Sign in to follow this  
FSUViking

The FSU-SEC flirtation could soon become a legit marriage

If A&M-to-SEC domino tips, could ‘Noles be next?

Posted by John Taylor on August 12, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT

We, or more specifically I, have regarded it as a foregone conclusion that if — again stressing the word “if” — Texas A&M were to pull the trigger on a move to the SEC, it would be the first but certainly not the last expansion move for the conference.

It’s almost unimaginable that the SEC would add A&M and only A&M, leaving the conference at an uneven 13 teams. Instead, A&M would likely be the first domino to fall on the way to, eventually, 16 teams. The question if the Aggie assumptions come to fruition then becomes, who’s next? Some of the more popular names spit out by the rumor mill during this latest round of conference apocalypse include Oklahoma, Virginia Tech and Florida State. And, as luck would have it, one of those schools is the subject of the latest “official” speculation.

Tom D’Angelo of the Palm Beach Post is the most recent media entity to throw a few gallons of fuel on the expansion fire, writing Friday morning that “Florida State officials have been flirting with the SEC for several months and the discussion now are getting more serious.”

The source added ominously, at least for the ACC, that “[t]his is real,” referring to FSU’s apparent serious interest in jumping to the SEC. It’s also implied in the Post‘s piece that FSU’s move to the SEC would be predicated on A&M first becoming the 13th team in the conference, setting the stage for the ‘Noles to become the 14th. And, our words here, clearing the deck for a 15th and 16th team to be added not long after, as well as the Big Ten and Pac-12 responding in kind in short order.

For what it’s worth, the SEC has yet to publicly confirm or deny A&M’s reported interest in joining the conference. It’s expected the same tack will be taken when it comes to the rumors now suddenly swirling around the Seminoles.

One thing’s for certain: we should have a clearer handle on this latest expansion situation no later than Aug. 22 when A&M regents are expected to not only take up the SEC issue, but possibly vote on an application to move from the Big 12 to a new conference.

SOURCE: CFT

Both sides have flirted with this idea for years now.....get 'er done.

Well damn. The age of super-conferences is just about upon us.

Would be a big blow to the ACC, but gives Florida a more natural rival in conference. Always felt if the SEC was going to expand and poach the ACC, it would target Florida State, Clemson, or both.

I really hope FSU gets an opportunity to get over here in the SEC to kick Florida's ass in an conference game.

• Upvote 1

I've heard of A&M, FSU, Clemson, and/or VA Tech joining the SEC. This shit is craaaazy!

Edited by rzb

I wouldn't see VA Tech leaving. They have it too good in their current conference.

I wouldn't see VA Tech leaving. They have it too good in their current conference.

I could see inviting Georgia Tech before Virginia Tech.

Georgia Tech has some not so good ties from the past with the SEC. I do agree, though. It would make sense geographically. (I know geography has nothing to do with the conferences anymore. xD)