Maverick

Official Soccer Thread

After the first half of USA v Canada I'm not a fan of Jermaine Jones as a center back

Watched the second half....I was wondering if he was playing CB. Lol

Fuck Leicester and all their fans.

They are an average team with a golden horseshoe rammed up their ass. All 3 goals they scored were either of a deflection or a set piece given to them by a ref that made questionable calls all game in favor of them.

• Downvote 1

I just saw this write up on Leicester City, pretty crazy that a team that started the season with 3/1 odds of getting relegated is now the favorite to win the league

If you are not watching the Premier League, here is why you are missing out on the greatest underdog fairytale in the history of any professional sport. : sports

• Upvote 1

Fuck Leicester and all their fans.

They are an average team with a golden horseshoe rammed up their ass. All 3 goals they scored were either of a deflection or a set piece given to them by a ref that made questionable calls all game in favor of them.

lol..

City got shit on, Churles. Deal with it.

I'm rooting for Leicester or Arsenal to win it all since my team blows. :mjtears:

• Downvote 1

Arsenal? :ugh:

:lol: @ Orlando City's president having to write an open letter to it's fans to not be dicknoses at away matches. http://www.orlandocitysc.com/post/2016/02/10/open-letter-orlando-city-fans

Edited by CampinWithDonPeytonManning

Jacksonville Armada FC lol

guess who won? :kobe:

Apparently Orlando City supporters were mad after taking the L to a NASL team that they beat up a 14 year old for his shirt and scarf like it's the 80's in England. Class group. :yao:

Edited by CampinWithDonPeytonManning

I just don't know anymore. Gutless team. 6-0. Bottom of the table....feelsbadman...real bad.

CbMVR5pWcAAggs2.jpg

Edited by BJORN

^Big win for sure. You guys are playing very well.

Sorry Bjorn, I think you guys are definitely getting relegated at this point. It was nice enjoying the win but I do feel bad for ya.

I had the glorious pleasure of watching the Barca game yesterday...I literally screamed a couple times during moments in the second half. I can post thousands of links, but some of the things I saw....holy shit.

https://streamable.com/ls07

^let's also note right before this, Neymar rainbowed a defender lol. And this was the PK:

Edited by Maverick
  • Upvote 2

Wow I have never seen a PK taken like that. Crazy.

Holy shit...I hope that doesn't become a thing. That is literally unstoppable unless the keeper commits to that from the start...which is impossible.

Neymar gon look good in Man City tho :smug:

Holy shit...I hope that doesn't become a thing. That is literally unstoppable unless the keeper commits to that from the start...which is impossible.

it just forces defenders to get involved, I actually don't really mind it especially since teams will be watching for it now, kinda silly to pull that out in a 4-1 game

having said that, I wouldn't complain about changing the rule to require the ball to hit either the keeper or a post before another attacking player

Edited by oochymp

Neymar gon look good in Man City tho :smug:

If the stat I read is accurate (which I believe it is), that's only the fifth time a penalty has been taken like that since 1957. It's not going to become a trend.

No, Neymar will not be a Man City player. I am 95% sure.....I hope.

it just forces defenders to get involved, I actually don't really mind it especially since teams will be watching for it now, kinda silly to pull that out in a 4-1 game

having said that, I wouldn't complain about changing the rule to require the ball to hit either the keeper or a post before another attacking player

I don't think it was silly at all. I assume you think it's silly because they wasted the opportunity to use it in a meaningless game and now teams will be prepared for it. That's not the case. There won't be a rule change. As I said above, previously this has only been done four times since 1957. It's nothing more than a trick play that's very impressive when successfully executed. Contrary to what Charles thinks, it's not unstoppable and decreases your chances of scoring which is why it's rarely performed.

We won't be seeing this again for quite some time which makes it so awesome.

I don't think it was silly at all. I assume you think it's silly because they wasted the opportunity to use it in a meaningless game and now teams will be prepared for it. That's not the case. There won't be a rule change. As I said above, previously this has only been done four times since 1957. It's nothing more than a trick play that's very impressive when successfully executed. Contrary to what Charles thinks, it's not unstoppable and decreases your chances of scoring which is why it's rarely performed.

We won't be seeing this again for quite some time which makes it so awesome.

that's fair, I certainly will never claim to know much when it comes to soccer history, seems this is one of those moves that's pulled out right about when everyone forgets about it, because you're right, it's not that hard to stop if defenders are expecting it (is Charles forgetting that defenders can also enter the box once the ball is kicked?) also I would assume with the rarity (I think) of penalty kicks choosing your spot to use it could be difficult

Palace :rock:

Congrats, Spurs were so unlucky in this match :lol: Still don't know how they didn't get one goal, the one literately hit both posts while rolling along the goal line. Brutal. Good thing is though they can drop a competition and stay healthier to make a run for the League title

:notbad:

Congrats, Spurs were so unlucky in this match :lol: Still don't know how they didn't get one goal, the one literately hit both posts while rolling along the goal line. Brutal. Good thing is though they can drop a competition and stay healthier to make a run for the League title

:notbad:

Yeah, Pardew even said there was a lot of luck involved in that game after the match. Palace have been terrible in the second leg of the BPL so it was nice to see this happen. It'd be awesome if they can beat Reading and get to Wembley for this team moving forward and maybe they could use this to jump-start themselves a bit in the Premiership and at least finish top half.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Yeah, Pardew even said there was a lot of luck involved in that game after the match. Palace have been terrible in the second leg of the BPL so it was nice to see this happen. It'd be awesome if they can beat Reading and get to Wembley for this team moving forward and maybe they could use this to jump-start themselves a bit in the Premiership and at least finish top half.

Yeah, A good soccer twitter follow (though he is a Spurs writer/fan) is @MC_of_A he does great metrics work on showing which team was more dominant in a game beyond stat like Shots on Goal and Possession etc. His main thing is "Expected Goals" meaning how many chances does a team create. Even if they don't go in, they created a chance and were dangerous etc. This was the Spurs/Palace game:

CbwQOfOWIAED6xs.png

"Rough xG sum" is rough expected goal summary. So basically Spurs played well enough to get about one and half goals yet got none and Palace were expected to get half a goal but were more clinical and got one. That's soccer though, gotta be clinical when you get the chances. :yep:

I like Palace, mostly because of the passion of their fans. So I'll be rooting for y'all from here on out. :yep: