Phenomenal TJ

The Dragon Age 2 Discussion Thread

The ending set up an expansion too. Hopefully it'll be...expansive. :shifty:

Expansion or....seeds for DA:3? War vs Orlais? World War vs the Qunari? Steel cage match fatal fourway with Qunari vs Orlais vs darkspawn vs Champion & Hero? I also have a sneaky suspicion that Morrigan's demon seed baby will play a role in a future expansion and/or DA:3.

I can't figure out Liliana. She seems to be almost a bad guy here. Or at least some kind of bounty hunter/assassin for the Chantry.

Also, what happens if Alister wasn't king in your imported DA:O game? Who summons you to the Viscounts estate?

Edited by FSUViking

I fucking HATE the end game. The actual ending itself is above average. Except for the fact that getting to the final fight is harder than the fight itself.

But not having ANYTHING to do after the final fight is a mega cop out. I mean shit... Not only aren't there any quests, but I can't even go to shops or explore for unopened chests. At the VERY LEAST, you should be able to complete any unfinished quests. But really disappointed that there is literally nothing afterwards.

And I realize they are setting it up for a DLC, I do. And I will purchase it... but man... mega gay.

Playing through my 2nd time. Picked a mage this play through. And must say that (IMO) it is more fun AND easier. And I rather enjoy the addition of Carver over Bethany.

Did anyone buy the DLC for Sebastion? Is it worth the microsoft points?

Playing through my 2nd time. Picked a mage this play through. And must say that (IMO) it is more fun AND easier. And I rather enjoy the addition of Carver over Bethany.

Did anyone buy the DLC for Sebastion? Is it worth the microsoft points?

Whoa...hey...what...huh? Whaddya mean Carver? He ded....no?

Sebastian is OK. Pretty good archer. Handy if you want a ranged companion.

In Mage playthroughs Bethany throws herself at the ogre. because hey, can't have two of the same class in the same family. That's like breaking the one steve rule.

What Razor said. :p

And I'm testing out different parties.. Right now I am rocking

Hawke (Mage), Carver, Fenris, Isabella.

The double warrior is hella bad ass. And my mage has extremely powerful AoE's. Enemies don't stand a chance. It's almost too easy on Normal. I'd change difficulties, but I am trying to get some more achievements.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Well... Finished up Act 1 as my mage. Got the achievement for finishing an act without having anyone knocked out. Carver went off to join the Templars, which is beyond stupid. One thing that makes me mad about this game is the illusion or facade of free will.

You have like 3 possible outcomes with Carver.

1) You take him (w/out Anders) and he dies

2) You take him (w/ Anders) and he joins the Grey Wardens

3) You don't take him, per your mothers request, and he joins the Templars.

And it's pretty close to the same with Bethany, just with joining the circle. But no matter WHAT you choose... Your last remaining sibling does not help you out for the rest of the game... So... It's free will, but it's not. Stupid.

Anyway... Finished a few quests into Act 2 and thought about other achievements I was after. I wasn't going to be becoming Viscount. Wasn't going to be siding with the Templars 5 times. Wasn't going to earn a rival (go figure, Fenris actually wanted my cock on my mage playthrough). And then there are others...

So, I decided to fire up a new game as a warrior. Where I can make almost the exact opposite decisions as I did in playthroughs 1 & 2. And I will be using Anders in my party a lot, so looks like he has been target as my rival. :corn:

I will still find time to finish my mage one of these days. May even switch off between the warrior and the mage. Mostly, because... IMO, I think we will be able to upload our characters from DA2 into DA3... And I'd like to keep my options open to upload any of the starter classes.

/da induced rant

If you really want to force a rivalry, just make them pissed at you in their character quest.

I did that by accident actually. In Fenris quest where he meets his slave master I took the "take him" option thinking Hey let's kick his ass. Didn't realize that it meant "go ahead take Fenris off my hands." He was pissed.

Being that I am going to be fairly Anti-Mage, I will befriend Fenris anyway. Anders will be an easy rival. He turned into a homo in DA2, and gets his feelings hurt easily.

I wanna play as a warrior but I don't want to have to use a shield. I just wanna roll with a sword, so maybe I'll go as a rogue again and just choose a different specialty and romance option.

I wanna play as a warrior but I don't want to have to use a shield. I just wanna roll with a sword, so maybe I'll go as a rogue again and just choose a different specialty and romance option.

You can rock with either version of a warrior. My brother went with the sword and shield (like Aveline) and I decided to go 2-Handed (Like Fenris and Carver).

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/118/1181157p1.html

The first piece of downloadable content for Dragon Age 2 hits later this month, EA has confirmed.

Dubbed "Legacy," players will travel to the ancient Grey Warden prison to uncover the "harsh truth" about the Hawke lineage and end the attacks of a criminal cartel.

This expansion is playable at any point in Dragon Age 2 campaign and includes new darkspawn, new locations, and a new class-specific weapon to upgrade.

Dragon Age 2: Legacy hits July 26 for Xbox Live, PC/Mac, and PlayStation Network for $9.99 (800 MS Points).

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/118/1185707p1.html

Dragon Age II: Legacy is the first major addition to the game since its release in March, which is a bit surprising - at this point, we already had several DLC releases and a full-fledged expansion for Dragon Age: Origins. Regardless, Legacy is here, and with it, a storyline exploring the Hawkes' familial dealings before your character was even born, set in a dark prison housing a powerful evil. It sounds like quintessential Dragon Age, and it is. But that's the problem.

Legacy begins as a story Varric has conveniently forgotten to tell the seeker Cassandra. It's a clever enough conceit, and it even allows Legacy to slide conveniently into Dragon Age II's narrative wherever your current character happens to be. Someone has been making attempts on the lives of the Hawke siblings, and Varric has tracked the responsible faction of Dwarven mercenaries to the middle of nowhere. After some polite conversation (which ends in massacred dwarves either way) you discover that your blood is involved in a dark ritual and is in high demand.

The main draw here is the story - it's interesting seeing the hows and whys of the Hawkes' migration to Ferelden prior to the birth of the Champion, and the development you'll get out of your relationship with your sibling (assuming you take them with you) is nice enough. You'll also get a fairly powerful weapon that you can customize somewhat throughout your journey to the heart of the underground tower Legacy takes place in.

Dragon Age II Legacy has pretty much everything you'd expect in Dragon Age DLC. There are dwarves, and Grey Wardens, and darkspawn, and ancient evil, and you get the idea. While the new environment and dungeon is welcome (hallelujah, a new dungeon layout!), you're doing exactly the same thing you did for the 30 hours+ in Dragon Age II proper.

This is a positive and a negative. If you really liked Dragon Age II and desperately want more, then Legacy covers its bases. If you liked Dragon Age II but had some issues with things like really awful boss fights, well, Legacy has that covered too. There are quite a few annoying mini-boss encounters spread throughout Legacy, and the final encounter with the required "dark evil" is profoundly tedious. This is DLC for higher level characters near the end of Dragon Age II's campaign, and while it's available whenever you have access to your residence, lower-level adventurers are probably going to get killed a few times for their trouble.

Closing CommentsDragon Age II Legacy see-saws between going-through-the-motions and meaningful character development. I suppose Legacy’s character-centric exploration of the Hawke family’s dark secrets is just the kind of story downloadable content is made for, but after wading through several hours that felt as much like a checklist of Dragon Age IITM ingredients being tallied up as a meaningful addition to the game, I have to wonder: why wasn’t this in the game in the first place?