Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

Update: SEC declines to invite Texas A&M

Texas A&M is still toying with the idea of leaving for the SEC. This was a tweet from Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman:

Was told if A&M bolts to SEC, Big 12 could look at Notre Dame and Arkansas (no chance on either IMO), BYU, Air Force, Louisville or Houston.

If the Big Ten couldn't get the Irish, I doubt the Big 12 has any chance of drawing them.

Edited by SteVo

Better chance that if A&M leaves, texas just decides to go independant, killing the big 12. Most people think Mizzou would be able to get a spot in the Big East if that happens. We'd be a regular contender for the title in that conference.

Notre Dame will never join the Big 12. That conference is falling apart, and if ND were to ever even consider joining a conference, it would have to be a conference that fit them, which the B12 does not.

A&M should stay put. They are a good fit for the B12 IMO.

Notre Dame will never join the Big 12. That conference is falling apart, and if ND were to ever even consider joining a conference, it would have to be a conference that fit them, which the B12 does not.

A&M should stay put. They are a good fit for the B12 IMO.

there really is no good fit for the Big XII, unless someone wants to be a slave to Texas. The conference will dissolve within the next three years. Texas is a good candidate for independence.

The only conference that would come close to 'fitting' Notre Dame would be the Big 10, in my opinion.

However, them even being in a conference just seems awkward, and that is one of the things that sets Notre Dame apart from the other universities.

The only conference that would come close to 'fitting' Notre Dame would be the Big 10, in my opinion.

However, them even being in a conference just seems awkward, and that is one of the things that sets Notre Dame apart from the other universities.

Well, the other would be the Big East, since Notre Dame is already a member there in all other sports.

There may also come a time where ND will have to pick a conference or get left out. The more the other conferences grow, the closer we move to a college football playoff. Bigger and fewer conferences makes for an easier and more acceptable playoff format.

Well, the other would be the Big East, since Notre Dame is already a member there in all other sports.

There may also come a time where ND will have to pick a conference or get left out. The more the other conferences grow, the closer we move to a college football playoff. Bigger and fewer conferences makes for an easier and more acceptable playoff format.

I wouldn't like them in the Big East at all. That would mean that they wouldn't be able to play some classic rivals like Michigan, MSU, etc.

And I don't think there will ever be a point where ND will have to choose a conference, especially if Texas becomes independent. The teams they schedule annually will continue to want to play us whether we are independent or not, plus then we could add Texas to our schedule each year.

Recent reports saying this is a done deal. A&M agreed to leave Big 12 and now just waiting for SEC approval.

Recent reports saying this is a done deal. A&M agreed to leave Big 12 and now just waiting for SEC approval.

And just when the Big 12 thought they could hold it together without Nebraska and Colorado, A&M leaves. I give the Big XII two more years of existence.

I wonder what Oklahoma will do if Texas goes Independent? I'd love to see them come to the SEC as well.

Source: Report of Texas A&M accepting SEC invitation 'just not true'

A high-ranking SEC source told Sporting News on Thursday night that a report of Texas A&M accepting an invitation to the SEC is “just not true.”

While the two parties continue to talk about a possible agreement, there are numerous hurdles to clear before Texas A&M becomes the 13th member of the SEC.

“Way premature,” the SEC source said. “Our conference presidents and athletic directors haven’t met about it, and that has to happen before anything goes forward. There’s a lot of work to do before we’re anything close to that.”

The Rivals.com Texas A&M website reported Thursday night that the Aggies had accepted an invitation from the SEC, and would join in 2012.

While the two sides could still come to an agreement, there are obvious problems —most notably the Texas legislature pressuring the Aggies to preserve longstanding rivalries with Texas and Texas Tech.

Source: Sporting News

I wouldn't like them in the Big East at all. That would mean that they wouldn't be able to play some classic rivals like Michigan, MSU, etc.

And I don't think there will ever be a point where ND will have to choose a conference, especially if Texas becomes independent. The teams they schedule annually will continue to want to play us whether we are independent or not, plus then we could add Texas to our schedule each year.

ND plays against a lot of the Big East too though. If they were to join a conference in football, it would probably be them because of the strong ties already in place. But I don't think that will ever happen. ND makes too much money and gets too many bids to split with others.

I wonder what Oklahoma will do if Texas goes Independent? I'd love to see them come to the SEC as well.

They'll probably follow the Longhorns and go independent as well. I'd love to have them in the SEC too but just I just don't see it happening with the contest they have with Texas to be the biggest and baddest.

And as for Arkansas leaving the SEC? Fat chance. Once a team gets in, they stay in. They split the revenues from bowls evenly across the board. With Arkansas being on the up, it only betters their profits. Plus, the SEC is trying to get to 16. Why would they cut down to go up?

ND plays against a lot of the Big East too though. If they were to join a conference in football, it would probably be them because of the strong ties already in place. But I don't think that will ever happen. ND makes too much money and gets too many bids to split with others.

Notre Dame plays those Big East teams because it has to. It was threatened with a lawsuit a few years ago, because Irish teams were capitalizing on Big East money in other sports, but Notre Dame wasnt' giving the Big East the same opportunity to capitalize off of Irish football money. Instead of allowing it to go to court, ND agreed to schedule more football games against Big East programs.

As far as Oklahoma, both it an Oklahoma State will be targets of the Pac 12, as they were before. Texas Tech and Baylor may also become targets, because the conference really wants to expand into Texas.

- A&M and FSU to the SEC

- OU and OKState to PAC-10

- Texas goes Independent

- A&M and FSU to the SEC

- OU and OKState to PAC-10

- Texas goes Independent

Still reading that the Big 12 will target Notre Dame, Air Force and BYU.

I personally think that conference is done. It's the SWC all over again.

I think it would be best for the Longhorns to go independent. I think we'd be better served facing more teams like USC, Norte Dame, ect than having to play Baylor every year. It will be harder to get bowl recognition if we have a bad year but overall I think it'd be better for the program.

I just wonder what happens to Kansas, KSU and ISU if the Big XII dies. Do they form a new conference with some smaller schools or do they jump to say the MWC?

I think it would be best for the Longhorns to go independent. I think we'd be better served facing more teams like USC, Norte Dame, ect than having to play Baylor every year. It will be harder to get bowl recognition if we have a bad year but overall I think it'd be better for the program.

I just wonder what happens to Kansas, KSU and ISU if the Big XII dies. Do they form a new conference with some smaller schools or do they jump to say the MWC?

If Texas gets the sweet BCS deal that Notre Dame has, Independence is great for them. As it is, the Horns have finished the regular season with one loss and in the top-8, but didn't play in a BCS game, and ended up in the December Holiday Bowl instead.

SEC does not extend invite to A&M

The Southeastern Conference is not extending an invitation to Texas A&M to become its 13th member, but isn't ruling out adding the Aggies in the future.

University of Florida president Dr. Bernie Machen said the conference's presidents and chancellors met on Sunday and "reaffirmed our satisfaction with the present 12 institutional alignment."

"We recognize, however, that future conditions may make it advantageous to expand the number of institutions in the league," Machen said. "We discussed criteria and process associated with expansion. No action was taken with respect to any institution including Texas A&M."

Source: ESPN

Edited by KeVo

Hahaha poor Texas A&M. They kind of brought it upon themselves, though.

I think Texas should go idependent. It would be fun to see them play ND and some Big 10 and PAC 10 schools.

Upon further thinking, I think A&M coming is still likely. The SEC is just avoiding a lawsuit and trying to get a potential 14th member.

Edited by KeVo

I think the SEC doesn't want to be named in any lawsuits if A&M bailed without going through the proper exit procedures. It didn't give a definite no. It gave a "not at this time".

Really hope this doesn't set off the Super Conferences if A&M does go.

Why? It's a step closer to getting a playoff system.

As for A&M being closed out, I'd agree that it is temporary. They probably had to give an answer and without having huge interest from the East side, it was the smart move to say "not at this time."