Maverick

New Jersey Devils Team Thread

Well, I think last night's game finally put it out of reach...

I'll still hold the hope, but realistically I'm not being optimistic.

Well, I think last night's game finally put it out of reach...

I'll still hold the hope, but realistically I'm not being optimistic.

We needed to beat Buffalo for any glimmer of hope, and that didn't happen. Still a valiant effort by this team to come back from so far back and contend for a bit. Also, I hear Parise may be coming back sometime this week.

We needed to beat Buffalo for any glimmer of hope, and that didn't happen. Still a valiant effort by this team to come back from so far back and contend for a bit. Also, I hear Parise may be coming back sometime this week.

I'm going to the game this Saturday night against Montreal so I hope he's back in time for that!

I have to give props to the Devils. Despite falling short they refused to quit and gave it their all. I wouldn't be surprised if they get in the playoffs next year.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to the game this Saturday night against Montreal

So am I. :happy:

I wanted to get a Plekanec jersey, but never got around to it, so you can find me wearing this. smug.gif

002-8-1.jpg

So am I. :happy:

I wanted to get a Plekanec jersey, but never got around to it, so you can find me wearing this. smug.gif

002-8-1.jpg

I'll keep an eye out. I'm sure you'll be the only scumbag wearing this jersey... :wink:

Won't ask your exact seating but what's the general area of your seats?

I'll keep an eye out. I'm sure you'll be the only scumbag wearing this jersey... :wink:

Won't ask your exact seating but what's the general area of your seats?

I think behind one of the nets in the lower level. My stepdad's friend is coming over with the tickets later in the week, so then I'll know for sure where I'll be sitting.

Habs spanked that Devil ass. :yep: Fun game, glad there was a shit ton of Habs fans there as well.

Here was the view from my seat:

2011-04-02202742_Newark_NewJersey_US.jpg

On a side note this was my third game in three days lol. Went to the Rangers-Isles game on Thursday, Flyers-Devils game on Friday, and of course the Habs-Devils game on Saturday. So yeah, pretty good weekend. :corn:

Pretty good seats, BJ. Close to the ice.

Pre-game warm up from my seats - I was in the Fire bar section. Section 18, Row 20.

33crh51.jpg

The Devils definitely looked tired. It was really bad, I mean...I seriously think for one of every three passes the Devils made, they couldn't control the pass. It was frustrating to watch. The goal by Kovalchuk was nice (he's scored all four times I've seen them since he's been on the team), but it was back to my curse...About 15 Devils game I've been to live, they've only won one game. Now, onto the important part..

WHERE THE FUCK DID ALL THE CANADIENS FANS COME FROM?! The whole top level above your seats were filled with them, it was crazy. The top section on the other side were filled with them too, but above your seats were PACKED with Canadians. They must have ordered a block from the Fan Club or something because it was unreal. Most of them seemed straight from Canada, too. I passed a couple and they had thick French-Canadian accents. Hell, the Canadiens fans were louder than the Devils fans. Annoyingly-loud. I can't imagine how sick it is at Montreal home game...

Edited by Maverick

Well you have to take into account that the devils don't really have fans.

• Upvote 1

Well you have to take into account that the devils don't really have fans.

Umm...fuck you?

If the Devils win tomorrow afternoon in regulation we will officially eliminate the New York Rangers from playoff contention. I think that's a big reason for our team to come out and play hard.

Umm...fuck you?

To be fair, blots has a legitimate argument.

If the Devils win tomorrow afternoon in regulation we will officially eliminate the New York Rangers from playoff contention. I think that's a big reason for our team to come out and play hard.

It sure is. Do something good with your lost season, Devils! :p

An abnormality. The Devils have been a consistent, top team in the NHL for a while and they still can't draw fans. Even the year they last won the cup they weren't top 20 in attendance. I can't imagine how few people would go to the games if they had an extended run of mediocrity.

An abnormality. The Devils have been a consistent, top team in the NHL for a while and they still can't draw fans. Even the year they last won the cup they weren't top 20 in attendance. I can't imagine how few people would go to the games if they had an extended run of mediocrity.

Quality > Quantity is all I have to say about that. Attendance can kiss my ass, we love the Devils. It's not like we are in a market where we OWN hockey. If we were in a place where we were the only show around, and we had these numbers, it might be a concern. But they are competing for people's ticket budgets with over a dozen sports teams in the tri-state area, where hockey is not king. You try putting a team in between an original 6 and original 12 team that both have won Stanley Cups before the Devils' existence.

Another thing that doesn't show up in attendance is the age of fans. Because of the hard Ranger allegiance in the North and the Flyer allegiance in the South, a lot of Devils fans are people that were newly introduced to hockey via the Devils, or were born in the past 25 years. This 25 and younger crowd, especially in this economic time, is not going to be the crowd that is forking over the cash to get lower level season tickets. The Devils actually have sold over 1,500 new season tickets this season, so the number is rising now that these kids are getting some disposable income.

There are tons of hardcore Devils fans that will never let the team down. It's not like you win and instantly get a packed house. From what I can tell on hockey message boards, the fans that winning brought us are mostly European. There are some people that wake up at 3 or 4am to follow every Devils game. But you probably won't see that fan dedication when you just look at a seating chart and put a label on it.

• Upvote 1

Devils marketing is also way behind everyone else. I only see commercials for the Devils during Devils games. They also only just started having partial season ticket packages that sell 6 or 12 games instead of the whole 41. The problem before was that they were hoping that winning is the only thing you'd have to do to sell a team. That might be true in a lot of places, but not this market. And nowadays, fan interaction is almost a necessity. They've only just started to bridge the gap between the fans and players a little. Lou used to keep an iron curtain up for the sake of winning, but he's letting his guard down a bit now for the sake of the fans.

In fact, it's awesome being a Devils fan. Aside from rooting for a quality franchise with 3 Stanley Cups and 15 consecutive playoff appearances prior to this year (where we won the draft lotto)... on just about any given night, you can go to the front gate and get a ticket. I can't think of any other team that has all those luxuries.

So yeah, Devils fans get pretty offended when you claim they don't exist, just because we don't fill the house. If you say there aren't a lot of Devils fans in comparison to other teams... that is a fact and I would agree with you on that. But I really couldn't give a shit less how many other fans there are out there, and it's really cool to be able to just go to a game and get a ticket at the booth.

Edited by westbrookforsix
  • Upvote 1

Not too sure what to think about the Devils' hiring of DeBoer as our coach. His resume certainly isn't the most impressive.

But hey, I guess that's why I work where I am and I'm not the GM of the Devils.

Not too sure what to think about the Devils' hiring of DeBoer as our coach. His resume certainly isn't the most impressive.

But hey, I guess that's why I work where I am and I'm not the GM of the Devils.

Well they also hired John Mclean last year and look how that turned out. We'll see I guess.

DeBoer is no Maclean. He didn't get the talent in Florida to score goals. He's also been an NHL coach for 3 years, and won championships and coach of the year honors at the junior level. I'm very excited about his potential to finally be a long term coach for this team. I really just hope he can bring the best out of Kovy.

Colin White and Trent Hunter have been placed on waivers with the purpose of buying out their contracts.

Westbrook, I don't know how you thought White was our best d-man last year. If he was, I highly doubt this would be happening to him right now. His play has obviously dipped considerably throughout the past few years. I used to love White but like I said he's just not as good as he used to be.

Also hasn't been posted in here but Parise gets 6 million for a year, hopefully they'll get an extension done before free agency next year.

Oh and good riddance Rolston. Overpaid.

First of all, let's not give too much credit to Lou's evaluation of defensive talent the past half-decade. He let Martin and Rafalski leave, and he traded Oduya, which is why we are currently in desperate need for PMD's. White is the only contract out of our defensemen that could have really been bought out. Tallinder and Volchenkov still have time left on their contracts, and Greene just signed a fresh one. I don't know what his plans for Salvador are.

The short story of Colin White's release is that he had a 1 year 3 million dollar contract that nobody else wanted to pay. I think he was our best all around guy last year, but we also have the option of dressing Salvador, who costs less and can bring close to the same level of play. There isn't really room for both in the faster game. Honestly, as much as I love Volchenkov, he takes risks and gets out of position, and isn't agile enough to recover against the speedy wingers of the NHL. White knows that he is a rock, so he never over extends himself and never loses position. He made Taormina look spectacular until he was hurt, and everyone else he played with all year looked better. Also note: when I say he was our best, he was the only guy (besides Volchenkov, who missed the first 15 games) that was playing well in every single game... from the beginning of the season to the end. Everyone else forgot how to play under John Maclean's reign, and the White-Taormina pairing solely kept the Maclean games respectable. It's like saying he's the least shitty piece of shit we put out there. Everyone matched his level in the second half, but I, and other Devils fans, shouldn't overlook the great job he did in the first half.

I don't think Lou is done. He's making room for something. Whether it's salary related for a free agent or just roster spots for both Larsson and Taormina, I don't really see this as a huge mistake either way... but it could bite us.

Right now:

Greene-Volchenkov

Tallinder-Larsson

Salvador-Taormina

Scratch: Fayne, Corrente, Fraser

Edited by westbrookforsix

I've been able to watch a couple of games so far (Hurricanes, Predators, Sharks). Aside from getting owned by the Pens, I'm liking what I see for the most part. Offense is scoring goals and playing some nice hockey instead of the ol' "dump and run." Hedburg is solid filling in for Brodeur, but the problem is our defense isn't doing him any favors. We need to shore up the defense and get our guys healthy.

I've been able to watch a couple of games so far (Hurricanes, Predators, Sharks). Aside from getting owned by the Pens, I'm liking what I see for the most part. Offense is scoring goals and playing some nice hockey instead of the ol' "dump and run." Hedburg is solid filling in for Brodeur, but the problem is our defense isn't doing him any favors. We need to shore up the defense and get our guys healthy.

Yeah the Pens game is the only one I've been able to watch...and they blew.