Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Rick Santorum Wants To Nullify Gay Marriages

Dude, what your describing as "pure democracy" is basicly anarchy where it's just complete chaos and lawlessness with no central authority or government to maintain some form of social order and stability.

Your point being... ?

Pure democracy IS anarchy, in essence. If the people have the ultimate power, and get to decide everything by majority vote, then its mob rule. It's bad enough what we have right now where politicians follow polls all the time.

There are rights that people get that other people can't take away. Pursuit of happiness is one of them, and marrying who you want seems to me to be a part of that.

Your point being... ?

Pure democracy IS anarchy, in essence. If the people have the ultimate power, and get to decide everything by majority vote, then its mob rule. It's bad enough what we have right now where politicians follow polls all the time.

There are rights that people get that other people can't take away. Pursuit of happiness is one of them, and marrying who you want seems to me to be a part of that.

I agree with the assessment that a democracy is mob rule, but it isn't anarchy. I don't want to come off as a vocab nazi, but you can't call a form of government an anarchy because an anarchy is literally the absence of government. People in this country use 'democracy' far too lightly. What they should be saying is 'republic,' which is what we have.

Also, please disregard the entire conversation about religion above. You clearly didn't understand what I was getting at, which is my fault because I was wording it confusingly. I am pro-gay marriage and, although I am religious, I believe that religion should not play a part in the US government.

I agree with the assessment that a democracy is mob rule, but it isn't anarchy. I don't want to come off as a vocab nazi, but you can't call a form of government an anarchy because an anarchy is literally the absence of government. People in this country use 'democracy' far too lightly. What they should be saying is 'republic,' which is what we have.

Also, please disregard the entire conversation about religion above. You clearly didn't understand what I was getting at, which is my fault because I was wording it confusingly. I am pro-gay marriage and, although I am religious, I believe that religion should not play a part in the US government.

Last I checked, there are multiple definitions for a large portion of the words found in our language.

Have you never heard anyone use anarchy in the respect of lacking authority or lawlessness ??

I'd continue on how mob rule = anarchy, but if you know the definition.. It's pretty straight forward.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Last I checked, there are multiple definitions for a large portion of the words found in our language.

Have you never heard anyone use anarchy in the respect of lacking authority or lawlessness ??

I'd continue on how mob rule = anarchy, but if you know the definition.. It's pretty straight forward.

Good post but to play devils advocate, in common law definitions are interprative but are restricted by precedent law. To you though, like myself any law on the books that doesn't meet the perameters of the preeamble (life, liberty and the persuit of happiness) then it is unconstitutional. The reason for that as I've been saying lately is that morality can't be forced on people. We can't legislate every little thing that offends people. Ethics however is a question of right vs. wrong. It's wrong to murder steal, rape etc. That can and should be legislated and enforced.

• Upvote 1

It is beyond me how so many Tea Partiers can support this man. Here he is, saying flat out that the states shouldn't have the right to decide on this issue, yet one of the top Tea Party slogans is "State's Rights." And that's not even touching his liberal economic policies.

How is it beyond you, man? The Tea Party is just overzealous Republicans disguised as something else. Glenn Beck is all you need to hear in order to know exactly what the Tea Party is.