Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Derrick Mason Calls Out Roger Goodell on HGH Issue

Roger Goodell said earlier this week that the NFL will insist on testing for human growth hormone in the next labor deal. A prominent receiver said Tuesday the commissioner is a "joke" for the stance he's taking.

In his weekly appearance on "The Norris & Davis Show" on 105.7 FM in Baltimore, Ravens receiver Derrick Mason said Goodell needs to focus his attention on getting a deal done between the owners and players instead of talking about drug testing.

"He needs to stop crying about blood tests and HGH. He needs to try to get a deal done, that's what he needs to do," Mason said. "He's been on this crusade about HGH, but he needs to be on a crusade about getting these owners together and trying to work out a deal. To me, he's a joke, because every time I look, he's talking about performance enhancements instead of talking about trying to figure out a way to make sure football is played in August."

When asked if he would call Goodell a "joke" to his face, Mason replied: "Yeah. He's a grown man and I'm a grown man."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6299376

Sign of the apocalypse... I agree with Goodell. Derrick Mason sounds like a twat.

I'm sorry..where exactly is Mason wrong in saying all of this?

Goodell can worry about HGH and shit after he actually makes it where they can play football to where the tests will actually mean something..instead of just testing for HGH with no damn season.

Mason is one of the nicer players I've met..while he'll definitely make his thoughts known, he's far from a twat, IMO at least. Pretty good guy.

I'm sorry..where exactly is Mason wrong in saying all of this?

Goodell can worry about HGH and shit after he actually makes it where they can play football to where the tests will actually mean something..instead of just testing for HGH with no damn season.

Mason is one of the nicer players I've met..while he'll definitely make his thoughts known, he's far from a twat, IMO at least. Pretty good guy.

The players want to give up NOTHING in negotiations. They all expect the owners to bend over and let the players insert their massive cocks in the owners asses.

That isn't how "Negotiation" works. Everyone in the world knows that the NFL's drug testing policies are a complete and utter joke.

He is saying that Roger and the league have been "crying" for HGH testing... Well, somebody please inform Derrick Mason that I am tired of his crying...

Edited by Favre4Ever

The players want to see the books before they give up anything. I believe the "not giving up anything" stems from the money issue..if the money issue would be solved, the rest could be negotiated. I honestly don't think it's wrong to want to see the books from the owners before handing over a billion dollars, but I can also see the side as to why the owners shouldn't have to.

However, I don't see how this results in you getting upset at what Mason is saying.. he's saying he wants the NFL to negotiate and get a deal done, THEN worry about the drug testing..which is completely reasonable..you're "whining" about there not being a deal done..why can't he?

The players want to see the books before they give up anything. I believe the "not giving up anything" stems from the money issue..if the money issue would be solved, the rest could be negotiated. I honestly don't think it's wrong to want to see the books from the owners before handing over a billion dollars, but I can also see the side as to why the owners shouldn't have to.

However, I don't see how this results in you getting upset at what Mason is saying.. he's saying he wants the NFL to negotiate and get a deal done, THEN worry about the drug testing..which is completely reasonable..you're "whining" about there not being a deal done..why can't he?

Opening the books and blood testing doesn't really seem all that... similar. So, your first cunk of text seems irrelevant.

And saying I am "upset" is a bit of a stretch, lol. And ya... he says worry about the testing later... but if he knows its gonna be in there later why not just accept it now if its going to get a deal done faster?

Opening the books and blood testing doesn't really seem all that... similar. So, your first cunk of text seems irrelevant.

And saying I am "upset" is a bit of a stretch, lol. And ya... he says worry about the testing later... but if he knows its gonna be in there later why not just accept it now if its going to get a deal done faster?

I already said what makes my first "cunk"(wtf is a cunk?) of text relevant..that I feel the money issue is holding everything else back..if they would settler the whole opening the books thing, the rest would be negotiated. But I(just my opinion) feel that the money problem is holding everything else up.

How is Derrick Mason stopping anything from happening? He's made it clear in the past that he doesn't give a shit about what needs to be negotiated, only that he( and he says every other NFL player) wants football to be player this year. He says the owners are the ones stopping football..not Goodell..but he says Goodell needs to get his ass in gear and needs to worry about getting it back to negotiations, and handle the drug testing once it gets back to negotiations. The way I take it is he's basically saying that getting the drug testing put in is fine..but it's useless if they aren't even negotiating.

In the interview, Derrick comments on the letter that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell sent to the players and released to the public, which Mason said Goodell "embellished," as well as the players' response to that letter. In his opinion, the players couldn't care less about any rule changes at this point, as all they are concerned with is playing football and he reiterated that it is the owners who are stopping football, not the players.

I already said what makes my first "cunk"(wtf is a cunk?) of text relevant..that I feel the money issue is holding everything else back..if they would settler the whole opening the books thing, the rest would be negotiated. But I(just my opinion) feel that the money problem is holding everything else up.

How is Derrick Mason stopping anything from happening? He's made it clear in the past that he doesn't give a shit about what needs to be negotiated, only that he( and he says every other NFL player) wants football to be player this year. He says the owners are the ones stopping football..not Goodell..but he says Goodell needs to get his ass in gear and needs to worry about getting it back to negotiations, and handle the drug testing once it gets back to negotiations. The way I take it is he's basically saying that getting the drug testing put in is fine..but it's useless if they aren't even negotiating.

Chunk. Spelling error. My bad your holy awesomeness... lol

Nobody said that Derrick Mason is stopping anything. And if he didn't give a shit about what needs to be negotiated... Why is he speaking out on this specific issue, that DOES NEED TO BE NEGOTIATED?

Listen to yourself... You aren't making any sense at all. And I think it is your intense passionate feelings for Derrick Mason that is getting in the way.

There is nothing wrong with him being against testing... Except for the fact that it seems kinda shady. But anyway... It just sounds like he is extremely uneducated on the negotiations.

Better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

EDIT:

And do you know how hilariously laughable it is for Derrick Mason to say "all we (the players) care about is playing football"... NO, that isn't true. Because if that was ALL they cared about, the deal would have been done YEARS ago. It's about the money... on both sides. And also "smaller" things like the season length, retired players benefits (although, I don't think De Smith gives two shits about retired players), etc etc.

So, yes... Derrick Mason is a fool.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Chunk. Spelling error. My bad your holy awesomeness... lol

lol, Didn't mean to make it sound like I was being a spelling nazi..I thought it was an actual word I had just never heard of, lmao.

Nobody said that Derrick Mason is stopping anything. And if he didn't give a shit about what needs to be negotiated... Why is he speaking out on this specific issue, that DOES NEED TO BE NEGOTIATED?

He's speaking out on this specific issue to say Goodell needs to get it back to the negotiation table..it's that simple..I'm sure he would have said the same thing if Goodell was trying to push a rookie pay scale or any other example you want to use..Again his point is to say get to the negotiation table.

Listen to yourself... You aren't making any sense at all. And I think it is your intense passionate feelings for Derrick Mason that is getting in the way.

Clearly I'm not..and obviously it is. Can't stop daydreaming about being able to molest him in every way possible. :shrug:

There is nothing wrong with him being against testing... Except for the fact that it seems kinda shady. But anyway... It just sounds like he is extremely uneducated on the negotiations.

Better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Maybe I'm missing it(and that's a definite possibility, not being sarcastic there..), but I don't see where he said he was against testing..he just said he wants Goodell to focus on getting back to the negotiation table with the owners and NFL PA..and not just worrying about drug testing all day..

I take it as: "Worry about pushing the drug testing AFTER you get back to the negotiation table.".

I just don't see where he says no to drug testing. I just see him being outraged about it being all that Goodell is focusing on.

Edited by .AirMcNair.

lol, Didn't mean to make it sound like I was being a spelling nazi..I thought it was an actual word I had just never heard of, lmao.

He's speaking out on this specific issue to say Goodell needs to get it back to the negotiation table..it's that simple..I'm sure he would have said the same thing if Goodell was trying to push a rookie pay scale or any other example you want to use..Again his point is to say get to the negotiation table.

Clearly I'm not..and obviously it is. Can't stop daydreaming about being able to molest him in every way possible. :shrug:

Maybe I'm missing it(and that's a definite possibility, not being sarcastic there..), but I don't see where he said he was against testing..he just said he wants Goodell to focus on getting back to the negotiation table with the NFL PA..and not just worrying about drug testing all day..

I take it as: "Worry about pushing the drug testing AFTER you get back to the negotiation table.".

I just don't see where he says no to drug testing. I just see him being outraged about it being all that Goodell is focusing on.

Right, but if the drug testing helps them get to the next level of negotiations... Why not? Him speaking out is not going to make everything speed up...

Again.. there's nothing wrong with him speaking his opinion... It's just that, again, he sounds very uneducated when speaking about the negotiations. And it isn't only Mason. That's a common theme when players decide to speak out.

Right, but if the drug testing helps them get to the next level of negotiations... Why not? Him speaking out is not going to make everything speed up...

Again.. there's nothing wrong with him speaking his opinion... It's just that, again, he sounds very uneducated when speaking about the negotiations. And it isn't only Mason. That's a common theme when players decide to speak out.

He probably is rather uneducated(in comparison to high ranking people in the NFLPA/the owners/Goodell) on the subject..but I can see why him, and multiple other players want to speak out and say just get a damn deal done. He's not asking for anything specific on any side of all this..he just wants them to start negotiating again..what's gonna get done if everyone just sits on their ass and does nothing? Can't get anywhere without negotiating. I feel the same way as him and the many other, as I'm sure you and every other member here does. I think if a whole bunch of players would speak out and threaten to leave this shit would get down a lot quicker..but that's obviously something unrealistic to expect.

This was probably pretty stupid of us to debate, lol, as it has no real meaning..but what the hell, right? Nothing else to talk about regarding the NFL, lol, the draft discussion can only go on so long until it gets dull.

• Upvote 2

Some will say he is wrong for saying this because it makes him look like he is afraid to take the tests, but I don't think he is wrong at all. The lockout should be Goodell's number one priority, considering that the 2011 season depends on it.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the HGH testing thing is an issue and part of negotiating a new deal. It SEEMS like it's something the NFL/Owners want and the players...meh...not so much.

Sounds like Mason was just itching to talk about Goodell regardless of what the topic/issue was about. Mason needs to get his facts straight.

:shrug:

Who's going to be tested for HGH if there's no season? Fix the main problem then move on to the rest.

I'm on neither side of the argument really. Both are being ridiculous.

Who's going to be tested for HGH if there's no season? Fix the main problem then move on to the rest.

I'm on neither side of the argument really. Both are being ridiculous.

Okay.. this is what people don't understand... The collective bargaining agreement isn't just about money. It's EVERYTHING. Retired players benefits, splitting the profits, drug testing, etc etc etc etc... EVERYTHING.

Without this policy, there may not BE an agreement. These players are acting like all the two sides have to do is "stop being greedy" and decide how to split their billions of dollars. And whoever is informing the players of the happen stance of these negotiations... needs to be fired. Because they are not helping the situation at all.

It's a lot more complicated than most give credit to. And I understand not caring, and just wanting football. I feel that way sometimes too. But then don't speak out pretending like you know something when in fact you are completely oblivious to the nature of the beast. (Generic "you", not specifically rzb)

Okay.. this is what people don't understand... The collective bargaining agreement isn't just about money. It's EVERYTHING. Retired players benefits, splitting the profits, drug testing, etc etc etc etc... EVERYTHING.

Without this policy, there may not BE an agreement. These players are acting like all the two sides have to do is "stop being greedy" and decide how to split their billions of dollars. And whoever is informing the players of the happen stance of these negotiations... needs to be fired. Because they are not helping the situation at all.

It's a lot more complicated than most give credit to. And I understand not caring, and just wanting football. I feel that way sometimes too. But then don't speak out pretending like you know something when in fact you are completely oblivious to the nature of the beast. (Generic "you", not specifically rzb)

I have to agree with you. I usually try to get all the facts myself before I state my opinion.