Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Raheem Morris to be named Falcons Asst. HC

Redskins DBs coach Raheem Morris has verbally accepted a job as assistant head coach of the Falcons.

Seahawks DC Dan Quinn will be introduced as the new Falcons head coach following Sunday's Super Bowl. He'll bring along Morris, who played for Quinn at Hofstra in the late 1990s and has head-coaching experience with the Bucs from 2009-11. Morris will coordinate the pass defense while new DC Richard Smith will focus on the run defense.

It's a "meh" hire.

Not great, not bad. Being that he has been brought in as an "assistant" defensive coordinator, that should mean that Dan Quinn is probably going to be calling the plays on that side of the ball. That's a good thing for us. I'm stoked for Dan Quinn to become our head coach, he's got a fire about him from what I've seen, something Smith really lacked. And being that he's coming from Seattle, a team that is very "you earn the playing time you get" is real exciting for Falcons fans too. For years now since Smith came to our team it's been that they would start guys based on where they were drafted or how much money they are making.

I severely hope that Quinn brings that Seattle mentality with him where the best guy plays.

Curious to see what Morris will bring for us though other than another body to help deal with players.

Richard Smith is imo a far more important hire for the Falcons. He did such an incredible job with our linebackers and they all developed tremendous respect for him. Over the last two years or so I've felt like we've had some of the better tackling linebackers in the league. The Falcons' run D should be improved at any rate.

• Upvote 1

I really feel like Morris is more or less just a familiar face that Quinn wishes to have in place because Morris already knows all of Quinns language and his style. More or less, Morris is going to be another voice.

Definitely agree with you on that MileHigh. Morris was the news story, but Smith shoudl have been the headline.

Morris is a solid DB coach. He just wasn't ready to be a Head Coach.