GA_Eagle

What was the last movie you watched?

You can be a fan of musicals and still be bored by a musical. Just because someone doesn't like said film, you can't just shake it off because "well, you must not have known what to expect".

Kind of a cop out.

I agree, and I wasn't trying to knock his opinion at all. I was just replying based on the vibe that I got from his post. He didn't seem like he knew what he was getting into so he didn't care for it. How is assuming that he didn't know what to expect a 'cop-out'?

I am a big fan of Musicals, but have found several to be boring as fuck, Sunset Boulevard, for example. I am pretty sure that I said in my post after seeing Les Miz that I thought it lost something going from stage to screen. Of course that could have been on Facebook, too.

FTR: I just watched MiB3. Pretty enjoyable.

Django Unchained. Might as well have called it "Tarantino Unchained." It was definitely more of the Kill Bill style Tarantino than the Pulp Fiction style Tarantino in that he is more interested in having fun with the film than creating something deep. But that's just fine with me.

It was long and sprawling, as many Westerns are, but Tarantino fans will be pleased because, well, it's vintage Tarantino. Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson steal the show, and the final act is Tarantino's bloodiest and goriest yet, which makes up for the length.

I'd give it an 8/10, which puts it low among Tarantino's filmography, but definitely worth watching.

Edited by SteVo

Django Unchained. Might as well have called it "Tarantino Unchained." It was definitely more of the Kill Bill style Tarantino than the Pulp Fiction style Tarantino in that he is more interested in having fun with the film than creating something deep. But that's just fine with me.

It was long and sprawling, as many Westerns are, but Tarantino fans will be pleased because, well, it's vintage Tarantino. Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson steal the show, and the final act is Tarantino's bloodiest and goriest yet, which makes up for the length.

I'd give it an 8/10, which puts it low among Tarantino's filmography, but definitely worth watching.

I would also give it an 8/10, which puts it just below Kill Bill and well above Pulp Fiction.

I would also give it an 8/10, which puts it just below Kill Bill and well above Pulp Fiction.

You realize you are in the minority with Pulp Fiction, right? Like, that movie is an indisputable 10/10 in my book. Probably in my top five for best movies of the 90's.

You realize you are in the minority with Pulp Fiction, right? Like, that movie is an indisputable 10/10 in my book. Probably in my top five for best movies of the 90's.

Oh yeah, I know I am in the very small minority. I seriously hated that fucking movie with a passion. I only paid a dollar to see it and actually demanded my dollar back. I hated it that damn much. I tried to watch it again a few years later, same result. And again three more times, still hated it. I just don't get the fascination with that horrible film.

Django is one of my favorite movies from Quentin, actually. Not really a fan of his at all. And other then it being drawn out a little longer then it should have been and losing a little of it's patented magic in the process... Django was extremely good.

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah, I know I am in the very small minority. I seriously hated that fucking movie with a passion. I only paid a dollar to see it and actually demanded my dollar back. I hated it that damn much. I tried to watch it again a few years later, same result. And again three more times, still hated it. I just don't get the fascination with that horrible film.

Tarantino's films are usually a hit or miss for most people. I guess you're just in the "miss" category on that particular flick. :shrug:

Tarantino's films are usually a hit or miss for most people. I guess you're just in the "miss" category on that particular flick. :shrug:

Yeah, I am way far into the "miss" category with that film, seeing as it is one of my top-10 LEAST favortie films of all time.

On topic: I watched the Total Recall remake last night after watching MiB3. I ws left with the same feeling I had after seeing Taken 2 "Was this movie really needed when the first was so awesome?" I got teh same response; No, no it was not in the the least bit needed. They should have left it alone, why mess with a great thing?

Zero Dark Thirty. It suffered from being a bit too predictable, much like Titanic. You knew exactly how it was going to end. Still one hell of a flick. 9/10

Freddy for Jason

It was on showtime and its free this week. Awful movie, but it beats watching nothing.

Edited by Kaep'tain

Silver Linings Playbook. It was incredible. I loved it. Led by a pair of mesmerizing leads in Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, it finds that fine line between serious drama and comedy just like 50/50 did. Cooper's portrayal of a man with bipolar disorder is spot-on, as is everything else about the movie. Rarely do you see films with an equal amount of tension and comedy--sometimes in the same scene. Being an Eagles fan, I was partial to the setting, but regardless, this is one of the better comedies in recent memory. I'd give it a 9/10.

• Upvote 1

Watched Death Race 3 this morning, it was much better than I thought it would be.

10 Years. Much better than I expected, though it was nothing great. It would be a good rental if you are just looking for something to kill an hour and a half. It co-stars Rosario Dawson, so that alone made it watchable. After watching American Horror Story, I have begun to become a fan of Kate Mara, she has a role in this movie as well, I just wish her family didn't own the damn New York Giants....

Ted. Just as funny the second time around.

Jack Reacher. Wasn't a huge fan. Saw some people lauding Cruise for his performance, but it's the same ol Tom Cruise to me. It's supposed to be a crime thriller, but I found myself laughing more times than not, and I don't think it was intended on the part of the movie to be a comedy. Horrible? Nah. But definitely something I wish I hadn't seen in theaters. 5/10

Gangster Squad. Been LOTS of negative reviews on this one because the script is weak and there is little character development. Both fair and accurate criticisms... However, I don't think the movie WANTED to be really deep, script-central, or deep. It wants to be a gritty, noir-esquee crime drama and does so very well, IMO. I am not a Sean Penn fan, but he really brings his character to life. You can see the burning passion and desire in his eyes. 7/10

Silver Linings Playbook. Ah, how I love awards season for this very reason. Stevo hit a lot of it just a few posts up, so I will just add that the chemistry and dynamic that Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence had was OUTSTANDING. It was that dynamic that took the film to the next level. And the movie isn't a comedy in a ENTER ONE LINER or BAD JOKE HERE kind of way. It was funny because they really captured the essence of life. You got a raw look into this families life, and it's the natural life/family occurrences that make it so funny. 9/10

Is Silver Linings Playbook worth driving 40 minutes away to see? That is where the closest theater showing it happens to be, which kind of sucks.

Is Silver Linings Playbook worth driving 40 minutes away to see? That is where the closest theater showing it happens to be, which kind of sucks.

Depends how much you mind 40-minute drives, but I'd say yes. :D

Depends how much you mind 40-minute drives, but I'd say yes. :D

Honestly, it gives me somethign to do with my overabundance of free time when I get off work at 10:30 am. Maybe I will go and check it out today or tomorrow.

The Hunger Games. I decided to re-watch it last night and enjoyed it just as much as when I saw it in theaters. One of last years unexpected surprises, in my opinion. Not saying that it was the best film or the year or anything, but it was much better than I expected from a movie based on a young adult novel.

Dennis the Menace. :D

I actually wanted to watch Hunger Games again. Maybe I will.. :think:

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Beasts of The Southern Wild. I loved it, though it was rather depressing. I completely see why the little girl in the movie has been nominated for an Oscar or was it Golden Globe? Whichever it was, she was fantastic in the movie.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls.

Didn't realize it was this bad. There were only a few bright spots.

Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls.

Didn't realize it was this bad. There were only a few bright spots.

There are very few comedies that I consider "good" movies, this is not one of them. However, I thought it was fucking hilarious.