BLUE

Week 6 | Browns vs Raiders

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Browns
    • Raiders

TIME: 04:05 P.M. EST

VENUE: O.co Coliseum

It's been an emotional time for the Oakland Raiders since iconic owner Al Davis died, though his 'Just Win Baby' mantra still resonates with coach Hue Jackson.

The team will pay tribute to Davis in the first home game since his death when the Raiders face the Cleveland Browns on Sunday.

One day after the passing of Davis, who spent 52 years as a coach, general manager and owner of the team, Oakland (3-2) held on for a 25-20 victory in Houston last Sunday. Jackson admitted there will always be a constant remembrance of the man who hired him as head coach this past offseason, but he said Davis wouldn't want the Raiders to win for him, but for themselves.

"That's not what he was about," Jackson said. "Don't use a rallying cry over him. Do your job. Do your job and perform because that's what he pays you to do, to be the best you can be. It was never about one person."

There was a mutual admiration between Jackson and Davis because they had a similar mentality. Jackson has made bold claims, recently saying his team will win the AFC West and making regular references to Oakland making a run at the Super Bowl.

"Why not us? I said that way back in training camp and I'm not going to quit saying it," Jackson said Monday. "I mean who knows what is going to happen over the next several weeks of the season but why not the Raiders? Why can we not win it if we continue to grow and keep working at this thing?"

The Raiders are above .500 through five games for the first time since starting 4-1 in the 2002 season, when they last reached the Super Bowl. However, they still have plenty to improve to be considered among the NFL's elite.

Oakland gave up 473 total yards to Houston, letting the opposition crack 400 for a fourth straight week. The Raiders' 278 yards of total offense were their fewest since Week 12 of last season, and their second-ranked running game - averaging 161.8 yards - provided a season-worst 94.

Darren McFadden, the league's leading rusher with 519 yards, carried 16 times for a season-low 51.

"We didn't play typical Oakland Raiders offensive football and I take responsibility for that because we've got to play better and we will," Jackson said. "But, I think we have got to get ourselves on offense back on schedule and play good."

McFadden may be able to get back on track against a Cleveland defense which ranks 25th against the run, allowing an average of 124.5 yards.

The Browns seem to have bigger issues at running back due to the contract squabble between management and burgeoning star Peyton Hillis.

Cleveland (2-2) spent most of its bye week answering questions regarding the negotiations, though Hillis and coach Pat Shurmur insist the focus is on the field. Still, Hillis didn't shy away from making his feelings known.

"You feel unappreciated because you want to get something done and nothing has gotten done at this point," he said. "You don't know the ultimate feelings in the end of what's going on up top (in the front office). You take it with a grain of salt and you keep moving on."

Hillis and Shurmur both shrugged off rumors Hillis missed Cleveland's 17-16 win over Miami on Sept. 25 because of the unresolved contract issues rather than a case of strep throat. He was given only 10 carries in his return - he had 44 over the first two games - and rushed for 46 yards in a 31-13 loss to Tennessee on Oct. 2.

"I've talked to Peyton. I've talked to him every day and I think as we move forward we're just looking forward to going and playing the game," Shurmur said. "At least that's where I'm at, I think that's where he is at.

"From a coaching standpoint, I want to move on and watch him play against the Oakland Raiders and I think that's where he's at as well."

Hillis and the rest of Cleveland's offense may be set to bust out against an Oakland defense which ranks 31st, allowing 438.6 yards per game.

The Browns' 416 yards of offense against Tennessee were their most in nearly two years. Colt McCoy threw for a career-high 350 yards with team records of 40 completions and 61 attempts.

Cleveland has some key injury issues on the other side of the ball. Defensive end Marcus Benard was lost for the season after suffering a broken hand when he crashed his motorcycle Monday. Cornerback Joe Haden hasn't been cleared to practice after spraining his left knee against Tennessee, and his status for Sunday is unclear.

The Browns have won four of the last five meetings.

Source: CBSSports.com

Edited by BLUE

:Raiders: 25

:Browns: 23

I think that all the emotion and memories that come with the first home game since the death of Al Davis will help them pull out this very close game late in the 4th quarter.

Edited by CARDINALOFWISDOM

:Browns: 13

:Raiders: 27

Oakland takes this one, I think.

I like the Raiders defense in this one, Colt McCoy will be on his back, and the Browns aren't gonna be stopping Darren McFadden.

:Raiders: 31

:Browns: 17

Raiders: 17

Browns: 10

I cant fathom how you guys think our offense can put up more than 10 points with Brady Quinn and Charlie Fryes love child, Colt McCoy running the team and Pat Shumur calling the plays. We'll see.