Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

NFL Awards Ballot

It's award season, folks. Let's see who TGP picks for the big awards of 2017. Ballot:

Most Valuable Player:

Coach of the Year:

Offensive Player of the Year:

Defensive Player of the Year:

Offensive Rookie of the Year:

Defensive Rookie of the Year:

Comeback Player of the Year:

My picks:

Most Valuable Player: Tom Brady :Pats:

This came down to Brady and Todd Gurley for me. I'm sure this will be the popular debate of this thread, so I'll withhold further comment.

Also considered: Todd Gurley, Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, Drew Brees, Antonio Brown

Coach of the Year: Sean McVay :Rams:

There were a lot of great coaching jobs this year, but this was an easy pick.

Also considered: Doug Pederson, Mike Zimmer, Doug Marrone, Bill Belichick

Offensive Player of the Year: Todd Gurley :Rams:

If Antonio Brown hadn't gotten hurt, this would be a really tough call. As it is, Gurley gets something of a pity vote for not getting MVP.

Also considered: Antonio Brown, Carson Wentz, Kareem Hunt, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Philip Rivers

Defensive Player of the Year: Calais Campbell :jags:

This came down to Campbell and Aaron Donald, two players who have been dominant defensive forces in the league for a long time.

Also considered: Aaron Donald, Chandler Jones, Harrison Smith

Offensive Rookie of the Year: Alvin Kamara :Saints:

What a revelation Kamara is, and what a perfect fit in New Orleans' offense.

Also considered: Kareem Hunt, JuJu Smith-Schuster

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Marshon Lattimore :Saints:

What a rookie class for the Saints. Watching Lattimore hold his own against Julio Jones sealed this for me.

Also considered: Tre'Davious White, T.J. Watt

Comeback Player of the Year: Keenan Allen :Chargers:

Because the Chargers' postseason run faded, I feel like people failed to notice how amazing a receiver Allen is.

Also considered: Rob Gronkowski, Earl Thomas

I don't really need to post my own because I would copy yours with two exceptions.

I have Aaron Donald as DPOY instead of Campbell.

Gurley and Brady are swapped.

Edited by Thanatos

MVP: Alex Smith (Fuck you all, eat my fucking ass) :Chiefs:

OPOTY: Todd Gurley (Oonz) :Rams:

DPOTY: Chandler Jones :Cardinals:

Most Valuable Not QB/HB/WR: Justin Tucker :Ravens: (Because dude needs some fucking props somewhere for being the Ravens MVP)

Coach of the Year: Sean McVay :Rams: (Honorable mentions to Mike Zimmer and Bill Belichick)

OROTY: Alvin Kamara :Saints: (This was a wild race. Healthy DeShaun Watson would have been my pick, Fournette and Kareem Hunt were hella good too)

DROTY: Marshon Lattimore :Saints: (Some studly Defensive Backs this year. Jamal Adams looks good, Xavien Howard has shown some brilliant moves from time to time, Tre'Davious is continuing the trend of solid, physical Buffalo corners. In the end I have to give it to the man who made the Buttinterception, because dude is actually fire. Reuben Foster would have been my non-DB pick.)

Comeback Player of the Year: Keenan Allen :Chargers: Dude is finally healthy for a whole season and he balls out like we knew he would. He's probably just behind Josh Gordon when it comes to player with the most wasted potential. Honorable Mention, Josh Gordon finally saw the field again, woo baby!

Most Improved: Jared Goff :Rams: Guess I have to stop calling this dude Jared Goof. Turns out all this guy needed was a coach who wasn't Jeff Fisher. It's kind of amazing how many QB's Fisher has ruined in his career, all because Steve McNair was a fucking legend and bailed his sorry ass out. Case Keenum never got to shine because of Fisher's scheme, Vince Young became... well Vince Young. Nick Foles contemplated retirement in the one year he was a Ram because of Feff, and has never sniffed the sort of dominance he had with the Eagles in that one miraculous season.

Edited by RazorStar

MVP - Todd Gurley dude was straight fire and deserves it, my 2nd pick is Carson Wentz

OPOY Alvin Kamara

DPOY Calias Campbell

OROY Alvin Kamara

DROY Marshawn Lattimore

Comeback - Keenan Allen

Coach of the year Mike Zimmer

Most improved- Nelson Agholor

I think the issue we have to address when determining if Brady or Gurley is the MVP is the word valuable. Just how heavily does value determine MVP? Don't tell me it's all about value, because then someone like Russell Wilson or Carson Wentz would win. If you want to get real annoying, throw in guys like Aaron Rodgers and Carson Palmer.

But it's not just a Best Player Award either. That said, there are seasons when the MVP goes to just that, the best player. Even if the player in question is surrounded by talent (hindering his individual value, technically), we ignore it if he has an otherworldly season. See: Tom Brady in 2007, Peyton Manning in 2013.

So, is anyone having an all-time great season? Not really. In terms of statistics, you could make an argument for Gurley or Antonio Brown, but in terms of the talent around them, Tom Brady is significantly more valuable to his team's success than those two, in my humble opinion. That's why Brady has my vote.