Sign in to follow this  
BucD

Official Buccaneers Offseason/Lockout Thread

One thread for all Bucs offseason/lockout news etc.

Backup QB Rudy Carpenter helping sixth round pick, Allen Bradford with playbook...

Two Bucs joining forces on playbook

May, 18, 2011 By Pat Yasinskas

In a few hours from now, Rudy Carpenter and Allen Bradford will meet Thursday in Westlake, Calif. for a crash course in Tampa Bay’s offense. Carpenter is one of Freeman’s backups and he’s got something Bradford, a running back and a fifth-round pick, doesn’t.

Carpenter has a Tampa Bay playbook or at least carries one in his mind.

“It’s hard for any young guy to learn the offense when you don’t have the time at the facility,’’ Carpenter said by telephone from California on Wednesday night. “I’m not going to be able to teach him the whole playbook because we install new stuff all the time. But my plan is to go over our most basic running plays and our most basic passing plays with him just to give him something to build on. I’ll run him through the verbiage we use in the huddle and we’ll work out.''

The sessions will be more mental than physical because Bradford is taking part in a conditioning program at the University of Southern California, but the plan is to meet a few times a week and go over the playbook as long as the lockout remains in place.

Carpenter has spent much of his offseason in California and has been on the lookout for other players to work out with. That’s how joining forces with Bradford came about. Carpenter and Bradford have a mutual friend. That’s tight end Jordan Cameron, who played with Bradford at Southern California.

After the Bucs drafted Bradford and the Cleveland Browns used a fourth-round pick on Cameron, Carpenter called Jordan to congratulate him. Then he asked to be put in touch with Bradford to offer up his services to teach the playbook.

“I’ve been looking all offseason to work out with guys that are out in California,’’ Carpenter said. “I did go back to Tampa for the little passing camp (Freeman) did with some of the skill-position players a few weeks back, but I’m in California most of the time and I’ve been able to make the most of it.’’

Tampa Bay receiver Arrelious Benn, who is coming off major knee surgery, has worked out with Carpenter several times and the quarterback said he hopes that continues.

“Arrelious is such a hard worker and he’s done a great job with his rehab,’’ Carpenter said. “He’s running very well and catching balls and we’ve gotten in some good work. We’re also working to help him understand the offense a little better because he was only a rookie last year and got hurt before he could absorb everything.’’

Carpenter said receiver Sammie Stroughter and fullback Erik Lorig, who are spending most of their offseasons in California, also have come by for workouts. Carpenter said he also has attended some group workouts in California with players from other NFL teams.

Love it to hear this kind of stuff. Nice job, Rudy.

Josh Freeman running Bucs' workouts

By Pat Yasinskas

ESPN.com

Whenever the National Football League's lockout ends, Josh Freeman pledges the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will be ready.

In only his third NFL season, Freeman told ESPN.com on Monday that he has been organizing team workouts since late March.

"You have got to be up to speed and be ready to go out and win football games and we're taking steps right now to be in a position like that," Freeman said after leading a workout in the Tampa Bay area.

Freeman admitted the workouts haven't been the near-minicamps that some teams have had, but said the Bucs have had steady participation and sometimes had more than 20 players gather for a session.

"We're trying to stay together as a team and keep working on things. We watch some film and talk over plays and stuff like that just do the stuff a football team should be doing," Freeman said.

Only 23 and coming off his first full season as a starter, Freeman said it's his duty to organize the team during the protracted work stoppage.

"As the quarterback, you're the leader of the team," Freeman said. "Guys like (backup quarterbacks) Josh Johnson and Rudy Carpenter and I, we take a lot of pride in ourselves as quarterbacks to be leaders at all times. We shoot the calls out and let everybody know where we're going to be at and when we're going to be there so we can get as much work together as possible."

Tampa Bay finished 10-6 in 2010, narrowly missing the playoffs and Freeman said the Bucs want to make sure they continue to progress when the season begins.

"It's hard to get everybody free and their schedules lined up," Freeman said. "But, at the same time, we want to provide options for guys to get down here and work out. Everybody knows we're a young team and we had a lot of momentum coming off last season. We want to build on that and keep that going."

God, I love Freeman.

Love it. Doin' as much as he can with what he can...can't ask for anymore than that during this damn lockout.

In Freeman We Trust.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/40734/bucs-firmly-in-josh-freemans-hands

Another article on Freeman here.

Here's a quote from it that I was happy about:

“I will say (receiver) Sammie Stroughter his having an incredible offseason,’’ Freeman said. “So is (tight end) Kellen Winslow. Arrelious is obviously coming off his (torn ACL) injury, but he’s looking great as well. We have a number of guys playing great football right now. Kellen Winslow is just a guy that’s so impressive. He’s a guy that comes in and works out in the morning, then comes and gets the throwing part in and then he goes and works out some more.’’

Sammie's production fell off a little last year. If he could come up big as a slot guy, that would be great.

Freeman is really growing to be one of my favourite players in the league. He has hustle, smarts, and a player that I would live vicariously through. What a god damn beast. I remember him actually getting a penalty for bruising up a defensive player on a block.

awesome.jpg

Freeman is really growing to be one of my favourite players in the league. He has hustle, smarts, and a player that I would live vicariously through. What a god damn beast. I remember him actually getting a penalty for bruising up a defensive player on a block.

awesome.jpg

Yea I think you're talking about Brent Grimes. After Grimes made a great play and picked off his pass...Freeman then just completely annihilated him as he is running along the sidelines...the penalty was worth it. Awesome.

http://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=7025:&Itemid=15

We just started a 3 day mini camp. Gonna have 2 a days the next 3 days. Over 50 players in attendance. Pretty impressive.

Notables in attendance:

Aqib Talib

Davin Joseph

Jeremy Trueblood

Michael Clayton (WTF?)

Adrian Clayborn

Mason Foster

Notables not in attendance:

Barrett Ruud

Geno Hayes

DaQuan Bowers

Luke Stocker

Daniel Hardy

Day One Vid:

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=49953

Photos:

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=49867

Articles on day one:

Freeman Leads Hungry Bucs In 3-Day Mini-Camp At IMG

BRADENTON – Buccaneers quarterback Josh Freeman and over 50 of his Tampa Bay teammates took the field for the first of three days worth of a two-a-day mini-camp schedule at the IMG Performance Institute in Bradenton, Fla. just south of Tampa on Tuesday.

Among the notables in attendance were cornerback Aqib Talib, who is currently facing an indictment for aggravated assault charges in Texas, unrestricted free agent offensive linemen Davin Joseph and Jeremy Trueblood, first-round draft pick defensive end Adrian Clayborn and third-round pick linebacker Mason Foster. Even former Tampa Bay wide receiver Michael Clayton, the team’s first-round pick in 2004, worked out with the Buccaneers although he was released during training camp and signed midseason with the New York Giants.

The Bucs’ franchise quarterback, who was instrumental in the team’s surprising 10-6 record in 2010, mentioned several players that helped him organize this week’s mini-camp.

“A lot of guys – Davin Joseph and I know Tyrone McKenzie was real instrumental on the defensive side with Barrett Ruud not coming and wondering about his contract, Tyrone really stepped up and did a lot in organizing this,†Freeman said. “Maurice Stovall and Jeff Faine, our player representative, they helped get the word out through e-mail because they have everybody’s e-mail. Really a lot of guys stepped up. We sent out an initial e-mail and we told everybody to spread the word and everybody got it.

“We had a really great turnout. I don’t know the exact number, but a couple guys called and said, ‘Hey, I’m not going to be there until Wednesday’ because of different issues they have going on.â€

Aside from Ruud not being in attendance, other notable Bucs who were absent include: cornerback Ronde Barber, linebacker Geno Hayes, wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe, guard Brandon Carter, second-round pick defensive end Da’Quan Bowers, fourth-round pick tight end Luke Stocker and seventh-round pick tight end Daniel Hardy.

Several Bucs players who are rehabbing injuries were in attendance, including safety Cody Grimm (broken leg), running back Kareem Huggins (knee), wide receiver Arrelious Benn (knee) and defensive tackle Brian Price (pelvis). Only Grimm participated in the drills and Price told PewterReport.com that he only began running a week or so ago. It is PewterReport.com’s opinion based on Price’s vagueness when it came to his rehab that he could be a candidate to start the season on the PUP (physically unable to perform) list.

Freeman was encouraged by the attendance at the voluntary, unofficial team mini-camp, which consisted of taping, stretching, on-field work and film study in the classroom. Without the aid of the Bucs coaches due to the NFL lockout, Freeman got assistance from former Florida State and Carolina quarterback Chris Weinke and some of the IMG coaches.

“We did fundamental periods where each group is split up and we got together with the receivers and the running backs and threw some routes,†Freeman said. “The afternoon is going to be some team periods and some seven-on-seven periods.

“As far as the fundamental drills, it’s the same. We do about the same stuff. Obviously, we talk about different plays and different schemes during the season, but it’s about the same just as far as fundamentals. But once you get into these film rooms and getting on the boards, it will be a little different without the coaches. But luckily, we have a strong nucleus as far as leaders, guys who know our system inside and out and will be able to go relay what we are going to install later.

“It’s very important because with the lockout I’ve been working with these receivers, but we haven’t done it with the whole team. There are some linemen, but they really just go and lift on their own. There’s really not a whole lot they can do unless we are all running plays and talking schemes.â€

Bucs defensive tackle Gerald McCoy told PewterReport.com earlier in the offseason that he wanted to become a leader this year and on Tuesday he was practicing what he has been preaching. McCoy took Clayborn, who skipped the NFLPA’s rookie symposium to work with the Buccaneers, under his wing and spent the majority of the morning session working closely with the player whom will likely be the opening day starter at right defensive end.

Freeman said that the loss of the rookie mini-camp and the OTAs due to the NFL lockout will hurt Clayborn and the other rookies across the league.

“It’s going to be tough on them,†Freeman said. “Obviously, the drafted rookies it’s going to be tough because they don’t get the OTAs or the rookie minicamps, which is very valuable time. Free agents, man, it’s going to be tough on those guys because they don’t have a lot of time to make a big statement to these coaches.

“With the young receiving corps, we’ve been getting a lot of work in. I know Gerald has been getting the D-line together out in California and doing a lot of the same stuff. Really, we’ve got a lot of one-year guys so they know the system, there’s not a whole lot of teaching going on. It’s just a matter of getting up, working out and staying ready.â€

Although he had a lot of help when it came to organizing the three-day mini-camp at IMG, which concludes on Thursday, Freeman understands the role of the quarterback and the clout he has in ensuring that the turnout is as high as possible.

“For sure, it’s the quarterback’s job on the team and I mean they voted me captain last year,†Freeman said. “I take a lot of pride in being a leader on this team and getting together is something you have to do. It’s a lot, just catching up to guys. They say they’ll get back to you but they don’t get back to you and you’ve got to call them up. That happens, but I’m just really happy with guys getting here and working out and being here. I’m really happy with the attendance.

“It just says we have a hungry team and going out and winning football games next year is important to all our guys. I know obviously there were a couple guys, their contract situation they don't really know so their agents advised them to kind of sit it out. As far as I’ve seen, dude, we have a lot of passionate dudes who made time in their schedule to get out here and do something like this.â€

When asked what would happen if the lockout were to end today, Freeman and the Bucs sound prepared for the start of football season, especially after the initial day of the team’s first full-team mini-camp of the offseason.

“If [the lockout] ends today, obviously they are going to have their free agency period,†Freeman said. “I feel like we’re right on schedule and we’d probably finish up this mini-camp and then we would go in there and maybe do what the coaches wanted to do and maybe get a mini-camp in at One Buc. We would go back and just start off as usual.â€

Bucs Ran 40 Scripted 7-on-7 Plays

June 29th, 2011

So what the heck are the Bucs actually doing on the field at the IMG Academies?

Well, aside from the obvious drills and position work, Josh Freeman said they ran “40 scripted 7-on-7″ plays yesterday. And some were repeated if they didn’t go well, so he told the dean of Tampa Bay sports radio, Steve Duemig, on WDAE-AM 620 Tuesday afternoon.

Among the other interesting nuggets Freeman shared, were that some guys were already complaining about two-a-day practices. No surprise there.

Freeman said today the Bucs will do some red zone work. And Freeman said while Raheem Morris might believe second-year players will be most affected by missing OTAs, he’s not worried.

Freeman said he and his soon to be second year offensive players have put in so much work that he believes they’ll be ready to roll at a high level.

Freeman, who’s not one to single out players, said Mike Williams looks like “a complete animal†while referencing his conditioning and sharpness.

Joe loved the sound of that. The more Joe thinks about it, the more Joe’s realizing how critical Williams is to the offense. The Bucs can’t afford to have him take even a quarter step back.

Lockout Chatter Has Bucs In Upbeat Mood

June 29th, 2011

The buzz among Buccaneers at the players-only minicamp yesterday was that the asinine lockout is nearing its final hours, so reported Tom Korun of local ABC Action News fame.

Korun chimed in on the TV station website that Josh Freeman is getting great signs from his agent and union man Jeff Faine is talking the talk.

Mood: Rather upbeat. I do believe that the tone of the labor talks has a lot to do with their attitude. An agreement in principle can come any day now, at least that was the sentiment at IMG yesterday.

So much so, that Freeman told us that his agent (Tom Condon) is telling him that a resolution †is very close, very close.â€

Bucs player rep Jeff Faine told me yesterday morning †that he expects the players will hear more in the next few days.†He is encouraged.

Freeman went on to say that he thought the only part that might be missing in preparing for the upcoming season would be †possibly a few days of training camp.â€

Who is Joe to urinate in the face of such optimism from two Bucs very plugged in? Fingers crossed.

All of the above is from JoeBucsFan.com and PewterReport.com

Frustrated McCoy Concerned About Bucs Defensive Line

ffe35170d1cf21416c7ab8574cb75dd9_M.jpg

Just a day after lauding the attendance at Tampa Bay's unofficial mini-camp, second-year DT Gerald McCoy, who is quickly emerging as a team leader, was disappointed to see only two other D-linemen show up for Thursday's practice session.

BRADENTON – Second-year Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, whose body has been transformed into one that is leaner and more muscular this offseason, was flexing his muscles as a leader during Tampa Bay’s unofficial three-day mini-camp at the IMG Performance Institute in Brandenton, Fla. With no coaches present due to the NFL lockout, which has eclipsed 100 days, McCoy took it upon himself to serve as the leader and mentor to the Buccaneers’ defensive line.

Most of the players at the mini-camp were McCoy’s age – 23 – or just slightly older. Rookie defensive end Adrian Clayborn, Tampa Bay’s first-round draft pick this year, may have been the only defensive lineman younger than McCoy, and the two were inseparable during the on-field workouts.

“I love what I’m seeing with the attendance and guys wanting to play,†McCoy said on Tuesday, a day in which the Bucs had over 50 players show up, including most of the defensive line. “I’m having fun.â€

On Wednesday, McCoy, the Bucs’ first-round pick a year ago, was asked what unit concerned him the most and he was not afraid to point the finger at himself and his defensive linemates.

“The biggest concern, honestly? I’m concerned about us up front,†McCoy said. “My coaches and my teammates and even Free (quarterback Josh Freeman) called me and a few of the other guys called me and told me to make sure I got the defense out there. Davin [Joseph] texted me and told me to get the D-line out here. Apparently these guys feel that I am the leader of the D-line room so I take it upon myself that if the D-line isn’t running right it’s something I need to get together. My focus is on us up front. If we can get going – if the D-line can get rolling like we’re supposed to it will change the whole team and not just the defense.â€

But on Thursday, the final day of the mini-camp, at least a dozen Buccaneers did not show up for the final day of practice, and the defensive line numbers dwindled from nine to just three. Only McCoy, Clayborn and backup defensive lineman Doug Worthington showed up for Thursday’s workout.

After practice, McCoy was clearly disappointed that the defensive line did not have the same type of showing that the offensive line did throughout the mini-camp.

“Everybody had their own offseason agenda and his own offseason schedule, but we almost had the whole team out here the first two days,†McCoy said. “It was great, but if I could have gotten the entire D-line to show up – everybody – on time every day like the O-line did it would have been even better.â€

In his quest to become the respected leader of the defensive line in Tampa Bay, McCoy wants his unit to take on the personality and identity of the Buccaneers offensive line.

“The O-line was in the weight room working out together and then they came out on the field together. They eat together and they do everything together. That’s what I want, man. That’s the only way we’re going to be dominant on the field as a defensive line. Everybody wants to be dominant and talk about it, but nobody wants to be about it.

“Don’t get me wrong. I love my D-linemen. I love those guys to death. I would do anything for them, but me being a leader I’m concerned about them. It’s just like me being a parent. I’m concerned about my kids – my pack or my group. They’re my brothers, really. I’m not saying I’m above anybody by no means. We’re family. We’re brothers. I just want my brothers and I to be tight knit. My true family is very tight knit. I want my football family to be the same way.â€

McCoy spent the entire offseason training hard in San Diego, dropping 10 pounds from his playing weight of 310 pounds last year and turning fat into muscle. He even tried to organize a defensive line workout for a week in San Diego earlier in the month, offering to fly guys in and pay their way in terms of travel expenses. Only a handful of players showed up, including Clayborn and defensive ends Michael Bennett and Kyle Moore among a few others.

“I didn’t get as much participation as I wanted, but I did get some guys to come, and the guys that did come out got some work in,†McCoy said. “One of the guys that came out was Clayborn and I got to spend some time with him and worked with him individually. I had a whole week to work with him then and I sat him down and talked to him about what he’s thinking and how he plays.

“All I’ve been trying to do is get our guys together and get that pack mentality. That’s why I showed up every day to this mini-camp because you can’t tell other people we need to show up every day and then you don’t show up every day. That’s why I went to every 9:00 a.m. workout and that’s why I came to every on-field thing we did. If I’m going to be a leader, I have to lead by example and not just talk about it.â€

McCoy shook his head in disgust when talking about life as an NFL player and how the defensive linemen tend to go their separate ways in the pros, which is not what the Oklahoma product was used to back in college.

“I’m trying to get the feeling here in Tampa that we had at Oklahoma along the D-line,†McCoy said. “When it comes to football, it all starts up front on either side of the ball. I want our defensive line to come together like the offensive line has come together. They are so tight knit. God, I want the same thing. If you have two tight knit sides of the ball and you put those together to go play somebody else – man, you are going to dominate. Look at Pittsburgh and Green Bay. Those teams are tight knit as units. We have all the tools to do that, too.â€

There is no doubt that McCoy has transformed his body this offseason by hitting the weights hard and doing an extraordinary amount of conditioning. But perhaps the most interesting and impressive transformation is how quickly he has embraced a leadership role in Tampa Bay. McCoy deserves a good deal of credit for trying to foster a greater sense of unity among the defensive linemen, even if his teammates aren’t necessarily following his lead just yet.

“I was always raised to be a leader and not a follower,†McCoy said. “The Glazers and Mr. Dominik and Coach Morris told me, ‘If we draft you, we bring you in to be the leader and not just put you on the side of the stadium just because.’ They wanted me to be the leader of the D-line and I took it upon myself to learn as a rookie because you have to serve before you can lead. I did my duties as a rookie and now it’s my time to take over. That’s what I’m supposed to do. If I had the role of a captain would I take it on? Of course I would. That’s me. You all know I love to talk. I’m not a shy guy. If I have to be a leader and speak up and take over I’m happy to do that because I love this sport and I love my team and I love winning.â€

Frustrated McCoy Concerned About Bucs Defensive Line

ffe35170d1cf21416c7ab8574cb75dd9_M.jpg

Just a day after lauding the attendance at Tampa Bay's unofficial mini-camp, second-year DT Gerald McCoy, who is quickly emerging as a team leader, was disappointed to see only two other D-linemen show up for Thursday's practice session.

BRADENTON – Second-year Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, whose body has been transformed into one that is leaner and more muscular this offseason, was flexing his muscles as a leader during Tampa Bay’s unofficial three-day mini-camp at the IMG Performance Institute in Brandenton, Fla. With no coaches present due to the NFL lockout, which has eclipsed 100 days, McCoy took it upon himself to serve as the leader and mentor to the Buccaneers’ defensive line.

Most of the players at the mini-camp were McCoy’s age – 23 – or just slightly older. Rookie defensive end Adrian Clayborn, Tampa Bay’s first-round draft pick this year, may have been the only defensive lineman younger than McCoy, and the two were inseparable during the on-field workouts.

“I love what I’m seeing with the attendance and guys wanting to play,†McCoy said on Tuesday, a day in which the Bucs had over 50 players show up, including most of the defensive line. “I’m having fun.â€

On Wednesday, McCoy, the Bucs’ first-round pick a year ago, was asked what unit concerned him the most and he was not afraid to point the finger at himself and his defensive linemates.

“The biggest concern, honestly? I’m concerned about us up front,†McCoy said. “My coaches and my teammates and even Free (quarterback Josh Freeman) called me and a few of the other guys called me and told me to make sure I got the defense out there. Davin [Joseph] texted me and told me to get the D-line out here. Apparently these guys feel that I am the leader of the D-line room so I take it upon myself that if the D-line isn’t running right it’s something I need to get together. My focus is on us up front. If we can get going – if the D-line can get rolling like we’re supposed to it will change the whole team and not just the defense.â€

But on Thursday, the final day of the mini-camp, at least a dozen Buccaneers did not show up for the final day of practice, and the defensive line numbers dwindled from nine to just three. Only McCoy, Clayborn and backup defensive lineman Doug Worthington showed up for Thursday’s workout.

After practice, McCoy was clearly disappointed that the defensive line did not have the same type of showing that the offensive line did throughout the mini-camp.

“Everybody had their own offseason agenda and his own offseason schedule, but we almost had the whole team out here the first two days,†McCoy said. “It was great, but if I could have gotten the entire D-line to show up – everybody – on time every day like the O-line did it would have been even better.â€

In his quest to become the respected leader of the defensive line in Tampa Bay, McCoy wants his unit to take on the personality and identity of the Buccaneers offensive line.

“The O-line was in the weight room working out together and then they came out on the field together. They eat together and they do everything together. That’s what I want, man. That’s the only way we’re going to be dominant on the field as a defensive line. Everybody wants to be dominant and talk about it, but nobody wants to be about it.

“Don’t get me wrong. I love my D-linemen. I love those guys to death. I would do anything for them, but me being a leader I’m concerned about them. It’s just like me being a parent. I’m concerned about my kids – my pack or my group. They’re my brothers, really. I’m not saying I’m above anybody by no means. We’re family. We’re brothers. I just want my brothers and I to be tight knit. My true family is very tight knit. I want my football family to be the same way.â€

McCoy spent the entire offseason training hard in San Diego, dropping 10 pounds from his playing weight of 310 pounds last year and turning fat into muscle. He even tried to organize a defensive line workout for a week in San Diego earlier in the month, offering to fly guys in and pay their way in terms of travel expenses. Only a handful of players showed up, including Clayborn and defensive ends Michael Bennett and Kyle Moore among a few others.

“I didn’t get as much participation as I wanted, but I did get some guys to come, and the guys that did come out got some work in,†McCoy said. “One of the guys that came out was Clayborn and I got to spend some time with him and worked with him individually. I had a whole week to work with him then and I sat him down and talked to him about what he’s thinking and how he plays.

“All I’ve been trying to do is get our guys together and get that pack mentality. That’s why I showed up every day to this mini-camp because you can’t tell other people we need to show up every day and then you don’t show up every day. That’s why I went to every 9:00 a.m. workout and that’s why I came to every on-field thing we did. If I’m going to be a leader, I have to lead by example and not just talk about it.â€

McCoy shook his head in disgust when talking about life as an NFL player and how the defensive linemen tend to go their separate ways in the pros, which is not what the Oklahoma product was used to back in college.

“I’m trying to get the feeling here in Tampa that we had at Oklahoma along the D-line,†McCoy said. “When it comes to football, it all starts up front on either side of the ball. I want our defensive line to come together like the offensive line has come together. They are so tight knit. God, I want the same thing. If you have two tight knit sides of the ball and you put those together to go play somebody else – man, you are going to dominate. Look at Pittsburgh and Green Bay. Those teams are tight knit as units. We have all the tools to do that, too.â€

There is no doubt that McCoy has transformed his body this offseason by hitting the weights hard and doing an extraordinary amount of conditioning. But perhaps the most interesting and impressive transformation is how quickly he has embraced a leadership role in Tampa Bay. McCoy deserves a good deal of credit for trying to foster a greater sense of unity among the defensive linemen, even if his teammates aren’t necessarily following his lead just yet.

“I was always raised to be a leader and not a follower,†McCoy said. “The Glazers and Mr. Dominik and Coach Morris told me, ‘If we draft you, we bring you in to be the leader and not just put you on the side of the stadium just because.’ They wanted me to be the leader of the D-line and I took it upon myself to learn as a rookie because you have to serve before you can lead. I did my duties as a rookie and now it’s my time to take over. That’s what I’m supposed to do. If I had the role of a captain would I take it on? Of course I would. That’s me. You all know I love to talk. I’m not a shy guy. If I have to be a leader and speak up and take over I’m happy to do that because I love this sport and I love my team and I love winning.â€

SOURCE

Get those boys in check Gerald. You the man!

Edited by BucD

I don't know about everyone else, but I am really excited about Mike Williams. I saw Freeman making some comments about him saying he looks like an absolute animal and is already in mid-season form.

Oh yea, and I love Josh Freeman. This kid is truly amazing.