Sign in to follow this  
FSUViking

Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

Dream Theater have performed for the first time with their new drummer Mike Mangini. The band debuted a brand new song during the show at Ippodromo Capannelle in Rome, Italy, called "On The Backs Of Angels". Mike was, of course, given time to demonstrate his skills with a drum solo, which you can see in the fan footage below.

There's high praise within the band for the new drummer, with keyboardist Jordan Rudess talking about how they worked together in the studio: "We wrote songs and sent them to him. He came in and just nailed his parts. He's incredible. I'm finishing my keyboard parts right now, and I'll go to the computer to see how things are lining up, and I'm just speechless. The guy doesn't mess up!"

Guitarist John Petrucci added, "People are not going to believe how great he is."

Here's the set list for Mangini's debut with the band. Watch his drum solo below (mind the volume, it's a touchy recording) and let us know how he stacks up next to former drummer Mike Portnoy in the comments.

01. Under A Glass Moon

02. These Walls

03. Forsaken

04. Endless Sacrifice

05. Drum Solo

06. The Ytse Jam

07. Peruvian Skies

08. The Great Debate

09. On The Backs Of Angels

10. Caught In A Web

11. Through My Words

12. Fatal Tragedy

13. The Count Of Tuscany

Edited by BlaineDifference

For anyone who's curious, here is Dream Theater's new song:

I thought it was pretty average at first, but it's growing on me now.

Of course they're going to say how good he is....what band in history has ever replaced a member and said "well....he kinda sucks, but we're gonna roll with him anyways. Hope you guys like it." In a six degrees-type thing, A7X said the exact same thing about Arin Ilejay. As Van Halen once did about Hagar, etc etc etc.

To me, DT is and always will be Mike's baby. It's like taking Gene Simmons out of KISS or that one guy out of that one boy band that used to be big. It's just not the same.

Of course they're going to say how good he is....what band in history has ever replaced a member and said "well....he kinda sucks, but we're gonna roll with him anyways. Hope you guys like it." In a six degrees-type thing, A7X said the exact same thing about Arin Ilejay. As Van Halen once did about Hagar, etc etc etc.

To me, DT is and always will be Mike's baby. It's like taking Gene Simmons out of KISS or that one guy out of that one boy band that used to be big. It's just not the same.

It worked once. Kicked Scott Stapp out of Creed and added Myles Kennedy and we have Alter Bridge, a much better band. :D

That is true. Myles Kennedy is phenomenal singer. I love his stuff he's doing with Slash right now.

That is true. Myles Kennedy is phenomenal singer. I love his stuff he's doing with Slash right now.

:rock:

i'm a big fan of both dream theatre and A7X so i don't really mind this move at all

but whoever thinks A7X is bad live obviously hasn't seen them live at LBC