Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Positional Rankings by Division--Cornerbacks

NFC North:

1. Slay (Detroit)--Established himself as the best corner in the division quite decisively. These other guys aren't extremely far behind but Slay's the best right now.

2a. Rhodes (Minnesota)--He would be an elite corner if he'd get some damned interceptions, but he doesn't get a lot of opportunities, either.

2b. Randall (Green Bay)--He was really good last year. Let's see if he can keep it up.

4. Fuller (Chicago)--I like Shields more on an every down basis, but Fuller has a nose for the ball.

5. Shields (Green Bay)--Classic solid cornerback. Can't go wrong with him on one side of the field.

6. Newman (Minnesota)--He was downright excellent last year, and aside from good pass coverage, he's one of the best tackling corners of this generation. He's 38, now, but he earned this spot last year and could be in the argument for a top 5 spot.

7. Munnerlyn (Minnesota)--He bought into Mike Zimmer's system in year two and, surprise surprise, he excelled.

8. Lawson (Detroit)--I don't know a lot of about this guy, other than that he's in the starting role due to a retirement.

9. Porter (Chicago)--Tracy Porter still sucks.

Note: Unproven players like Trae Waynes have potential to be top 5 players in this stacked CB division, but until he gets the snaps, I'm not going to rank him.

Edited by BwareDWare94

AFC West Lyfe

1. Chris Harris Jr - :Broncos:

2. Aqib Talib - :Broncos:

3. David Amerson :Raiders:

4. Sean Smith :Raiders:

5. Jason Verrett :Chargers:

6. Marcus Peters :Chiefs:

AFC South, I'm looking this up because I'm terrible at remembering defensive players:

1A Johnathan Joseph

1B Vontae Davis

3 Jason McCourty (could be 1C if he comes back in form, but I can't project that with his injuries last year)

4 Davon House

5 Kevin Johnson

6 Kareem Jackson

7 Prince Amukamara

8 Perrish Cox/Brice McCain

Edited by oochymp

I would put Kareem over Kevin Johnson and House. Dude is extremely underrated and versatile. Plays outside on first two downs, and then covers the slot on third down. Kevin Johnson may one day pass him, but that day hasn't come yet.

I would put Kareem over Kevin Johnson and House. Dude is extremely underrated and versatile. Plays outside on first two downs, and then covers the slot on third down. Kevin Johnson may one day pass him, but that day hasn't come yet.

fair enough, I thought I had Kareem a little low, but in looking stuff up I found a projection that had Kareem listed below Johnson on ya'lls depth chart, though that may have been to put him in the slot which is really becoming a critical piece of a defense

:AFC:South

Same as in the skill players thread; I'm going to project this upcoming season, so not just off the past but the past + the potential future, so talent level plays a role as well.

Johnathan Joseph :Texans:

Vontae Davis :Colts:

Davon House :jags:

Jason McCourty :Titans:

Kevin Johnson :Texans:

Kareem Jackson :Texans:

Prince Amukamara :jags:

Jalen Ramsey :jags:

Patrick Robinson :Colts:

Darius Butler :Colts:

Brice McCain :Titans:

Aaron Colvin :jags:
Perrish Cox :Titans:

Couple things here, I expect Vontae to bounce back from allowing so many TDs (7) last year. Guys I expect to make a jump compared to the past include Davon House, Kevin Johnson, Prince Amukamara, and Jason McCourty. For House it's the added talent around him especially pass rush (CB's best friend), for Johnson it's no longer being a rookie and I like his talent/size over Kareem's, for Prince it's being under the radar/less pressure, for McCourty it's being healthy and playing off the front 7 and LeBeau's pressure schemes.

I understand the Kareem argument, but I feel like Johnson will overtake him this year and being my rankings are projection based that's why it is the way it is.

Other explanations:

Patrick Robinson quietly had a good year in San Diego and is a better fit for the Colts than Toler, he should enjoy his new team. Darius Butler is a real solid NB, I like him to be better than McCain.

Perrish Cox also allowed 7 TDs last year (career high), and will continue to be the guy teams pick on given harder defenders to throw on in McCourty and McCain. Plus the WRs in this division are really really good, so he brings up the rear.

Jalen Ramsey is still raw technique wise as we all knew coming-in, but his long arms, physicality/strength, and make-up speed will all help him this year I just feel Prince is a more technically sound CB (him and A-Rob's TC battles are becoming a regular, while A-Rob tends to school Ramsey with his routes and fakes) and will continue to be this year hence why even in projection this season I still have Prince over Ramsey. Aaron Colvin is suspended for the first 4 games and Prince is balling so he might not get on the field if the trio of House/Prince/Ramsey produces that much but he was the best run stopping/blitzing NB in the league last year quietly. Led all DBs with 4 sacks. I'd have him higher if I was confident enough he'll get on the field, Prince might keep him off.