Sign in to follow this  
ride or die redskins

Jets re-sign Holmes to 5 yr deal

Per Schefter

Sources: Jets, Holmes agree

The New York Jets addressed the No. 1 item on their free-agent list, coming to terms Wednesday morning with wide receiver Santonio Holmes, according to a league source.

The deal is for five years, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. By rule, Holmes isn't permitted to sign the contract until Friday.

Holmes' deal, believed to be in the $10 million-a-year range, is so big that it probably means they can't afford to re-sign Braylon Edwards, another high-profile free agent. Edwards is coming off a strong season, but the Jets prioritized Holmes because of his speed and game-changing ability.

Edited by ride or die redskins

Overpayed and can't afford Aso. Good day.

NFLN saying that the jets are still trying to restructure deals and see if they have enough room to bring in Aso. Don't think they will be able to, but he did say he would take a pay cut to play in new york

^good to have you back, rodr.

Good, now it's a pretty safe bet to say NY is out of the running for Aso.

Wow.

The definition of overpaying an overrated player = this move.

^good to have you back, rodr.

Good, now it's a pretty safe bet to say NY is out of the running for Aso.

That's not true. We knew we were going to bring back Holmes the whole time. I'm not saying we're going to get Aso but I wouldn't say we are out of the running.

I'm perfectly fine with this move. Holmes is a legit #1 receiver in my eyes and Sanchez and him work really well together. We needed to keep Holmes or Edwards to continue to contend in my opinion (Sanchez needs a big time target along with Cotchery).

Wow.

The definition of overpaying an overrated player = this move.

Entirely not true. He has done nothing but crack 1,000 yard seasons, even last year when he missed the first four games. He was one of the more highly touted prospects, and has shined throughout regular season, postseason, and has a superbowl MVP under his belt. He is one of the more clutch recievers you will find in the NFL. If you want one of the best, you gotta throw the dough. The Jets have come within one game of the superbowl the last two years, and are showing how committed they are to keeping their core group of studs, which is the right thing to do. Now if they gave this kind of money to Braylon Edwards, then THAT would be overpaying. I don't think they bring him back. He is a guy who hasn't lived up to the bid like Santonio has. His one amazing year in Cleveland inflated his numbers and gave people false hope that he was something that he isn't.

I don't understand how the Jets are affording all of this. But good job by the Jets on getting Holmes back.

Entirely not true. He has done nothing but crack 1,000 yard seasons, even last year when he missed the first four games. He was one of the more highly touted prospects, and has shined throughout regular season, postseason, and has a superbowl MVP under his belt. He is one of the more clutch recievers you will find in the NFL. If you want one of the best, you gotta throw the dough. The Jets have come within one game of the superbowl the last two years, and are showing how committed they are to keeping their core group of studs, which is the right thing to do. Now if they gave this kind of money to Braylon Edwards, then THAT would be overpaying. I don't think they bring him back. He is a guy who hasn't lived up to the bid like Santonio has. His one amazing year in Cleveland inflated his numbers and gave people false hope that he was something that he isn't.

He's had a single 1,000+ yard season and has missed games in 3 of his last 4 seasons. Holmes is a good #1 WR but he isn't 10mil a year good. He's now making almost as much as Calvin Johnson.

They probably had no other choice but to pay him that much though. There's so many teams in need of a #1 WR that would have gladly payed a bunch for him and without Holmes, Sanchez doesn't have much of a receiving threat.

Edited by Shotgun

Touche on the stat, but he's definetely worth the money, being a veteran #1 reciever and still being that young, you know he'll be great for several more years. He'll be tough to defend and give defenses headaches. He's their best offensive player, they really had no choice but to do this, unless you really have faith in Braylon Edwards. I'd puke if we signed Braylon Edwards.

Edited by BC

Dude, get your stats together. He finished with 52 receptions for 746 yards and six touchdowns last season. Not to mention he is one strike away from a year long suspension by the NFL. I hope the Jets at least put something in there that allows them to get some of that money back if he is suspended.

Edit: I'm not knocking the guy, he is good. A game changer no doubt. But he isn't one of the leagues top WRs IMO and is getting $6M less than Fitz got in guaranteed money.

Edited by KiLaSix9

I'd much rather have a guy who is a play maker and a game changer rather than have someone who merely puts up big stats. Can't really blame the Jets for giving him a shit ton of money. :shrug: