Maverick

Which Super Bowl would be the best headline?

35 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Super Bowl would be the best?

• The Brothers Bowl (Ravens vs 49ers)
    • Rematch of Super Bowl XLII (Pats vs GMen)
    • Rematch of Super Bowl XXXV (GMen vs Ravens)
    • Offense against Defense (Pats vs 49ers)
  2. 2. Which one are you personally rooting for?

• The Brothers Bowl (Ravens vs 49ers)
    • Rematch of Super Bowl XLII (Pats vs GMen)
    • Rematch of Super Bowl XXXV (GMen vs Ravens)
    • Offense against Defense (Pats vs 49ers)

Alex Smith, the guy who's passes consist of throws the average HIGH SCHOOL quarterback could make? Honestly. Watching that game, I was amazed at how easy these completions are. I've watched every 9ers game these playoffs, and have yet to see one throw Alex Smith made that was like "Wow, that was phenomenal!"

I didn't catch this earlier, but I think this guy is just spouting bullshit.

You've watched "every 9ers game these playoffs?" Yeah, all one of them? They had a bye in the wildcard round.

And tell me with a straight face that the two throws on this drive to Vernon Davis are "easy" completions. They're both definitely a "Wow that was a great throw."

I took Ravens-49ers. Defense still rocks.

A Steelers fan wanting to see the Ravens in the Super Bowl?

My brain, it is confused.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I took them just cuz I don't want to see a rematch, but I'd like to see a defense game too. I like low scoring defensive games better than shootouts, which is weird cuz I'm a fan of a shootout team. I think that defensive games make it more fun for each individual score cuz they're more uncommon.

But Green Bay on a bad day is still a significantly better offense than SF

My god, this could quite be the fail quote of the year. No team, even not Green Bay, is good enough to win a game in the offense driven league league we play in when you turn the ball over 3 times, give up 4 sacks (though we held up most of the game) drop 4 balls, and stall on offense countless times due to incomplete passes or sacks or turnovers.

You can credit the Giants for it all but we helped you win that game. We gave you so many chances. You should have scored more than 37 points. The fact that our 32nd ranked defense was able to hold you to 37 when your average starting field position seemed to be at midfield (I don't know where to look up that statistic). Imo, we were in that game way longer than we should have been. The fact that we were in it until the final 6 minutes or so is either a major credit to the power of our team, or a major concern that your offense can't capitalize on another teams' many mistakes.

Last Sunday, we played about as efficiently as a pee wee football team.

If we played San Francisco last week, based on how GB and SF played during the divisional round, SF would have kicked our ass and outscored us probably by 30 some points.

Do not think that you just beat a good football team.

Regardless, NY will probably advance to the SB. I don't want them to, as they are (of the four teams remaining) the most recent champions, but I don't see it likely that San Francisco wins.

Edited by badgers

I may not like the Ravens, but I prefer them over NE.

I didn't catch this earlier, but I think this guy is just spouting bullshit.

You've watched "every 9ers game these playoffs?" Yeah, all one of them? They had a bye in the wildcard round.

And tell me with a straight face that the two throws on this drive to Vernon Davis are "easy" completions. They're both definitely a "Wow that was a great throw."

Those weren't ''easy'' completions...I dunno why he keeps underrating Alex Smith...

Those weren't ''easy'' completions...I dunno why he keeps underrating Alex Smith...

Probably because he's a Colts fan and has watched Peyton Manning for the past ten years, and doesn't understand just how elite Peyton is. Just because a QB doesn't make the same caliber of throws that Peyton can, doesn't make them a "terrible" QB, like he said Alex Smith is.

I think you could easily make an argument that a team would not make it to the Conference Championship Game with a terrible quarterback.

First throw: A HB delay, throw 2 yards backwards

Second throw: 2-3 yards, to Frank Gore.

Third throw: Incomplete

Fourth throw: 12 yards, with terrible coverage from Malcom Jenkins, who had a tough time all day, leading to three huge plays, and the first Davis touchdown.

Fifth throw: Back to the line of scrimmage

Sixth throw: 20 yard touchdown to Vernon Davis, no doubt a phenomenal throw and catch.

Looking back at what I said, I'll admit I was wrong, very wrong, but I don't think that Alex Smith is really the solution for the 9ers are quarterback. Don't get me wrong, he fits their system, but against a solid defense, like the Giants, or Ravens, I don't see him being successful.

His average pass, all year? 7 yards. We'll see what happens this Sunday. But I don't think these little passes will be successful against a very good Giants defense.

I'm a NY Giants fan, and it would be a cold day in hell that I would ever pick or want the Eagles/Cowboys/Redskins in the Super Bowl. It would never happen, so I'm with you! :lol:

First throw: A HB delay, throw 2 yards backwards

Second throw: 2-3 yards, to Frank Gore.

Third throw: Incomplete

Fourth throw: 12 yards, with terrible coverage from Malcom Jenkins, who had a tough time all day, leading to three huge plays, and the first Davis touchdown.

Fifth throw: Back to the line of scrimmage

Sixth throw: 20 yard touchdown to Vernon Davis, no doubt a phenomenal throw and catch.

Looking back at what I said, I'll admit I was wrong, very wrong, but I don't think that Alex Smith is really the solution for the 9ers are quarterback. Don't get me wrong, he fits their system, but against a solid defense, like the Giants, or Ravens, I don't see him being successful.

His average pass, all year? 7 yards. We'll see what happens this Sunday. But I don't think these little passes will be successful against a very good Giants defense.

He's *already beaten* the Lions and Giants. Two other things- first off the pass to Vernon Davis is right on target, if he throws that behind him at all its incomplete. Secondly, the pass that was incomplete was a nearly perfect throw behind the coverage, if Swain had gotten past Greer that would have been a TD right there.

My point is, he takes what the defense gives him, and so to assume he's a terrible QB because he doesn't take deep shots down the field when they aren't there, (by the way, who exactly is he going to throw to with a deep shot? If Davis isn't down there, I'm not sure he has anyone else he trusts to make a catch), is just ridiculous. He knows to take what the defense gives him, and we're saying he's a bad QB because of that?

I think those "little passes" are exactly what he needs to do. Don't force it, and don't make the mistake of turning the ball over and the Niners win.

Edited by Thanatos19

Completing less than 50% of his passes against a defense that's 29th in the NFL in passing defense says something.

Completing less than 50% of his passes against a defense that's 29th in the NFL in passing defense says something.

Lol.

The same Giants defense who pretty much shut down Aaron Rodgers' aerial assault, and completely destroyed the Falcons passing game, shut down Alex Smith through the air? Say it isn't so. Saying they're 29th in the league in passing defense at this point is just plain stupid. That's the season totals, the Giants are playing great defense in the playoffs. You would have known that if you would have seen Matt Ryan and the Falcons put up a donut on offense when they played the Giants, lol.

Niners still would have won the game 17-10 without Kyle Williams fumbling two punts.

Alex Smith never turned the ball over.

Eli Manning should have had two easy picks, but both times the two Niners defenders ran into each other.

The same Giants defense who pretty much shut down Aaron Rodgers' aerial assault, and completely destroyed the Falcons passing game, shut down Alex Smith through the air? Say it isn't so. Saying they're 29th in the league in passing defense at this point is just plain stupid. That's the season totals, the Giants are playing great defense in the playoffs. You would have known that if you would have seen Matt Ryan and the Falcons put up a donut on offense when they played the Giants, lol.

You can't defend Alex Smith here. Did you see their drive in overtime? The guy was scared of the pressure, and had a better shot of hitting a camera man than hitting a wide receiver. They've come up to play in all three games they've played, and they held Alex Smith under 200 yard in the air. With that being said, Alex Smith didn't do a great job by any means. He didn't handle the pressure well, and didn't go through his reads.

And it's not like the Giants have been PERFECT all post-season. They've still giving up 321 yards of offense to their opponents. All 4 touchdowns against have been through the air. Alex Smith did a good job of finding the faults in the secondary early, but faltered later on in the game.

i went Giants/Pats on both options.

Eli is playing lights out football.

oh, and remember it's impossible to spell Elite w/o these three letters:

E.L.I.

You can't defend Alex Smith here. Did you see their drive in overtime? The guy was scared of the pressure, and had a better shot of hitting a camera man than hitting a wide receiver. They've come up to play in all three games they've played, and they held Alex Smith under 200 yard in the air. With that being said, Alex Smith didn't do a great job by any means. He didn't handle the pressure well, and didn't go through his reads.

And it's not like the Giants have been PERFECT all post-season. They've still giving up 321 yards of offense to their opponents. All 4 touchdowns against have been through the air. Alex Smith did a good job of finding the faults in the secondary early, but faltered later on in the game.

I'm not defending him.

I am saying that anyone who watched that game and puts the blame on Alex Smith doesn't know jack about the 49ers. They still win that game if Kyle Williams doesn't muff a punt, and then have another stripped, most likely.

The Giants have allowed, on defense, a total of 37 points through 3 games, less than 13 points/game. That may not be perfect, but it's pretty damn close on the defensive side.

I'm not defending him.

I am saying that anyone who watched that game and puts the blame on Alex Smith doesn't know jack about the 49ers. They still win that game if Kyle Williams doesn't muff a punt, and then have another stripped, most likely.

The Giants have allowed, on defense, a total of 37 points through 3 games, less than 13 points/game. That may not be perfect, but it's pretty damn close on the defensive side.

I'm just saying, if there was any above-average quarterback in the game for the 9ers, it would have been lights-out. Without those two deep bombs to Vernon Davis, Alex Smith threw for a total of 95 yards. NINETY-FIVE. Yes, the Giants defense is superb, but c'mon man! Less than 200 yards in the NFC Championship game?

I'm just saying, if there was any above-average quarterback in the game for the 9ers, it would have been lights-out. Without those two deep bombs to Vernon Davis, Alex Smith threw for a total of 95 yards. NINETY-FIVE. Yes, the Giants defense is superb, but c'mon man! Less than 200 yards in the NFC Championship game?

He also ran for 45 yards, just fyi.

In addition, pulling out a QB's top target as a receiver is dumb. If we take out Victor Cruz, Eli only has 160 yards. There were two great defenses on display yesterday, the Niners being the better D, but the Giants having the better QB, so it essentially evened out. Eli didn't play that great of a game, either, btw, he had two really horrible throws that would have been picked off if two Niners defenders didn't run into each other.

As a matter of fact, the QB with the best game yesterday was Joe Flacco.

The Niners problem was not really Alex Smith, it was that no one could get open against the Giants secondary. He didn't make any truly bad decisions. He missed four or five throws, yes, and one of them really hurt, the overthrow when he had Kyle Williams. He did not throw any INTs, and only one pass might've been picked off, and it would have had to have been one hell of a catch by the DB.

But he wasn't terrible, and the Niners win the game if Williams doesn't muff two punts. He did enough to have his team win if they didn't make the critical mistakes. That's just who the Niners are. And until they get some more threats in the receiving corps, they will stay that way.

Also, wait a minute. So now you're saying he's an average QB? What happened to Alex Smith is terrible?

And if we're going to pull out single game stat lines, how about this one? 22/36, 0 TDs, 2 INTs. That was Tom Brady's statline in the AFCCG. Good defenses can totally mess up great QBs, let alone average ones.