Sign in to follow this  
DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Patriots moving to a 4-3?

"I think it looks like they're trying to get away from the 3-4," Warren said of the base alignment that has been a Patriots staple since early in coach Bill Belichick's Patriots tenure.

"Before, it was more like 'Let's try to do something different and if this doesn't work, we're going back to base.' Now it's more like 'This is what we're doing',"

Link

Ty Warren's words...

They ran a lot of 4-2-5, and I don't personally think they have the correct personal, especially for LE and OLB depth, but I seriously think this is more then a possibility.

Osi possibly on his way anyone? lol.

Im guessing this is mostly because of Haynesworth..

Im guessing this is mostly because of Haynesworth..

Pretty much.

I think they are gonna run a bunch of different stuff. They can keep running the 3-4 if they want with Big Al. Just slide him to the 3 technique as an DE. He'll demand a double team there, so no biggie. Just don't tell him to play Nose. :biggrin:

I don't really think you are going to try and get away from what won you 3 Super Bowls.

Then again, when Bill first came to New England, they ran a lot of 4 man fronts, so I could be wrong in saying that. Gotta work with what you have first and foremost to get the most production.

Edited by KeVo

Wilfork and Haynesworth together in the middle of a 4-3 line will be brutal to stop.

I agree. The best thing to do is use Fat Albert where he is most effective. Forget about trying to convert him or make him into something he is not. Let him stuff the run and with Vince, no one will take it up the middle.

They may have gottin Haynesworth because they wanted to go to a 4-3 and not the other way around. To be honest they haven't had all that good of a defense in the 3-4 for a while, they probably think they now have better personnel for the 4-3. I wouldn't be surprised if they in fact do change defenses. Or perhaps they plan on doing more of a hybrid with just a lot more 4-3 than before.

Edited by Shotgun

I agree with Shotgun. Haynesworth didn't make them want to convert. They picked him up because they already decided to convert to a 4-3. Last year they ran the 3-4 but ran sub packages 57% of the time. Haynesworth and Wilfork will demand four linemen to stop them, which will open up lanes for quick linebackers and other defensive linemen (Mike Wright, etc.) Belichick again is thinking smart and making big moves. With Bodden back, improving an already improving secondary, QB's will need to hold the ball longer. That opens up the opportunity for Haynesworth, Wilfork, and all the other people going for the QB. This defense is taking a step forward.

I agree with Shotgun. Haynesworth didn't make them want to convert. They picked him up because they already decided to convert to a 4-3.

Exactly. Haynesworth threw a fit when he had to play NT in Shanahans 3-4. He's a selfish player that cares solely about his stats, and he knew his production would go down in a 34 scheme.

Would've been something to see Haynesworth in Detroit.