Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Class-Action Lawsuit Filed Against Electronic Arts

Consumers have filed a class action lawsuit against Electronic Arts stating that the sports-behemoth has "foreclosed competition" on the football game market. As it's a class action suit, meaning a full class of consumers are involved, you may be indirectly involved in the proceedings.

The plaintiffs claim that by picking up licenses for the NFL, NFL Player's Association, NCAA and the AFL, Electronic Arts has completely removed competitors from the arena of football development and created a monopoly in the market.

This power over the market, according to the plaintiffs, "caused customers who purchased certain football video games to be overcharged." Electronic Arts has meanwhile "denied any liability and all allegations of misconduct."

Have you purchased one of EA's football games since 2005? This includes any Madden NFL, NCAA or AFL games released since January 1st of that year. If so, that places you squarely under the definition of the class action lawsuit and the ongoing case may be of interest to you.

According to the law, if you do nothing and are a member of the class suit, you will be bound by the decisions of the case and can no longer have the option to sue the defendant, Electronic Arts. To do so you'll have to remove yourself from the class by requesting exclusion in writing to:

Electronic Arts Litigation Exclusion

P.O. Box 8090

San Rafael CA 94912-8090

For more information, head over to www.easportslitigation.com to get all the details on the progression of the case. You can also visit the counsel website of the plaintiffs at www.hbsslaw.com or phoning their office at (206) 623-7292.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1160349p1.html

Even if nothing comes of it... HELL YESSSSSSSS. (Coming from an Anti-Lawsuit individual)

Edited by Favre4Ever

I'm sure the group of people who started this will have enough funds to get into a legal battle with EA's legal team. :rolleyes:

I like the effort and don't personally like that EA has exclusive rights to NFL games but this is pointless.

Its about time this has happened maybe the NFL will finally fix up and realise that this is NOT what we want and we want 2k to pick up the football games again. If the other 3 sports allow multiple games why dont the NFL

lol the NFL doesn't care what WE want. It's all about the money and who will pay more.

I got that email, reckon I'll just wait and see what happens.

I got that email, reckon I'll just wait and see what happens.

As did I. How did they get our emails?

If I remember correctly, you have to use it to sign onto EA servers for playing Madden on live....or, from registering your game?

lol the NFL doesn't care what WE want. It's all about the money and who will pay more.

Even EA was a little miffed at the price this last extension period. Like I said in the OP. I doubt anything comes of it, but I am glad people finally took action against a problem.

• Upvote 1

If I remember correctly, you have to use it to sign onto EA servers for playing Madden on live....or, from registering your game?

I dunno, that information is secure through EA and this email comes from the prosecutors so it seems. I may be wrong.

Also, I have my Yahoo email registered with EA and I got the email in my Gmail account.

I wonder if anyone that doesn't have Madden, got the email.

I wonder if anyone that doesn't have Madden, got the email.

I did. It covers all EA sports games.. which makes this lawsuit huuuuuge.

Money, money, money...MONEY! It's a buisness, I suppose.

Edited by WindyCitySports

Nice to see someone taking a stand, but they don't really have much legal ground to stand on. The whole point of purchasing a license from the respective sport is to ensure exclusivity, so if they want to turn this around it would mean a complete re-working of the way contractual agreements between governing sports bodies and basically ANYONE (not just game studios) are effectively optioned. So it would be a very tough case to argue. That is, if it even makes it to the trial stage.