Vin

Rams @ 49ers

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Rams
    • 49ers

TIME: 04:15 P.M. EST

VENUE: Candlestick Park

The San Francisco 49ers missed out on an opportunity to wrap up their first NFC West title in nine years last week, but they should have a better chance to celebrate Sunday.

The 49ers welcome the last-place St. Louis Rams to Candlestick Park as they try to become one of the league's first teams to clinch a playoff berth.

San Francisco (9-2) went into Week 12 needing a win at Baltimore on Thanksgiving and a Seattle loss on Sunday to clinch the NFC West with nearly a third of the season still to play. The Seahawks lost 23-17 to Washington, but all that did was help the 49ers maintain their five-game division lead after falling 16-6 to the Ravens.

That defeat also ended an eight-game win streak, the team's longest since an 11-game run in 1997. Alex Smith was sacked a franchise record-tying nine times as the 49ers finished with a season low for points and yards (170).

"The men put a lot into it. They were disappointed," coach Jim Harbaugh said. "They'll bounce back. This is a team that's a resilient team, and we'll learn from it."

San Francisco will try to get back on track by clinching its first postseason berth since winning the NFC West in 2002. It would secure the division title with a victory.

"It's a big deal. It's a step. We may be ahead on the chip count, but we don't have a seat at the final table," Harbaugh said. "We need to focus on this game. We need to do everything we can to physically, mentally, emotionally prepare for this game because we know that the St. Louis Rams will be doing the same thing."

The Rams (2-9) enter looking to recover from back-to-back division losses.

The league's worst rushing defense, giving up 159.0 yards per game, allowed another record-setting performance Sunday just five weeks after letting Dallas' DeMarco Murray scamper for a rookie franchise-record 253 yards.

Beanie Wells ran for a Cardinals-record 228 on Sunday, and his 53-yard sprint in the fourth quarter set up the decisive field goal in Arizona's 23-20 win.

"You have to forget about it and move on, but as a competitor they're going to really get under your skin," Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "I hate losing, I hate losing, and am never going to get used to losing. ... Nobody should in this locker room, in this organization."

The 49ers will certainly hope to see Frank Gore shake his recent struggles and continue to exploit St. Louis' run defense - as well as break the club rushing record. He needs only 22 yards to surpass Joe Perry's total of 7,344.

Since his franchise-record streak of five games with 100 or more yards ended, Gore has just 127 yards over his last three games, though nagging knee and ankle injuries haven't helped.

Gore has averaged 96.3 yards in his seven career starts against the Rams and scored at least one touchdown in six of those. Gore, though, missed the most recent matchup Dec. 26 because of a hip injury, and the 49ers had a five-game win streak in the series snapped with a 25-17 loss.

St. Louis' Sam Bradford passed for 292 yards and a pivotal fourth-quarter touchdown while breaking the NFL's single-season record for completions by a rookie. The 49ers fired former coach Mike Singletary following that defeat, paving the way for Harbaugh to come over from Stanford.

Bradford, however, may not be around to face San Francisco this time. The second-year QB aggravated a high left ankle sprain in the loss to Arizona and was very limited in practice Friday.

That means backup A.J. Feeley could make his third start of the season.

San Francisco has won three straight home games over the Rams and seven of nine, but needed overtime to prevail in the most recent matchup in San Francisco last November.

Michael Crabtree caught a touchdown pass in the fourth quarter of that win, and he might need to step up again in this game with Braylon Edwards still dealing with knee and shoulder problems.

Edwards said he's had his playing time limited in recent games because of the injury but hopes to be 100 percent for the playoffs.

"I've been hurt. I had knee surgery. Now I have a bad shoulder," Edwards said. "I haven't ever had a season where I've been hurt, with the exception of my rookie year. This is all new to me. It's very frustrating, but I ask the team to bear with me."

The Rams, meanwhile, are hoping to get receiver Danario Alexander back from a hamstring injury that's caused him to miss the past five weeks.

Copyright 2011 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Although the signs point to a trap game for the Niners here, realistically the Rams are in serious trouble. San Francisco will want to win the West, so I expect them to come out flying.

:49ers: 38

:Rams: 13

• Upvote 1

Braylon Edwards (knee, shoulder) is inactive for Sunday's game against the Rams.

Edwards was never likely to be active after failing to practice all week. Ted Ginn will start in his place at receiver opposite Michael Crabtree, but Kyle Williams is also likely to see an increase in snaps.

Also inactive for the 49ers are QB Scott Tolzien, CB Shawntae Spencer, Moran Norris, G Mike Person, G/C Daniel Kilgore and DT Ian Williams.

Sam Bradford (ankle) is inactive for Sunday's game against the 49ers.

Fellow game-time decision DE Chris Long (ankle) is active, while Danario Alexander (hamstring) will return after a five-game absence. Five weeks after guiding the Rams to a stunning victory over the Saints, A.J. Feeley will make his third start of the season. He's only worth starting against the 49ers' elite defense in two-QB leagues if you gambled Bradford would be a go.

Also inactive for the Rams are S Darian Stewart, RB Cadillac Williams, LB Josh Hull, OT Kevin Hughes, OT Mark LeVoir and DE C.J. Ah You.

San Francisco's best player was knocked out of Sunday's game early with an injury.

Linebacker

Patrick Willis had to be helped off the field in the first quarter against the Rams. He suffered some sort of leg injury and appeared to grab his hamstring.

Two people had to help Willis hobble off the field. The 49ers lead 3-0 early.

UPDATE: The 49ers confirmed it's a hamstring injury. Willis is doubtful to return.

• Upvote 1

San Francisco 49ers :49ers: 2011 NFC West Champs!!! Congratulations!!! I wasn't expecting a shutout, but I'll take it.

• Upvote 2

SAN FRANCISCO -- Linebacker Patrick Willis is scheduled to undergo an MRI examination Monday on his right hamstring after exiting Sunday's game in the first quarter.

Even without Willis, the 49ers rolled to a 26-0 victory over the St. Louis Rams to clinch the organization's first NFC West title since 2002.

Willis sustained a strain low on his right hamstring while missing a first-quarter tackle on Rams fullback Brit Miller. The injury is not believed to be serious, but Willis told CSN Bay Area's Mindi Bach that he would undergo an MRI. He walked out of the 49ers' locker room Sunday evening without any difficulty.

Coach Jim Harbaugh said the 49ers would monitor Willis' condition over the next couple days.

Veteran Larry Grant, a fourth-year player who started eight games with the Rams last season, played well in Willis' absence. Grant recorded six tackles, a sack and had two tackles for losses.

"It was an injury to Pat, but the good thing is it wasn't as bad as it could've been," Grant said. "We'll have Pat back, and we're going to be excited for that."

The 49ers held the Rams to just 157 total yards. Running back Steven Jackson managed just 19 yards rushing on 10 attempts.

"Especially with a guy like Pat, that's a big loss for the team," Grant said. "He's the heart and soul of our defense and our whole team. He's the guy everybody looks at to make the plays to get us there.

"I study as if I'm a starter every week. I was able to go in and pick up the slack."

The 49ers appeared to make it through the game without any other significant injuries. Cornerback Tarell Brown sustained a right ankle sprain but returned to action for the next series.