Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Report: Chiefs nearly fired Haley last week

Per Rotoworld.com:

Multiple Chiefs personnel sources tell Nick Wright of 610 Kansas City that GM Scott Pioli was prepared to fire coach Todd Haley had the team lost last week.

Wright's sources have been reliable in the past -- he broke the Jonathan Baldwin fight story. We have no reason to be skeptical, in large part due to the multiple reports of a rift between Pioli and Haley. The Chiefs' furious second-half comeback saved Haley's job for one week, but it sounds like he's going to be on the hot seat the rest of the way. Defensive boss and ex-Browns HC Romeo Crennel would be a candidate to take over in-season. Oct 13 - 3:31 PM

Source: Nick Wright on Twitter

Kansas City's season has been hurt with the losses of Berry, Charles, and Moeaki. Haley isn't doing a lot of good for them, but they need some stability for the time being. Amp up the players' attitudes and get them fired up for each and every game! There is talent on the team, so use it!

I'm still a Hailey guy, especially if the best option for a replacement is Romeo Crennel. I like Romeo as a DC, but I've seen first hand what he is as a HC, and it isn't pretty.

If this is true, it isn't good news for the Chiefs. Coaching controversy in-season is never a good thing. I always thought from the outside looking in that Pioli and Haley got along very well, but looks can be deceiving I suppose.

Still, in Pioli we trust, so I'm not going to throw much of a fit no matter how this situation plays out. The team isn't winning much early, and they have a lot of key injuries. There isn't a lot of hope this for this season as it is.

Firing Haley - Yes! What does he bring to the table anyway?

Crennel as HC - NO! Have you seen how poor the KC Defense has been tackling?

Fire Haley, and get Cowher

Chiefs GM Scott Pioli went on the record with me for a couple minutes this afternoon and I asked him if Nick Wright's report that he was prepared to fire Haley last week was accurate. Pioli said it was "100 percent false" and strongly refuted the report.

I asked if there were ever any discussions about firing Haley leading up to the Colts game and, again, he said there was no truth to that.

Source: Joel Thorman, Arrowhead Pride

The only thing that I have seen good out of Todd Haley (this year)... Is him getting in Matt Cassel's face for a shitty performance two weeks ago. And although it has been against sub-par NFL talent, he has come out on fire after halftime that game and then last week.

Haley is a G. He'll get the job done. That is, if he's allowed the time. This season is going to be an uphill climb every step of the way. Without Moeaki, Charles, and Berry, we're behind the 8 ball already. It will take more than two-a-days and motivational speeches to get the job done in 2011.

just to get one thing straight, the talk of Crennel is as interim HC, which is always an internal candidate, I have trouble believing he'd do well enough to keep the job after the season ends