Sign in to follow this  
FIDDYDEUCE

Will History Repeat Itself?

herpderp.jpg

NOTE: if this is in the wrong section please move it, because I have no idea where to put this...

:facepalm:

In 1998 there was small calamity with the NFL draft. Two stud College QBs entered the NFL Draft. Washington State's Ryan Leaf and Tennessee's Peyton Manning. Both were basically juggernauts at their position and showed great promise coming into the NFL draft. Ryan Leaf was getting much more publicity than Peyton Manning. Analysts where calling Ryan Leaf the sure-fire #1 pick in the draft, could be elite day-one, would turn around a franchise instantly, etc. Peyton Manning was given far less attention and fewer analysts praised him in comparison to Leaf although they admitted he was just as good but still not to Leaf's level. Come the day of the 1998 NFL Draft, the Colts selected Manning #1 overall ahead of Leaf who was selected by the Chargers. Fast-forward to 2011 and Peyton Manning is no shit Hall of Fame while Ryan Leaf is... well ... doing something.... I'm sure. :shrug:

Enter the 2012 NFL draft. Andrew Luck, the archetype of the QB; Accuracy, poise, intelligence, leadership, athleticism, A "once in a lifetime player" (ESPN); Projected the #1 pick of last years draft but decided to stay another year @ Stanford and until further notice will most likely be the #1 pick coming into this years draft as well. Kellen Moore is a senior and will probably enter the NFL Draft after the season. He is the focal point of not only a dynamic offense but that of the team as well. He will need 4 games to become the winningest QB in College Football history. A "mini Tom Brady" (ESP -fucking- N). Two stud QBs, one is a media darling the other is a under his radar but just as good. Sound familiar?

The "Suck for Luck" movement has inspired quite a following where fans wouldn't mind their team tanking the season since they are sure Luck will turn them around. Then there is the "Less for Moore" -which I just found out about today via Twitter- shares equal enthusiasm with the former. So here's my point: Will history repeat itself here? Will Luck/Moore be 18-esque or another Ryan Leaf? Given, yes, they are both very good but this situation seems all to familiar for me to just sit here and not ponder. No QB since probably Manning/Leaf has been hyped like Andrew Luck. Not Stafford, Sanchez, Russell (lol), Leinart, Young, Rivers, Eli... fucking no one.

We can't predict the future but we're Football fans after all, we enjoy "educated assumptions" :roll eyes:. I'd like to know what you guys think about Luck/Moore and this situation. Colts need to draft a QB and this should be the year that they end up in that prime position along other shitty teams. Who would be the right choice? Who would excel in the NFL based solely (and bloody obviously) on who they've performed in their roles in College? Who strikes you as more herp than derp? :ninja:

It's funny, not too many weeks ago I was having a discussion with someone at work about Andrew Luck. All I could explain to him is to remember the Ryan Leaf story. Let's not get it twisted though, Ryan Leafs issues weren't the fact that he wasn't and couldn't have been a great quarterback. He very well could have been on or at least close to Mannings level, he had all the tools. The problem though was that he didn't put in the time, nor did he WANT to put in the time it took to be good or heck, even decent.

And that's the main point that has been expressed about him by everyone in the NFL who had contact with him. Or at least, what I have read. Then again, that may be a smoke screen and we might never know what really happened.

I don't think Andrew Luck will end up being the best quarterback out of the 2012 draft. Definitely the 1st QB taken, but not the best. I also however don't think he's going to be a Ryan Leaf or a JaMarcus Russell.

Ryan Leaf was getting much more publicity than Peyton Manning. Analysts where calling Ryan Leaf the sure-fire #1 pick in the draft, could be elite day-one, would turn around a franchise instantly, etc. Peyton Manning was given far less attention and fewer analysts praised him in comparison to Leaf although they admitted he was just as good but still not to Leaf's level.

Thats just not true. If Peyton skipped his senior year, he would've gone number 1 in the 97 draft.

Thats just not true. If Peyton skipped his senior year, he would've gone number 1 in the 97 draft.

Yeah, that's why his announcement to come back was so huge.

Guest MikeyDay

I think Moore will be the best qb out of that draft. Boise State is top to me and Moore is clutch. Hes done that so many times he has alot of exp there and that helps u in the NFL early IMO. I think once the combine starts he'll slip but whatever team gets him he'll be their future.

Luck and Locker were the top 2 in the pac-10, being a CAL fan i said both of them would be good in the NFL. Luck is more accurate of course, but both are great leaders which again is a underrated trait in the NFL now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sounds like another draft I remember: A kid touted to be the best overall quarterback, grew up a huge 49ers fan, played high school and college ball around the bay area, and the 49ers desperately needed a qb and had the first overall pick. It was f'ing destiny.

"With the first pick of the 2005 NFL draft, the 49ers select...Alex Smith"

WTF?

(Apparently, Mike Nolan picked Alex Smith because of his personality.)

I think it worked out well for ol' Aaron though.

That's Mr. Rodgers to you, punk.

Luck/Moore is nothing like Manning/Leaf. Kellen Moore isn't a highly touted pro prospect. Landry Jones and Matt Barkley are more likely to be up there with Luck next April. Moore will get drafted somewhere between the 2nd-4th round, but I think he should go a little later than that. He projects as a project backup in the NFL. He could end up being a good starter in the NFL someday, but not worth an early draft gamble.

Kellen Moore isn't being touted highly at all. Matt Barkley is considered the other top 5 QB this year.