Sign in to follow this  
Patriots2994

Big Ben Might Rest Until The Playoffs

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has not announced his intentions at quarterback publicly or within the organization, but it is widely believed in the front office that Ben Roethlisberger will rest his high ankle sprain against the St. Louis Rams and could sit out Week 17 as well.

Roethlisberger was clearly hobbled during Monday's 20-3 loss to the San Francisco 49ers. He was immobile and had to adjust his plant foot on throws to compensate for the injury. With Pittsburgh assured a playoff spot and trailing the Baltimore Ravens for the AFC North title on a tiebreaker, the Steelers will focus on being healthy for the postseason.

Charlie Batch is Roethlisberger's backup. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians prefers the veteran to Dennis Dixon, but others in the organization believe Dixon's athleticism and improvisational skills make him the more viable starter. Should Batch struggle and become a sitting target behind a wounded offensive line, Dixon might see the field.

On Tuesday, Tomlin denied wanting to sit Roethlisberger during Monday night's game, contradicting the quarterback's own account of being approached to come out late. Tomlin did acknowledge that the injury affected Roethlisberger's game.

"I'm sure it did," Tomlin told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "A lot of his game is predicated on mobility and so forth. But he wanted to give it a shot, we wanted him to give it a shot. We don't make any excuses for what we tried to do (Monday)."

Center Maurkice Pouncey, who missed Monday night's game, is likely to sit another week as well, according to sources.

I guess they aren't concerned about trying to get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs.

I don't think they can now. They're a half game behind the Ravens, and a full game behind the Pats.

I believe the idea was to try to beat San Francisco, and then have Ben rest those last two games regardless, and hope Charlie Batch can beat the Rams and Browns, (both at home, I think)- which would have given them homefield advantage. So regardless of the outcome of Monday Night's game, Ben was going to rest the next two weeks, IMO.

I believe the idea was to try to beat San Francisco, and then have Ben rest those last two games regardless, and hope Charlie Batch can beat the Rams and Browns, (both at home, I think)- which would have given them homefield advantage. So regardless of the outcome of Monday Night's game, Ben was going to rest the next two weeks, IMO.

^ That. I'm glad Ben is sitting, because I'd rather have a healthy Ben as a wildcard than a banged up Ben with home field and a bye.

According to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers want Ben Roethlisberger (ankle) to play 25-30 snaps in Week 17.

Per Dulac, the Steelers do not want to enter the playoffs with a rusty Roethlisberger missing two consecutive games. The average NFL offense plays roughly 64 snaps per game, so Big Ben would be looking at a halftime exit in an ideal scenario. As long as he practices later this week, Roethlisberger should be under center versus the Browns.

Source: Gerry Dulac on Twitter

Halftime exit, but sooner if he takes any decent hits. I guess I don't mind it that much.

• Upvote 1

Let's just not have another 2008 Steelers/Browns game where Ben goes down with a concussion right before the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Ben never plays well the game after an injury. Hopefully the Steelers offensive line does their job and blocks for him.