Sign in to follow this  
theMileHighGuy

Chris Carter urges NFL rookies to "get a fall guy".

That really doesn't change anything because it's still promoting bad decision making. Just because he'd be telling individuals rather than a group doesn't make it any less wrong.

what I'm referring to is kinda a last resort thing, if you absolutely insist on pulling this shit here's something you can do that might keep you out of prison

honestly tho, the types of people who actually might want to follow this advice probably don't need to be told

Didn't say that. But expecting it to happen in an hour or whatever length that talk was and in the manner of a lecture probably isn't going to change much.

Saying that they are at the point in their lives if they are inclined a particular way, they are set on that path surely seems to imply that they cannot change. Despite the length any conversation, it has the possibility and power of influencing a person one way or another. There are so many factors. Did the speaker reach the hearts of the audience?Do the listeners respect or idolize the speaker? Are the listeners naive? Don't underrate the power of speech. It can easily influence for good or for bad. Length has nothing to do with it. Just the power of the content. Edited by Dutch

what I'm referring to is kinda a last resort thing, if you absolutely insist on pulling this shit here's something you can do that might keep you out of prison

honestly tho, the types of people who actually might want to follow this advice probably don't need to be told

I'm sorry. Under no circumstance does this seem to be good advice despite the disposition of the listener because it only reinforces the idea to continue making unwise decisions but giving them a possible exit. That doesn't help them to use good reasoning ability and discernment in making good decisions. Just ways on how to getaway from the bad ones.

Now if a player takes Carter's advice, what is he going to be more prone to doing? Making the same bad decisions and getting better getting away clean.

fair enough, it was probably a bit extreme to say I'd have 'no problem' with the comment in a different context, I guess I should have said I could have understood him saying it in a one-on-one conversation

Guest Phailadelphia

So we shouldn't try to change it? Government's the same way. Let's just ignore it because we can't change it, right? I used to believe this, but recent events have changed the way I look at this.

Of course we should. I'm by no means condoning his actions

I'm with Dutch this is fucking awful. So, the rookies are being told

A) You can do whatever you want with impunity as long as you have someone to take the blame for it.

B) Don't take responsibility for your own actions

C) You can break the law, so long as you have a fall guy.

This is just all around awful.

Thank you.

All this is doing is reinforcing the thought that some of these players have...that they're invincible...untouchable...as Than put it...do whatever they want without getting caught...without taking responsibility for your own actions...

As much as I love Sapp for what he did on the field. These are 2 of the worst people you could pick to give rookies advice. They both have fucked up off the field. I dunno why the NFL would bother picking them.