Sign in to follow this  
Duck Fallas

RPG Debate

I read this article over at 1up.com and thought (hoped) that it may bring about some conversation here.

http://www.1up.com/features/bioware-bethesda-battle-rpg-titans?pager.offset=3

Personally, I think the article pretty much nails my opinion right on the head.

Bioware has far better companions and usually the better plot line.

Bethesda has more freedom, and better role-playing ability, usually.

I just wish they'd combine their ways of doing things already.

Give me Dragon Age Origins-like character in a Skyrim-like enrivonment, and then just give me updates that add things to the game for the rest of eternity and I'd never need to buy another RPG.

I prefer my anime RPG's, thanks.

• Upvote 1

Give me Dragon Age Origins-like character in a Skyrim-like enrivonment, and then just give me updates that add things to the game for the rest of eternity and I'd never need to buy another RPG.

I'd like to add another thing to the list: the production values of Square-Enix. (Though I don't think it's currently possible for a game to exist with all these qualities)

As far as the other things go, there needs to be a combination between linearity and open world. The first, say, thirty or so hours need to be linear with a clear goal and narration, and then after that chapter is through, branch out to an open world design with a separate, over-arching goal.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that I really don't care about the main quest in games like Oblivion/Skyrim. If there was a more cohesive or focused design, then that would add so much more to the epicness of the games.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to add another thing to the list: the production values of Square-Enix. (Though I don't think it's currently possible for a game to exist with all these qualities)

As far as the other things go, there needs to be a combination between linearity and open world. The first, say, thirty or so hours need to be linear with a clear goal and narration, and then after that chapter is through, branch out to an open world design with a separate, over-arching goal.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that I really don't care about the main quest in games like Oblivion/Skyrim. If there was a more cohesive or focused design, then that would add so much more to the epicness of the games.

:clap:

idk... For me it's BioWare....

I didn't even know Bethesda before Skyrim.

All my favorite RPGs are from Bioware, all the way back to KOTOR I and II.

Bethesda is also responsible for Daggerford, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 1, 2, 3, and Fallout: NV, as well as Brink, some of the Quake titles, Rage, and Doom.

You sure you haven't played their titles before Skyrim?

It's probably not possible, but I just feel like Fallout:New Vegas was almost there. Almost perfect. The plot was fantastic, you had an actual role in causing events to happen, the world was shaped by your decisions, people reacted to what you did, the non-player companions were better, though not up to Bioware snuff, it was pure open-world, classic Bethesda, and it just made me feel like we were so close to putting it all together... and then Skyrim took a step back as far as companions and NPCs go.

I couldn't give two shits about any NPC in Skyrim, really. There are a couple that I like the way they look, or talk, but I don't really care about the character at all.

Skyrim is a hell of a lot of fun, but I just see the potential for an absolutely mind-blowing game here and it makes me just a tad disappointed.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

Bethesda is also responsible for Daggerford, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 1, 2, 3, and Fallout: NV, as well as Brink, some of the Quake titles, Rage, and Doom.

False. Fallout 1 and 2 were made by Interplay Entertainment. Then, ten years later, Bethesda bought the rights to make Fallout 3.

• Upvote 2

False. Fallout 1 and 2 were made by Interplay Entertainment. Then, ten years later, Bethesda bought the rights to make Fallout 3.

D'oh.

Thanks for the correction.

• Upvote 1

My take is like this:

For characters and story, it is hands-down Bioware. I cannot think of better stories than the ones they gave us with Mass Effect and KOTOR.

If you are going for pure depth of world and shit to do, you have to go with Bethsoft. I easily poured 1500 HOURS in both Fallout 3 (roughly 400 hours) and Oblivion (easily 1100 hours).

Fallout:NV is a better story than ME.

KotOR's story vs NV's... they're very very close.

Fallout:NV is a better story than ME.

KotOR's story vs NV's... they're very very close.

I can't argue against New Vegas at all, because I never finished it. I had it on my 360 and it was so fucking glitchy, I couldn't enter a single building without it locking up and freezing.

I can't argue against New Vegas at all, because I never finished it. I had it on my 360 and it was so fucking glitchy, I couldn't enter a single building without it locking up and freezing.

Wow. I don't recall ever having a problem with it at all.

Wow. I don't recall ever having a problem with it at all.

Yeah. I was (and still am) so fucking mad I never tried to play it again. Had it been just one copy of the game, it would have been a slightly less deal, but to have it happen on THREE separate copies of the same game? Inexcusable. I did everything I could think of (clear the cache and all) to solve the problem and nothing worked. I gave up.

Yeah. I was (and still am) so fucking mad I never tried to play it again. Had it been just one copy of the game, it would have been a slightly less deal, but to have it happen on THREE separate copies of the same game? Inexcusable. I did everything I could think of (clear the cache and all) to solve the problem and nothing worked. I gave up.

If you move a lot of random shit around in the world (cans, carts, et cetera), the save file has to accommodate because it saves where all of that shit goes.