BC

Green Bay Packers @ Seahawks Seahawks || NFL '14 Thursday Night Kickoff 8:30ET

If Carp and Sweezy are as much improved as they look tonight... trouble.

They have looked this good all camp. Sweezy could play his way onto a pro bowl spot.

Well the Packers played a lot worse than I thought they would. Looking back at the game, there were soo many missed opportunities and boneheaded plays. Against a great team like Seattle, you cannot drop 3 interceptions or give them free yards. The run defense has me real pissed off since it is still horrible. We are trying to use a small D-line while having two horrible ILBs and a secondary that cannot tackle. All this adds up to huge holes and RBs running rampant.

Also the offensive playcalling was puzzling at times. Lacy is a 1-cut north and south RB, so all the outside running plays were bewildering. Along with a lot of long developing pass plays against a Seattle defense while leaving a 3rd string OT by himself quite often.

Overall, this game showed the Packers need to improve quite a bit if we want to be true contenders.

Was a good game from the Hawks perspective. I do believe that you aren't necessarily as good or bad as you look on any given game.

Few positives for Green Bay:

1. No huddle worked well. It's a new scheme and particularly difficult to execute in a place like Seattle. Fans knew this and really kept up the volume even before the Packers got into their mini huddles. Still, it worked well to keep our situational packages on the sideline. Seattle loves to rotate their DL exhaustively. The game plan worked well in that regard and did result in allowing GB to run effectively when they caught us in a light DL package.

2. Interesting that they sacrificed one receiver on Sherman's side. I think a lot of teams are going to look at that and take that same tactic. Seattle effectively rolled their coverage underneath and over the top over to Maxwell's side all game. It's a kind of pick your poison deal. Seattle was able to basically do a 10 on 10 drill on the right half of the field. Losing Lane again to a groin injury is going to affect Seattle going forward. I expect us to pick up one or even 2 corners we released at the 53 cutdown.

3. I expected the loss of Raji to be a bit understated. Seattle is a ZBS blocking team. We have guys who are more athletic and shield/wall off defenders instead of lock on and create push. I thought it would actually benefit the Packers to match athletic DTs against our interior guys. In between the tackles, I think Seattle dominated Green Bay. Lynch ran a lot of power runs and GB looked unable to match it.

4. Loading the middle. There were many instances where GB threw 8 and even 9 men in the box. Particularly in our 22 and 21/12 sets. Often times these can result in big Lynch runs as he gets through the LOS and finds clear sailing. But in just about every instance, GB was able to bottle him up and get him to the ground.

5. Pass pro. Outside of Sherrod's two sacks allowed -- I though GB did an outstanding job of keeping Rodgers clean. We didn't really get much pressure on him all night. He didn't have to move off his spot much at all.

For Seattle:

1. Harvin -- don't get hurt. The 'Harvin effect' is so readily apparent on plays where he isn't even part of the play.

2. Wilson. If he is merely a game manager then he must be a maestro. Carroll repeated many times before we even drafted Wilson that he was ultimately looking for a point guard QB. That is a really apt description of Wilson. He is very reminiscent of a great point guard who can occasionally pop for 20, but usually goes for 14-16 a game and drives the offense. To me, he's the Magic Johnson of the QB position. Physically atypical of the position, able to go for really good traditional numbers if called on -- but a guy who fills up the stat sheet across the board and consistently puts his team in position to execute. Just makes game impacting plays on a steady basis at big moments, with a steady dose of 'WOW' plays.

For a guy who didn't pass for 200 yards -- that was an impressive offensive outburst. Probably 150 of those yards were in critical situations.

3. Fundamentals. The real secret to Seattle's defense is, in my opinion, far more mundane than exotic notions of 'big corners' or physical/grabby corners. There is a trait that Seattle really demands of all of it's players. Great tackling. Seattle works tackling religiously in camp/practice. Speed is a huge component of their design -- but only insofar as it aids tackling. The ability to get guys to the ground at the moment of contact is severely underrated across the league. And one of the main reasons why I think our defense will take a very modest regression to the mean with the new rules.

I'm surprised the Packers ran the ball as much as they did, though they deserve credit for maintaining balance against the Seahawks. I still think they're an elite team in the NFC; Seattle is just unmatched right now, especially if Harvin is healthy most of the season.

I'm surprised the Packers ran the ball as much as they did, though they deserve credit for maintaining balance against the Seahawks. I still think they're an elite team in the NFC; Seattle is just unmatched right now, especially if Harvin is healthy most of the season.

Thank god I have him on my fantasy. :yep:

• Upvote 1

Looking back at a few highlights and videos, I find it hilarious how Seattle's center goes unnoticed on that 1st TD throw. Easily should have been illegal man downfield. Also the Packers only had 10 guys on the field on Lynch's 9yd TD run. C'mon Capers/defense...

On the sea TD, linemen were not downfield - it's only a foul if linemen are more than one yard downfield. The center was only 1

https://twitter.com/MikePereira/status/507701678670237696

He may have been farther down the field after the ball was released but its legal.

@ScrappyGymRat it's at the point where the ball was released

https://twitter.com/MikePereira/status/507702563202809860

Edited by Sacks98