BucD

The Official Buccaneers Offseason Thread

</h2>

<h2>Source: P.J. Fleck to coach in Tampa

By Scott Powers

ESPNChicago.com

A day after resigning as Northern Illinois' offensive coordinator, P.J. Fleck has agreed to join the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as the team's wide receivers coach, a source close to the situation said Saturday.

Northern Illinois announced Fleck's hiring as its offensive coordinator on Thursday, but he resigned from the position a day later.

Northern Illinois coach Dave Doeren said Friday in a statement that Fleck told Doeren he did "not feel he's ready to be an offensive coordinator." Northern Illinois was aware Fleck was resigning because of the Buccaneers' opportunity, according to the source.

The move to Tampa Bay will reunite Fleck with Greg Schiano, the former Rutgers coach who was hired a month ago as the Buccaneers' head coach. Fleck spent the past two seasons at Rutgers as Schiano's wide receivers coach.

Fleck is a former Northern Illinois player and coach. He was a wide receiver for the Huskies from 1999 to 2003 and later became the team's wide receivers coach from 2007 to 2009.

Scott Powers covers high school and college sports for ESPNChicago.com and can be reached at spowers@espnchicago.com.

Source

Finally got news on at least one of the staff hires. We'll probably hear a lot more about it once the Super Bowl is over. The NFL doesn't like non-Super Bowl news getting out the week of.

About time we hear something. Apparently we have signed other coaches but it just hasn't been leaked out to the public yet.

This was posted on another Bucs forum and thought I'd share as it's very interesting and intriguing...

Cignetti is known for utilizing a pro-style system that includes multiple formations and shifts designed to create match up problems. His offense essentially mirrors the offense Packers coach Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers run in Green Bay and Cignetti admits, “the foundation is the same.” The two worked as unpaid graduate assistants two decades ago at Pitt.

Well, it’s a year later and Rutgers’ offense improved dramatically from the season before under Cignetti. While they didn’t win the Big East, it would be tough to argue against the fact the season was a drastic improvement from the previous year. Cignetti improved the offense which was ranked 100th in the nation in 2010 to 65th in 2011. Not too shabby.

SOURCE

After reading this...I am warming up to Cignetti as OC more as it's looking like he and their DC, Fraser, are joining Schiano here in Tampa Bay...

IMO, Freeman will shine in this scheme...

I've warmed up to Cignetti as OC, but Fraser as DC is a bad idea. I fully support the hiring of Greg Schiano and I'm excited to see what he does, but I am slightly concerned he is going to turn us into the Tampa Bay Scarlet Knights.

I highly doubt Fraser would be a DC. The only way I can even see Cignetti as OC is if we can't get anyone else, which is likely with them starting the coaching staff kind of late. Butch Davis is still out there, and I expect they've probably been looking at other teams assistants for OC. With the Super Bowl here we probably just haven't heard about certain people the teams talked to.

I'm hoping our OC/DC is Cignetti/Butch Davis.

We'll see. Next week it should be just about done and over with.

@JasonLaCanfora (Jason La Canfora):

Bucs continue to struggle to get staff together - this time GB blocks TE coach Ben McAdoo from interviewing for OC job. Before AZ blocked...Its WR coach, John McNulty, from interviewing for Bucs OC. Earlier Pack blocked McAdoo from interviewing for Miami's OC job #insideslant

Jesus lol

This coaching search has been kind of painful and some what irritating to watch...

I suppose this is what is the result when you wait so long to get a HC. You then enter the assistant coach/OC & DC search late and teams aren't willing to allow interviews because they'd have a spot to fill this late in the game.

Sucks. lol

Schiano's first obstacle as a HC in the NFL.

Per FoxSports.com:

Schiano close to completing staff

UPDATED FEB 7, 2012 1:00 PM ET

New Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano is moving closer to completing his coaching staff.

A source told FOXSports.com that Ron Turner and Bill Lazor are among the candidates being considered at offensive coordinator. Schiano also will be adding three of his former staff members at Rutgers University — Bob Fraser (linebackers), Brian Angelichio (tight ends) and Jeff Haley (assistant defensive backs coach).

Turner, who was Chicago’s offensive coordinator from 2005 to 2009, was with Indianapolis the past two seasons. He was the Colts' quarterbacks coach in 2011 after serving as wide receivers coach the previous year.

Lazor is the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Virginia. He had spent 2001 to 2009 as an NFL assistant, most recently coaching quarterbacks for Seattle (2008-2009) and Washington (2006-2007).

Schiano was blocked by Green Bay from interviewing Packers tight ends coach Ben McAdoo for Tampa Bay’s offensive coordinator vacancy, according to multiple media reports.

Fraser was Schiano’s defensive coordinator the past three seasons at Rutgers. Schiano must still name a defensive coordinator in Tampa. University of Florida defensive coordinator Dan Quinn reportedly declined a chance to interview for the position Monday.

A source said that Frank Cignetti, who was Schiano’s quarterbacks coach at Rutgers last season, has taken the same position with the St. Louis Rams.

I'd be okay with Turner. Suprised Cignetti took a job as Rams' QB coach instead of here, everyone assumed he'd be coming with Schiano.

I'd be okay with Turner. Suprised Cignetti took a job as Rams' QB coach instead of here, everyone assumed he'd be coming with Schiano.

I'm good w/ Turner also...

One...he was close to Peyton...that can only help Freeman....two...he had some really successful offenses in Chicago (read about it on his Wiki page) and w/ the QBs he had there...impressive...

What about DC though? Who's out there??

:think:

EDIT: Both Turner and Lazer could come one as OC and the other as QB coach. Still need both.

Edited by BucD

So we can't get any nfl coaches to be a coordinator here, and we're hiring positional coaches that not only have no NFL experience, but one of them is actually an assistant DB coach in college. Talk about a shitty coaching staff. Regardless as to how good Schiano might be, if the other coaches can't coach players on how to play in the NFL we're going to suck ass.

It's like a 4 star restaurant started to struggle so they fired their entire cooking staff, then they hired an inexperienced cook with a lot of potential as head chef, and now that head chef is filling out the other positions with the head cooks of Burger King and McDonalds.

Per RotoWorld:

The Bucs will reportedly interview North Carolina OC John Shoop for their offensive coordinator job.

Shoop has plenty of NFL experience, serving as QBs coach and coordinator for the Raiders and Bears early last decade. He joins ex-Bears OC Ron Turner as candidates to join Greg Schiano's staff. The Bucs did add former Chiefs and 49ers OC Jimmy Raye as senior offensive assistant.

Feb 8 - 10:46 AM

Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter

Umm...I'd much rather have Ron Turner than John Shoop...

:facepalm:

I don't get why we aren't pursuing Hue Jackson.

To be fair...no one is pursuing Hue...

The ones that did....passed him over for other guys...

Edited by BucD

To be fair...no one is pursuing Hue...

The ones that did....passed him over for other guys...

I don't think anyone is pursuing John Shoop or Ron Turner either....This whole process is really just getting frustrating. Pretty much everyone else has their staff together and all we have is a HC and WR's coach.

I don't think anyone is pursuing John Shoop or Ron Turner either....This whole process is really just getting frustrating. Pretty much everyone else has their staff together and all we have is a HC and WR's coach.

and Jimmy Raye II as Senior Offensive Assistant...

Shoop is a fucking God awful coordinator. If that's where Schiano wants to go they might as well have kept Greg Olson. Just hire Turner and give him a nice contract you God damned retards.

WDAE has confirmed that Jeff Hafley, Bob Fraser, Brian Angelichio, Jay Butler, P.J. Fleck, Randy Melvin, Jimmy Raye and Tem Lukubu are going to be coaches on Schiano's staff, positions aren't confirmed but none of them are coordinators.

WDAE has confirmed that Jeff Hafley, Bob Fraser, Brian Angelichio, Jay Butler, P.J. Fleck, Randy Melvin, Jimmy Raye and Tem Lukubu are going to be coaches on Schiano's staff, positions aren't confirmed but none of them are coordinators.

Yup.

I really like what I read about Hafley, Fraser, Butler and Melvin. The rest I didn't read much about or there isn't much out there about them. Hopefully they can really help turn this team around and back into respectability and contention.

OC and DC now please...

EDIT:

I'm going to guess, Fraser - LB coach, Melvin - DL coach, Angelichio - TE coach, Jay Butler - Strength & Conditioning coach, Jeff Hafley - Confirmed by Larry Asante saying he's the Assistant DB coach, Tem Lukubu - Assistant LB coach and obviously Fleck has already been confirmed to be the WR coach.

Jimmy Raye II will be the Senior Offensive Assistant is what is being reported...whatever the hell that means...

Edited by BucD

Yup.

I really like what I read about Hafley, Fraser, Butler and Melvin. The rest I didn't read much about or there isn't much out there about them. Hopefully they can really help turn this team around and back into respectability and contention.

OC and DC now please...

EDIT:

I'm going to guess, Fraser - LB coach, Melvin - DL coach, Angelichio - TE coach, Jay Butler - Strength & Conditioning coach, Jeff Hafley - Confirmed by Larry Asante saying he's the Assistant DB coach, Tem Lukubu - Assistant LB coach and obviously Fleck has already been confirmed to be the WR coach.

Jimmy Raye II will be the Senior Offensive Assistant is what is being reported...whatever the hell that means...

Fleck is only 31 years old and a few years removed from playing with the 49ers lol. But I'm good with the staff being mostly Rutgers guys, Schiano is comfortable with these guys and they are on the same page. I'm still suprised Cignetti didn't follow since practically everyone made it sound like he'd be here in some fashion. I think Raye is pretty much just here because he's been in the NFL a long time, nearly everyone we've hired has little to no NFL experience so it doesn't hurt to have an assistant whose been around the block a time or two. As long as he isn't coordinator.

I think the best case scenarios are Ron Turner and Butch Davis for coordinators.

@alexmarvez (Alex Marvez):

Butch davis new sr defensive assistant for #bucs. Story coming at @foxsports.com

@HolderStephen (Stephen Holder):

Doing folo up reporting on Butch Davis. Key source says Davis not expected to be a coach but serve in advisory capacity. Also said deal ...Cont'd: Said deal is not complete just yet tho talks continue

@HolderStephen (Stephen Holder):

Source adamant Butch Davis will not be defensive coordinator.

RT @daryl1217: what is Sr Assistant?<Butch will work closely with new d-coordinator (???) & Greg Schiano. Good experience for #Bucs staff

RT @carter_chip: is this like the Raiders arrangment with Al Saunders, Sr. Asst. Off, Davis will work with Bucs Def. Coord?<U nailed it

Butch Davis has been hired, but as senior defensive assistant rather than defensive coordinator. I really have no clue what that really means. There are several teams who have senior assistants, but the Patriots also use that title, but in reality he is the DC. So I wonder if this is just a fancy title for Davis and he is in reality the DC? But that just scared the shit out of me if we're doing the same thing for Raye.

I don't understand why they wouldn't just make him the DC, if he in fact is not. Sounds like they plan on bringing in someone inexperienced that Butch will advise. Doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't understand why they wouldn't just make him the DC, if he in fact is not. Sounds like they plan on bringing in someone inexperienced that Butch will advise. Doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm guessing he turned the DC job down, but Schiano talked him into being an advisor.