Sign in to follow this  
BucD

Buccaneers Hire Greg Schiano As New HC

Most people who follow Rutgers believe Schiano's offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti will follow him to Tampa, likely as QB coach. No other word on if Rutgers guys will come with him. I think a defensive assistant or two could follow as positional coaches.

John McNulty is his former OC at Rutgers and current Cardinals WR coach, Stroud has already reported the Bucs' interest in him so he looks like a strong possibility. I'd prefer someone with some NFL coordinating experience, but there are slim pickings. Mike Sherman appears to be going to the Dolphins, Brad Childress to the Browns and not that I wanted either of them anyways. Hue Jackson is out there, but I don't know if he is a legit possibility. I'd bet on McNulty being the OC. He has connections to Schiano and has worked in the NFL. But who the hell knows. This organization is very ninja-like in doing things.

Dan Sileo brought up Butch Davis as DC, but haven't heard much of it elsewhere. I think he'd be a good hire though. Jack Del Rio as well, but most people believe he'll go to Denver and replace Dennis Allen.

I'd like Schiano's staff to have some NFL veteran guys, I'd feel a little uncomfortable if we went with a staff of guys who haven't worked much at their positions in the NFL.

The thing w/ McNulty though is that the Cardinals will have to grant us permission to interview him...

Most people who follow Rutgers believe Schiano's offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti will follow him to Tampa, likely as QB coach. No other word on if Rutgers guys will come with him. I think a defensive assistant or two could follow as positional coaches.

John McNulty is his former OC at Rutgers and current Cardinals WR coach, Stroud has already reported the Bucs' interest in him so he looks like a strong possibility. I'd prefer someone with some NFL coordinating experience, but there are slim pickings. Mike Sherman appears to be going to the Dolphins, Brad Childress to the Browns and not that I wanted either of them anyways. Hue Jackson is out there, but I don't know if he is a legit possibility. I'd bet on McNulty being the OC. He has connections to Schiano and has worked in the NFL. But who the hell knows. This organization is very ninja-like in doing things.

Dan Sileo brought up Butch Davis as DC, but haven't heard much of it elsewhere. I think he'd be a good hire though. Jack Del Rio as well, but most people believe he'll go to Denver and replace Dennis Allen.

I'd like Schiano's staff to have some NFL veteran guys, I'd feel a little uncomfortable if we went with a staff of guys who haven't worked much at their positions in the NFL.

100% agree.

Per The Star-Ledger:

He agreed to a five-year deal worth slightly more than $15 million to coach the Buccaneers, according to a person briefed on the negotiations.

Tampa Bay Bargaineeres strike again. Good luck. I wish most new coaches well, but this is classic Bucs playbook material.

• Downvote 1

A good chance of what's to come here in Tampa Bay...

Per TampaBay.com:

Big East coaches offer a glimpse into the mind of Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano

By Stephen F. Holder, Times Staff Writer

Posted: Feb 03, 2012 11:08 AM

TAMPA — Don't expect Syracuse offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett to shed any tears resulting from Greg Schiano's defection from the Big East to the Buccaneers.

"He was a pain in the a--," Hackett said of Schiano's constant blitzing while coaching at Rutgers.

"To tell you the truth, I'm glad he's gone and I don't have to deal with that anymore."

Hackett was kidding … we think.

In either case, his point gives Bucs fans a flavor of some of Schiano's tendencies and the kinds of defensive tactics he employs, tactics we might see used in Tampa Bay as Schiano takes over.

Schiano's philosophies, according to those who know his teams best, include an aggressive defensive approach, complete with blitzes and press coverage against receivers. On offense, Schiano believes in pounding the ball with a power running game to set up deep shots through the air, something he emphasized in his opening news conference last week.

Schiano plans to hire coordinators on both offense and defense, and their backgrounds will have the greatest influence on what elements are used. But Schiano was deeply involved in game planning on both sides of the ball at Rutgers, and that's expected to continue here.

To that end, the coaches Schiano faced in the Big East know best what to expect from him.

Don Brown, defensive coordinator at Rutgers' Big East foe Connecticut, previewed what Schiano's offense might look like.

"He does a great job with formations," Brown said. "They use so many formations, more than anybody in the Big East. He's going to move those guys around and work hard to confuse you. He still believes in the run game. He looks for balance with the run and pass. He wants to play-action, move the quarterback around, and he's got the complementary five-step (quarterback) drop to go down the field."

That's almost exactly the way Schiano indicated he'll approach offense with the Bucs.

Tampa Bay will "be a physical offensive football team that takes shots down the field," Schiano said. "It's very hard to go (on) 13-, 14-play drives. If we miss our shot, we'll line up, play defense and go after them again. (Play) physical, run the football physically and take shots down the field. That formula works."

The heavy use of offensive formations will be especially prevalent here if Rutgers offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti joins Schiano in Tampa Bay, Big East coaches said. Those multiple formations allowed the Scarlet Knights to make the best use of All-Big East receiver Mohamed Sanu.

"(Schiano) maximized that young man's ability by moving him to where he gets great looks and gets the most touches possible," Brown said.

Defensively, Rutgers was renowned for its relentless pressure, a basic principle of Schiano's defenses. Hackett — who once worked for the Bucs along with his father, former quarterbacks coach Paul Hackett — said fans will notice significant differences between Schiano's defenses and those of Monte Kiffin and Raheem Morris.

The Bucs rarely blitzed under Kiffin, who was defensive coordinator for 13 seasons until 2008. Under former coach Raheem Morris, Tampa Bay blitzed sporadically. It seems that's about to change.

"It's not Raheem's style at all," Hackett said. "They (blitz) safeties, cornerbacks, linebackers — you name it. (Schiano) has been around the league enough to know that if you pressure the quarterback, you have a chance to win. And I bet he'll ramp it up even more with more time to work with players in the NFL (versus college)."

In 2011, Schiano got results. The Scarlet Knights' defense led the Big East in yards allowed (311.5 per game) and points allowed (18.3 per game). Rutgers also ranked among the top 10 in the nation in scoring defense, pass defense and tackles for losses.

Though Brown typically focuses on the Rutgers' offense, he said he makes it a point to watch film of its defenses because he and Schiano believe in many of the same principles.

"He's a heavy pressure guy," Brown said. "He contests every throw. He's an attacking defensive guy and he wants to get in your face. I think we're very similar.

"They weren't the biggest team, but they were aggressive on defense and they run to the ball. The corners play aggressive, put their hands on you.

"It's attack, attack, attack."

I really like what I'm hearing here...