Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

PQS: Your Literature Quirks

1. What kinds of literature do you generally read?

2. Who are some of your favorite writers?

3. What is your favorite novel and favorite trilogy/series?

4. In your opinion, what is the most important piece of literature in regard to the trajectory of our society?

5. Can an author who writes simple point A to point B novels (i.e.--Dean Koontz) be placed on the same level as the great postmodern writers who delve into all kinds of crazy POV and layering techniques, etc.?

1. I try to read fiction that has something of a historical basis. I like learning about other cultures and other parts of the country and world. I also love literature that ties into real events.

2. T. O'Brien, Orhan Pamuk, David Guterson, Suzanne Collins, J.K. Rowling

3. Favorite Novel--In the Lake of the Woods by T. O'Brien. Favorite series--Harry Potter

4. I would give that edge to a combination of 1984 and The Hunger Games trilogy. Dystopian pieces that outline the potential societies generated by our dependence on technology and gullibility in regard to politics are the most important pieces of literature in our day and age.

5. I would say no. Supermarket paperbacks will never require the same level of talent as exceptionally complex novels. The latter is so much more rewarding. Now and then, it is nice to read something simpler for a change of pace, and those novels still require a good level of talent, but it's not the same.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Mostly fantasy/sci-fi stuff, and whatever I have to read for classes. I don't really seek out too much standard fiction/non-fiction.

R.A. Salvatore, Steven Erikson, David Eddings

3. What is your favorite novel and favorite trilogy/series?

I was actually thinking about this a while back, and I have no answer for the first part of the question. Most of what I read are series and not standalone books, and as such, it's difficult for me to take a single book out of a series and say it's my favorite.

All of Salvatore's Drizzt stuff is pretty great, and I'm a huge fan of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson, which I'm currently reading.

4. In your opinion, what is the most important piece of literature in regard to the trajectory of our society?

The wonderful thing about reading fantasy stuff is that I get to largely avoid/ignore a ton of allegory/metaphor/political-social commentary that's prevalent in modern fiction. I'd probably default to the Bible, even though I question how much that is actually the case anymore.

5. Can an author who writes simple point A to point B novels (i.e.--Dean Koontz) be placed on the same level as the great postmodern writers who delve into all kinds of crazy POV and layering techniques, etc.?

Different strokes for different folks, It's not the destination but the journey, etc., etc., If the reader gets taken out of their world while reading, or gets whatever is it that they're looking for out of what they're reading, then the purpose is served either way, no matter what the perceived "quality" is.

Edited by Vin
  • Upvote 1

I'm a fantasy and sci-fi guy, I read for escapism, or to learn. Though I won't use fantasy and sci-fi for learning purposes, I'll just pick up random things and start reading them whether they be newspapers, historical accounts, memoirs, or whatever.

I really enjoyed Patrick Rothfuss' series. His characters leave a bit to be desired, but he has an amazing cadence to his writing that gets you sucked into his pace. Robert Jordan knows how to write prose, and Brandon Sanderson is really good at making an impact with his events. Needless to say, the answer to the third question is The Wheel of Time series, best book being either 2, 4, 6 or 14. Probably 4.

The Prince. >_> Ok maybe not, but it could be. It's basically the only reason why Machiavellian means the exact opposite of what it's supposed to mean, and why everyone and everything is so fucked up.

They're telling different tales. It's not like a master of French cuisine is inferior to a master of Japanese cuisine, they merely explore different branches of the same tree. Sometimes complexity is a sign of mastery and other times it is simply masturbation.