Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Transgender rights

Guest Phailadelphia

Single sex bathrooms are dumb anyway. It's not like people have their junk out in public bathrooms. There is a large degree of privacy.

I don't care too much about the bathroom conversation when it comes to this topic. I say leave it male and female bathrooms and then you go to in whichever one you feel best describes you lol.

The issues I have come into play when we are asked to bend things to accommodate how someone "feels" or "identifies". Like Bruce is Bruce and I call him that when referring to him. Or if I called him Caitlyn but didn't use "her" and people freak out or try to call you insensitive. Stuff like that annoys me. Playing sports of course is a huge topic for us on TGP.....men trying to compete against women in contact sports like MMA and football. Or a woman who feels she is a man trying to get on college teams or in the NFL (longshot I know).

At the end of the day everyone has the right to be treated like a human and not be discriminated against, but outside of that I don't know why anyone feeling Transgender needs special treatment.

The issues I have come into play when we are asked to bend things to accommodate how someone "feels" or "identifies". Like Bruce is Bruce and I call him that when referring to him. Or if I called him Caitlyn but didn't use "her" and people freak out or try to call you insensitive. Stuff like that annoys me.

Most trans people won't get bent out of shape it it's an honest mistake. Do you not see how it's hurtful when it's intentional though? Heck, even if you don't get how it's hurtful, what do you gain from misgendering people? Which is really the crux of it all. It's another decision people make that doesn't impact anything one way or the other, but the reactions to it cause a lot of harm.

On the topic of sports I do agree that MTF people should not be allowed in women's sports as that is still biologically true. The difference with that and the bathroom analogy is that it puts the women that are playing in an actual unfair situation whereas the bathroom won't really effect anyone.

However, a few years back there was a player on the GW women's basketball team that came out as trans and was allowed to stay on the team as long as he didn't take any male hormones, which I think was fair as he was still biologically 100% a woman.

Single sex bathrooms are dumb anyway. It's not like people have their junk out in public bathrooms. There is a large degree of privacy.

You haven't seen the bathrooms in OSU's Thompson Library.

On the matter of transgender rights with something like bathrooms, I don't mind it. The only issue is if people abuse it and claim to be transgender and use a woman's bathroom to just look at or assault the women, but maybe there are ways to avoid that.

This is just from what I've experienced, but I perceive cisgender to be an insult. I know it's just supposed to a politically correct term for someone who isn't transgender, but I'm in a WGSST class and just about every time they've used that term it's been in a pretty hostile or worked up tone.

EDIT: For more clarity, I decided to express my opinion on an issue (a very rare thing for me to do, but I need it for participation). It was about whether or not the race of Disney princesses has an effect on how young girls perceive what they need to be (i.e., do young black girls think they need to be white in order to be a princess). I argued against the point, and I heard one of the people in the class say, "What would he know, he's cis."

Edited by OSUViking

Heres an image that does a great job of illustrating the stupidity of forcing people to use their birth sex's bathroom.

B_0nBU9UcAARWry.jpg

• Upvote 1