Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Mark Podolski: If Peyton Hillis leaves, Trent Richardson is the right pick for the Browns

By Mark Podolski

MPodolski@News-Herald.com

@mpodo

The closest the Browns have ever come to drafting a running back as high as the spot they will be drafting — No. 4 overall — in a few months was 1962.

Ernie Davis, coming off winning the Heisman Trophy for Syracuse in 1961, was a can't-miss prospect taken No. 1 overall by the Redskins.

Browns owner Art Modell, looking to pair Davis with Jim Brown to make what could have been arguably the greatest running-back tandem in the history of the NFL, traded for Davis.

The dream backfield never materialized, as tragedy struck. Davis, a beloved American sports icon as the first African-American to win the Heisman, succumbed to leukemia at age 23 before ever playing for the Browns.

"He touched my life very deeply," Modell told The News-Herald in 2007.

Since then, the Browns have had their chances to grab a running back high in the draft, but haven't pulled the trigger as high as No. 4 because they've drafted at that spot once — in 1962 when the team picked receiver Gary Collins.

Jim Brown was picked No. 6 overall in 1957, but that was the highest for a running back. That worked out quite well for the Browns.

The possibility is at least there, if the Browns feel as though they need a franchise running back.

It's a safe bet Alabama's mega-talented running back Trent Richardson will be there for the taking at No. 4 overall. The junior hasn't declared for the draft, but all signs point to him leaving. Underclassmen have until Sunday to declare.

Whether or not Richardson is on the Browns' radar is a toss-up right now.

Things will clear up soon, as a decision to re-sign free agent and 2011 headache (at least from a public relations standpoint) Peyton Hillis should be made by March, when the NFL free-agency period begins.

If Hillis signs with another team, a huge hole presents itself at running back. That only adds to the mystery that is the Browns' offense for the 2012 season.

Minus Hillis, the franchise in the third year of the Mike Holmgren regime will have huge questions at running back, quarterback and wide receiver.

Can all three be addressed in the April draft? Of course. Can three starters be found in draft? It's possible, but unlikely. One thing is for sure: Richardson would solve the problem at running back immediately if Hillis is with another team in 2012.

Let's break down the reasons why:

- Richardson would be a three-down back.

- At 5-foot-11, 224 pounds, Richardson has the size and the speed with a 40 time reportedly at 4.4 seconds.

- Richardson can catch ball. He had 68 catches the last three seasons.

The argument against picking Richardson No. 4 overall is the pass-happy era we see in the NFL today. It's obvious teams on draft day don't value running backs like they once did.

The Browns should seriously think about debunking that trend and draft Richardson, who passes the eye test to even the casual football fan.

For comparison sake, since 1965 seven running backs have been taken No. 4 overall in the draft: Darren McFadden (Raiders, 2008), Cedric Benson (Bears, 2005), Edgerrin James (Colts, 1999), Brent Fullwood (Packers, 1987), Joe Washington (1976, Chargers), Walter Payton (1975, Bears) and Gale Sayers (1965, Bears).

During that time, seven were taken No. 1 overall, including the likes of Bo Jackson, O.J. Simpson, Earl Campbell and one of the biggest No. 1 overall busts of all time in Ki-Jana Carter, taken by the Bengals first in 1995. Injuries, always a concern with running backs, derailed his career, not necessarily his performance.

The lesson learned here is for every Payton and Sayers drafted, there's a Fullwood taken to remind us nothing is a sure thing, even if Browns' general manager said in he and team president Mike Holmgren's state-of-the-team news conference it will be "Hard to screw up that pick." That pick being No. 4 overall.

If you rolled your eyes after that subtle comment by Heckert, you had every reason, and we all know why. The evidence is there to look up. Sure things turned into busts.

Should he stay healthy, Richardson looks like a sure thing.

If Hillis walks in free agency, Richardson is a perfect back for the rigors of the tough AFC North.

Make the pick.

Source: News-Hearald.com

Keep Hillis, use the damn pick to fill-in a more important need. Shit like this is what pisses me off.

The only way possible that I see this happening is if Luck RGIII and Blackmon are all gone

If this happens...lol. But Peyton Hillis isn't very good or anything (least I don't think) so it's not like it would be terrible cuz it would be a significant upgrade. Thing is, there are just so many damn things wrong with the Browns that drafting Richardson is the very last thing they want to do.

Oh and I was reading about Ernie Davis...First of all realize that I am not laughing that he died, it's terrible, but I'm lol'ing cuz it would only happen to the Browns. Trade for the #1 picked guy and he dies? Lol.

ftr I feel really terrible laughing about it though..