's going to stop playing a true sam backer role. I think dropping the weight again will help him in coverage, I just believe that every down that he's not rushing the passer is kind of a waste. If he thinks he can do it though, no one's going to argue with him.

Pretty stoked you mentioned Quanterius Smith. He has looked great in OTAs and mini-camp and I think they're expecting a lot out of him. I'm also hoping for really good things out of Wolfe and Moore after both of their careers were almost over last year and seeing how they've rebounded so far.

• Upvote 1

I definitely get why someone would look at Charles vs. the rest of the backs in the division and just give the #1 spot to KC. I did that last year, and almost did it again this year. But it was the addition of Donald Brown that swayed me towards the Bolts. Perhaps that's just my own homer brain at work. Ultimately, I think it comes down to what one thinks of Knile Davis. I didn't like the guy before the draft, and I don't feel any differently about him now. Thus I look at the KC depth chart and see nothing to really get excited about behind Jamaal.

So when I weigh three backs that I believe to be above average in quality against one elite guy, I give the nod to the depth. I understand the added value of having one player that can do it all, eliminating the need for substitution, but that doesn't quite balance the scales in my mind.

That's an interesting insight about Woodyard's attitude, MHG. I hadn't heard that, and always thought his benching was sort of mysterious.

Chernobyl, is your comment about a deep RB team vs. AP or McCoy referring to FF?

Chernobyl, is your comment about a deep RB team vs. AP or McCoy referring to FF?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive Donald Brown fan, and a Woodhead, Mathews, Brown mixture is definitely something to be excited about. Only thing is I think a feature back with so much upside (Charles) outweighs or at least balances an above-average RB committee. I can see your perspective on it though. It's a toss-up and all about perspective.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive Donald Brown fan, and a Woodhead, Mathews, Brown mixture is definitely something to be excited about. Only thing is I think a feature back with so much upside (Charles) outweighs or at least balances an above-average RB committee. I can see your perspective on it though. It's a toss-up and all about perspective.

I probably come at it from the angle that I do because of how bad SD has been burned by RB injuries over the past few seasons. Depth has become really valuable in my eyes. But I get the value added in having one guy who can do it all and doesn't need to be subbed out in any scenario. I won't argue (anymore) with anyone who takes that approach.

Edited by KempBolt

One area I might disagree on is the o-line category. I still have little faith in our offensive line in the passing game. I mean we had to change our entire scheme last season (rightfully so) to a shorter passing game simply because they couldn't hold up in longer developing passing plays. So I would maybe peg the Raiders above our group but I'm not even sure about what the revamped Raiders o-line will look like next season. I do worry about how our o-line will hold up against the NFCW opponents.

One area I might disagree on is the o-line category. I still have little faith in our offensive line in the passing game. I mean we had to change our entire scheme last season (rightfully so) to a shorter passing game simply because they couldn't hold up in longer developing passing plays. So I would maybe peg the Raiders above our group but I'm not even sure about what the revamped Raiders o-line will look like next season. I do worry about how our o-line will hold up against the NFCW opponents.

Well, with the exception of Clary they run blocked well. And scheme can't fake that. And in protection, I understand that our scheme helped them some, but it also isn't exactly fair to judge them based on what things looked like in 2012 under Norv… that scheme truly asked a ton from the OL, especially considered that there was no threat of a running game.

I'm not claiming we're a top 10 unit, but I think we're squarely in the upper half of the league. And it wasn't a tough called to place us at #2 since the only other options were Oakland (improved, but 4 new starters, none of them super talented, and one a rookie) and Kansas City (lost their top 3 and relying a lot of players who haven't shown well in the league to this point).

In terms of your list I'd have to agree to just give the Chiefs the #1 spot off Charles alone, but I do really like the Chargers stable so I'm not even that mad at it. McCoy got Mathews finally playing up to his potential and the depth is very nice.

Quanterus Smith!!!! I drafted him in the 2013 Mock Draft Game knowing he had the ACL tear. So my 2013 mock draft for the Jags looked really terrible (Given Geno Smith and Kawann Short were the only guys to get much playing time.) But I loved his pass rush ability, especially when he gave the 2012 Alabama OL fits sacking the shit outta McCarron with a weak Western Kentucky squad.

Cody Latimer is also one of my other dudes, as well as Philip Gaines for the Chiefs! I'm pumped the Chiefs moved on from Flowers which gives my boy Gaines more opportunity. I think he's going to be really good in time. Could struggle as a rookie as a lot of rookie CBs do, but this guy reminds me of a taller, faster Brent Grimes. I think Jason Verrett is going to be very very good too. Both Verrett and Gaines were in my top 3 CBs for this draft. Fuller was the other. Roby has the most potential but he's gotta work on locating the ball in the air.

• Upvote 1