Sign in to follow this  
sweetness34

Official Workout Thread

max week around here before the week off before camp

squats today put up 385 for 4 reps. Not sure what that will put my single rep max at yet though.

Power cleans tomorrow is a no go as I sprained my wrist last week so I'm taking a few days off of it then I'll try again next week.

max week around here before the week off before camp

squats today put up 385 for 4 reps. Not sure what that will put my single rep max at yet though.

Power cleans tomorrow is a no go as I sprained my wrist last week so I'm taking a few days off of it then I'll try again next week.

I'd say 420 as a 1RM sounds about right, nice lifts. My squat pales in comparison to that haha

I just started squatting again after about 7 months, back injury really fucked me up... still can't deadlift :(

I'm not trying to be a dick here, BC, but exercise and nutrition advice should come from those who are certified and licensed to do so. Being in my position, it's frustrating when false information is passed on. There is nothing wrong with trying to be helpful, but you have to know your limitations. I have stated several times in this thread that I am not a registered dietician, I will not supply diets, only make recommendations. I feel comfortable making these recommendations because I have connections with the people who are qualified, I have done the research and I know whats true and false. I am not the authority of this thread, everyone is welcome to offer advice and experiences, but I will debate anything I believe is misinformation. Good luck with your fitness goals.

What is your position in this field, exactly? For the record, I'm not going off tons of studying on the subject that I havn't done, I'm going off of experience, things I've heard and tried and it worked successfully, and bits and pieces of unthorough research. I dug up enough information to make myself as knowledgeable on the subject as I wanted to be to the point where I knew enough to go make a fun little hobby out of it. This dude doesn't sound like he's preparing for a nutritionist test either, he just wants to inrease in size and get a little stronger, like most all of us are looking to do. I love hypershock, though i don't know how to defend it any other way than to try it. It does wonders. The weight you can lift increases, the duration you can lift for increases.

There are so many myths out there that of course advice sources are going to contradict. The only thing you can do is do the things that are said consistant; eat 6 meals a day (or as often as possible), eat your weight in lean protein, like you said, drink a gallon of water, and include whey protein shakes, especially right after your lift.

What is your position in this field, exactly?

Certified TSY

Certified TSY

So obviously TSY doesn't mean anything lol

I've been certified through NASM for a while now as a personal trainer and I major in exercise and sport science as well as minor in nutrition, I will be graduating this year.

Just an update on the competition I entered in, I decided to drop out of it near the end. All the work and stress associated with my courses this summer made it too difficult to stick with what I wanted to do. I still think I would have placed pretty high but I was not happy with the results I achieved. I will probably enter into something next year, though.

Signing up to a new gym in a few weeks. Getting used to my school first so I have my priorities straight. Probably going to need a new workout plan so anyone who wants to share theirs, thanks.

Signing up to a new gym in a few weeks. Getting used to my school first so I have my priorities straight. Probably going to need a new workout plan so anyone who wants to share theirs, thanks.

I can help you create one that suits your needs and goals

• Upvote 1

This summer, I raised my bench by 25 pounds, and I raised my squat a hundred and twenty-five pounds. [it still sucks because I could probably do more than that, it's just I have to raise it off a bench press, which is practically impossible]

I can help you create one that suits your needs and goals

That'd be awesome man. I'll PM you when it comes time.

Finished week one of Insanity. All I can say is WOW, what a workout. I'm in good shape but this is is the toughest workout by far that I've done. I decided to do it because I'm going for Green Beret and want to be in the best physical condition that I can be.

An article I wrote for PEAK fitness, which is my universities fitness clinic

No Time is No Excuse

Time, we put a lot of emphasis and value on time, so it comes as no surprise that a lack of time is often the number one excuse for skipping exercise. The good news however, is that time is no longer an excuse for passing over exercise, thanks to something called HIIT. HIIT, which stands for high-intensity-interval-training, is a type of cardio workout that involves alternating periods of high intensity exercise, and periods of rest. In a recent issue from The Journal of Physiology, HIIT is described as an “effective alternate to traditional endurance-based training, inducing similar or even superior physiological adaptations in healthy individuals and diseased populations.”

HIIT is not a new concept in the fitness world, but new research has added to its popularity as an effective method in improving cardiorespiratory fitness, contributing to weight loss, and saving valuable time. A study conducted by McMaster University in Canada compared 20 minutes of HIIT, comprised of 30 second sprints followed by four minute rest periods, to a traditional steady-state regimen which had subjects exercising for 90-120 minutes in their target hear rate zone. The results of the study showed that the subjects experienced similar improvement in oxygen utilization, illustrating the effectiveness of a workout that is one sixth in duration.

In addition to saving time and increasing the ability of the body to improve oxygen uptake and utilization, HIIT is also a superior method in increasing energy expenditure relative to the duration of the workout. The intensity of exercise has a direct relationship with the increase in energy expenditure because the increased work load requires more effort and more energy to be utilized. This is an important principle in regards to supplementing exercise as a means for weight loss as HIIT facilitates greater energy expenditure at a shorter duration of time. Weight loss is dependent on energy balance, by using HIIT, individuals can effectively enhance weight loss results.

There are many approaches to HIIT and it is a demanding exercise that is not for everyone, but incorporating it into your exercise routine may produce positive results, and most importantly, save you some valuable time.

• Upvote 1

I love interval running. It's awesome. I usually do 30 minutes on the treadmill. A 5 minute walk then a 5 minute light jog to warm up. Then I'll start the HIIT by sprinting for 1 minute and walking for 2, gradually increasing the sprint speed by .5 on the treadmill. It's a great workout.

Socal, I've always wondered this and have debated with friends: is it better to do my cardio BEFORE or AFTER I lift weights? I've been back at the gym for 2 months now and I've been doing my cardio as soon as I get in and then I'll do about 30-40 minutes of weights/abs. Does it even matter when I do my cardio? Keep in mind that my cardio is HIIT.

Weights always first. Weights take way more energy if you're doing them right. When you run on lower energy you burn off fat. If you run first, you're just burning off the energy you had collected from the food in your system you ate that day before going to the gym. That energy would have been more efficiently used on the weights.

I love interval running. It's awesome. I usually do 30 minutes on the treadmill. A 5 minute walk then a 5 minute light jog to warm up. Then I'll start the HIIT by sprinting for 1 minute and walking for 2, gradually increasing the sprint speed by .5 on the treadmill. It's a great workout.

Socal, I've always wondered this and have debated with friends: is it better to do my cardio BEFORE or AFTER I lift weights? I've been back at the gym for 2 months now and I've been doing my cardio as soon as I get in and then I'll do about 30-40 minutes of weights/abs. Does it even matter when I do my cardio? Keep in mind that my cardio is HIIT.

As I stated in the article, HIIT is nothing new to fitness, but its been gaining popularity because of its benefits, good to see that you are enjoying it.

The short answer to your question is YES, it does matter.

The answer is also dependent on several variables, such as the type and intensity of cardiovascular work. Low to moderate intensity aerobic activity is going to have little effect on subsequent resistance training as the two activities utilize different energy systems. I'll explain very briefly each energy system and how they each apply to exercise, more specifically apply it to your question.

Creatine phosphate: utilizes creatine phosphate (stored in muscle) and is the predominant system used in very high

intensity exercise lasting 5-10 seconds. examples include power lifting, sprinting, dunking a

basketball etc

Anaerobic glycolysis: utilizes glucose (stored in muscle as glycogen) and is the predominant system used in high

intensity exercise greater than 10 seconds and lasting 1-2 minutes max. examples include long

sustained sprints, 10-15 rep weight lifting, repeated sprint intervals

Oxidative phosphorylation: utilizes fat, protein, carbohydrate and is the predominant system used in low to moderate

intensity exercise. Is aerobic and requires oxygen. examples include endurance events,

walking, jogging

So what does this all mean in relation to the debate of cardio before or after resistance training? What this tells us is that because HIIT and weight lifting both predominantly utilize the creatine phosphate and anaerobic glycolysis systems, doing both during the same training session, will be detrimental toward each other, regardless of order.

The solution? Consider limiting HIIT to several sessions a week, in between weight lifting sessions, this way you can devote your energy to maximizing results and potential in one area. If you would like to continue doing HIIT on the same day, do it after weight training and limit the duration to no more than 20 minutes.

I hope that adequately answers your question.

• Upvote 1

Cool. I only go to the gym 3 times a week, so I cant afford to not do them during the same workout. I'll hit the weights first and tone it down to a 20 minute HIIT session.

Thanks for the info man.

Man - Any training program has to be tailored to the individual and their personal goals. I've met and dealt with a ton of shitty certified trainers - as with every field, just because you're certified doesn't give you instant credibility.

Take all advice with a grain of salt, find what works for you and stick to it. BC is offering up his individual experience and what has worked for him, yes it's Brosciene but it worked for him. Let's not jump and discount his experience but learn to be critical of everyone's advice...Including mine.

My background: I've been bodybuilding for 20+ years and have worked out with the personal trainers and instructors for the football team at Ohio State and I've freelanced on my own. I dont trust any of the big corporate gyms. I know what works for me and I alternate my workouts. I can get a big and as defined as I want using tricks that I've picked up over the years. Right now I'm battling through some injuries.

My favorite workouts are those that focuses on compound movements. I'm not a huge fan of isolation exercises but for some they work and they accomplish their own personal goals.

In my experience, diet is so very much based on the individual. If you have the $, see a dietician.

I'm 6' 1" or so (maybe shorter now :)) and 225lbs with 10% bf. As soon as my injury bug clears up, I'll put more weight on and cut down on my bodyfat.

Arnold, Reg Park, Jack LaLanne and even Tony Horton all made their own way using a lot of Broscience and figuring out what worked for them. Look at their regiment and decide if it matches your goals and try it out. If you're starting out, you cant go wrong with Reg's 5x5 or any of the beginner 5x5 programs.

I'm embarrassed to admit but I did buy p90x2 and will be starting that in April - p90x with their diet, aerobic and anaerobic workouts really got me cut up last time I tried it. I'm currently training for the Cleveland Marathon so I've reduced my lift days pretty significantly on non-running days I'm doing a crossfit program.

I'm ranting a bit but I wanted to jump in and support all of you trying to get healthier and hope that everyone understands that a cert could mean a lot --and Socal does seem to know his shit -- but often I've met as many bad PTs as I've met good ones.

Know you're goals, know your body and go get it.

I don't actually run very much. I try to stay big, so I just do weights. I'm a naturally slim guy. I notice muscle dissapear and my weight go down when I'm not constantly lifting and eating a ton. If I had all day to sit around and work out then I'd work in the running. Still really sore from bicep and back workout on thursday so it must have really done the trick. Been doing the bicep/back days right after chest/tricep/shoulder days, working in the occasional leg days. Chest and Bis definetely get the most attention, I even pair the two up if I havnt done either in a few days. Benching around 270 now but I need to check the bar weight, that's just an average estimation.

The reason I say running first is because thats what I've always been told and also makes the most logical sense. When do you have the most energy? When you first get there (assuming you ate some pasta or fruit or something an hour or two ago). What takes the most energy? Weights usually, if you're actually trying to lift yourself to exhaustion, requires spending all of your energy. You don't conserve or go at a pace like you do running. The whole point of lifting is to exhaust the muscle to where it's so tired it can barely help open the door when you leave the gym. Lifting should be taken to a whole nother level than running, which is why it comes first. I'm not saying running isn't hard, it's just done at a pace. You don't try to blow it all at once like you do lifting. You try to sustain the run for a good time period, allowing yourself to have a fast heart rate over that entire time period.

Alright so I've been working out for about 3 months now. Also eating right and all that good stuff. I've lost a good 15 lbs and I'm getting in good shape. I'm getting stronger at the gym and have seen my arms, chest, triceps and back getting results. However, one thing that's been a pain in the ass to burn off is the lower stomach fat. I do a good circuit of ab workouts at the gym. My core is strong and I've even started building my upper abs but not matter what I can't burn off that excess "belly" fat. What exercises can i do do shred that fat? As far as dieting I don't do any sodas, junk food or sweets. I try drinking beer once a week tops. I know beer goes str8 there. It just seems like the lower abs are the hardest to attain. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

The lower belly fat could be due to your posture. I know how frustrating it can be to get that off, many times it's just a matter of continuing to reduce overall body fat.

Have you tried a Keto or Paleo diet?

The lower belly fat could be due to your posture. I know how frustrating it can be to get that off, many times it's just a matter of continuing to reduce overall body fat.

Have you tried a Keto or Paleo diet?

Never heard of that. I'm not following a specific diet now. Just try to consume xx amount of calories per day, spread out my meals with snacks in between to keep metabolism up, drink lots of water and stay away from carbs like white breads and pastas. That and course the obvious no fast food, high sugars, etc. It helped me get from 198lbs down to 180 now but yeah the lower belly fat is persistent. I'm not really trying to get big or jacked up. I just want to be fit and be tone overall.

Alright so I've been working out for about 3 months now. Also eating right and all that good stuff. I've lost a good 15 lbs and I'm getting in good shape. I'm getting stronger at the gym and have seen my arms, chest, triceps and back getting results. However, one thing that's been a pain in the ass to burn off is the lower stomach fat. I do a good circuit of ab workouts at the gym. My core is strong and I've even started building my upper abs but not matter what I can't burn off that excess "belly" fat. What exercises can i do do shred that fat? As far as dieting I don't do any sodas, junk food or sweets. I try drinking beer once a week tops. I know beer goes str8 there. It just seems like the lower abs are the hardest to attain. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Losing weight comes down to thermodynamics, creating a negative energy balance results in the loss of weight. You cannot spot reduce fat from specific parts of your body. Exercise is only used as a supplementation to weight loss, diet is the determining factor. Stick with your routine and what you are currently doing, continue to eat well and be consistent. If you are eating less than you burn off then you will eventually see the results you want, aim for losing 1-2 lbs at most a week and reassess the amount you eat accordingly in small increments depending on whether you are losing too much or not enough weight.

I know its frustrating, but it really is a simple as what I outlined above, you just have to be patient and put in the time. I don't suggest venturing into any specific type of diet, but rather sticking to what you do right now, just eating a little less.

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 1

Bumping this thread

I've been working on lagging parts the last month, posterior and lateral delts, biceps, and obliques. I just started getting back into working my legs some more, it's difficult because of my back

• Upvote 1

So I decided to get serious about getting rid of this fat boy pack that I call a six pack... My sister tells me that I gotta start running some and not eat meat and giant cinnamon rolls (that I'm addicted to). But I hate running and I don't want to lose weight so i'm just doing a bunch of crunches hoping I'll get them by summer's end.

Also how long does it take for someone to stop training a muscle group before it gets weaker? I've gone almost 4 months without training my legs and even longer without sprinting and i'm getting scared I might be losing my lower body burst and explosion. >_>

And the actual reason I came on this thread... My older brother got me for a super late birthday present these Gold Gym 3 in 1 set with these circular push up bars that are supposed to give you the best push up workouts... Those things absolutely kick my ass, I can hit 115 push ups in a minute with almost a lot of ease, but hitting 50 with them is impossible. I recommend it for anyone who likes doing push ups.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F