DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

2012 NBA Playoffs Western Conference thread

When was the last time you saw the Spurs play a close game or a game when they were down big or a game when they got killed?

....exactly.

In playoffs , not yet. But look who they playing.. Two teams that dont matchup well vs the Spurs. Of course the Spurs arent going to lose. When they play in the next series bet they lose in 6.

What a crazy comeback by the Thunder. Durant... man, is he clutch. Thunder can now wrap it up at home. It's looking like an OKC/SA WCF for sure.

LAL has to be pissed. We should be up 3-1 on Thunder if we just finished games. That is our fault and helping the Thunder isnt nessacary since they have a squad already. Durant is one of my favorite players. Hes clutch and i hope he becomes the next great. If the Thunder can maintain the roster for a couple years who knows... they might be the guns of the West year in and out. But in the meantime its crazy we didnt finish those games. Blame goes on us even with this squad we could still beat the Thunder. We just have to play better in the final moments.

Edited by 56AceInDaPlace

Spurs are good,very good..

LAL has to be pissed. We should be up 3-1 on Thunder if we just finished games. That is our fault and helping the Thunder isnt nessacary since they have a squad already. Durant is one of my favorite players. Hes clutch and i hope he becomes the next great. If the Thunder can maintain the roster for a couple years who knows... they might be the guns of the West year in and out. But in the meantime its crazy we didnt finish those games. Blame goes on us even with this squad we could still beat the Thunder. We just have to play better in the final moments.

He's been the next great for the last 3 years.

Fucking Pau lost the game for them with that horrible pass, though. Imagine that. Thank God the trade got nullified.

Guest Phailadelphia

Fucking Pau lost the game for them with that horrible pass, though. Imagine that. Thank God the trade got nullified.

Lolwut. You don't win or lose a game in one play.

Dallas fans were also saying they should have been up 2-1. Perhaps OKC just has an extra 4th quarter gear the Mavs and Lakers cant match.

Lolwut. You don't win or lose a game in one play.

Dallas fans were also saying they should have been up 2-1. Perhaps OKC just has an extra 4th quarter gear the Mavs and Lakers cant match.

This could definitely be true. It's hard to tell if the Lakers were just making very poor decisions or if OKC was forcing those very poor decisions by being in all the passing lanes and just making things difficult.

We lost this series last night in my opinion. Yeah we could be up 3-1 but the fact is we are down 3-1 and we'll have to win TWO games in Oklahoma City to win this series. I just don't see that happening.

Guest Phailadelphia

If anyone deserves blame, how is it not Kobe? LA was dominating with their gameplan but Kobe moved them away from that in the 4th quarter. And still trying to score with 6'11" KD defending you? That's just idiotic. Kobe is too worried about his legacy at this point imo that hes not making winning basketball decisions.

If anyone deserves blame, how is it not Kobe? LA was dominating with their gameplan but Kobe moved them away from that in the 4th quarter. And still trying to score with 6'11" KD defending you? That's just idiotic. Kobe is too worried about his legacy at this point imo that hes not making winning basketball decisions.

Kobe has that drive to always want to win. I dont think hed put that much into his legacy over his desire to win. Thats why hes great he works hard at it. Win or Lose, he'll come back for more. Thunder are just younger and can round around us all day. We dont have enough life to give it 7 games now.

I think what happened in Game 2 and Blake missing the shot really ruined his trust in others coming up big. He has the feeling that he has to be the one with the ball in his hands.

But I mean there's two sides to this. There's your side and then there are also people yelling for him passing to Gasol which led to Gasol's bad pass. He can never win to be quite honest. Either he's being too selfish and then when he's not being selfish he's giving up the ball when he shouldn't be. No happy medium.

Edited by JetsFan4Life
  • Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

Kobe has that drive to always want to win. I dont think hed put that much into his legacy over his desire to win. Thats why hes great he works hard at it. Win or Lose, he'll come back for more. Thunder are just younger and can round around us all day. We dont have enough life to give it 7 games now.

Kobe's psychotic will to win is great, but hes not the same player he was 3-4 years ago and I don't think hes willing to accept that. I think he needs to search for new ways to score this offseason. Gone are the days of his incredible skill and athleticism that have made him one of the greatest players ever. Continuing to try to score out of Iso is going to hurt him more and more as the years go by.

Guest Phailadelphia

I think what happened in Game 2 and Blake missing the shot really ruined his trust in others coming up big. He has the feeling that he has to be the one with the ball in his hands.

But I mean there's two sides to this. There's your side and then there are also people yelling for him passing to Gasol which led to Gasol's bad pass. He can never win to be quite honest. Either he's being too selfish and then when he's not being selfish he's giving up the ball when he shouldn't be. No happy medium.

Anyone who thinks he shouldn't have made that pass to Pau is a fool.

Kobe's psychotic will to win is great, but hes not the same player he was 3-4 years ago and I don't think hes willing to accept that. I think he needs to search for new ways to score this offseason. Gone are the days of his incredible skill and athleticism that have made him one of the greatest players ever. Continuing to try to score out of Iso is going to hurt him more and more as the years go by.

I agree for the most part but he still is able to do it sometimes and he still is able to make some of the crazy shots that we just attribute to Kobe being Kobe.

Edit: I agree completely Phail. But one of the announcer's during the game (or maybe it was after the game) said the ball should've never gone to Pau Gasol.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Exactly. Kobe can pass it still. Hes had some mean passes, but if u dont trust ur teammates in the clutch u cant blame him. Jordan got the ball in the final mins. Kobe is no different. Hes a winner. Either do it himself or win with others he can do both. Hes done so before.

You make a great point, but I think Kobe needs to find balance more than anything. He's still 85% of his former self. He just needs to save it for specific points in the game. I say he either gets in the absolute best shape of his life in the offseason or spots up for 3 quarters. Feed the bigs all game, but have that option of turning it on by not wasting yourself in the first 3 quarters. Kobe is the best player since Jordan, so hopefully we can see him play at a high level for another 4-5 years.

Kobe deserves most of the blame, IMO. But most people, especially Lakers fans are willing to give him a pass.

But an interesting stat I posted in the shoutbox last night, Kobe is 0-8 in game winning shots in the postseason since 2007. If that were LeBron, that number would be thrown around all the time but Kobe gets a pass and is still considered one of, if not the clutchest player in the NBA.

Edited by Milla4Prez63

Kobe deserves most of the blame, IMO. But most people, especially Lakers fans are willing to give him a pass.

But an interesting stat I posted in the shoutbox last night, Kobe is 0-8 in game winning shots in the postseason since 2007. If that were LeBron, that number would be thrown around all the time but Kobe gets a pass and is still considered one of, if not the clutchest player in the NBA.

Kobe isn't the clutchest player in the NBA anymore..And those who consider him the clucthest are simply foolish..He usually takes those GW shots,hits a few,but he mostly misses..That postseason stat tells everything..

Guest Phailadelphia

Yeah, it all comes back to that awful rings argument. He has them, Lebron doesn't. I don't think that tilts the balance in Kobe's favor for any reason but a lot of (stupid) fans do.

As far as his clutch play goes, there's a huge difference between Kobe and MJ in that regard (imo). With Jorden, he always always always got the shot he wanted. Do you remember MJ ever settling for a 3-pointer if he only needed 2? How many times did he have to hit a game winner while being smothered on defense? His ability to destroy anyone off the dribble was incredible. It also made hitting game winner "clutch" shots much easier.

That's not to say Kobe hasn't done the same in the past, but he certainly hasn't done that as well as Jordan. I think Kobe takes a little too much pride in trying to nail a shot right in someone's eye (ie. that ridiculous baseline jumper over Harden last night...his last bucket of the game. That was fucking stupid but it went in, making it a "Kobe shot."). He's made a career out of making shots he has no business making, which fans love to watch. He's still trying to do that but he just can't anymore. Great shape, good knees, whatever. He'll never regain the explosiveness most SGs possess, especially against guys like Harden and Westbrook where he is 10 or more years their senior.

I'd like to see Kobe work off screens and such like KD is doing now. If this series has highlighted any one thing between 2 great players, it's that Durant has an awesome knack for getting easy buckets. He will run you off screen after screen after screen, then take you off the dribble next time you try to come too fast over the top. Now he's got the strength and handles to post up and take just about anyone off the dribble. Kobe, on the other hand, has made a career of taking kids to town in iso and still continues to do. With his age, that's becoming a lot harder for him to do and you can see that in his defensive intensity. He simply doesn't have the stamina to exert on both offense and defense anymore. It's probably one reason he went 2-10 last night in the 4th quarter after working his ass off attacking the basket the first 3 quarters.

Kobe needs to find a new niche in which to score. I have no doubt he can do that. It's just a matter of willpower and the "want" to adapt his game to his age. I think I actually hit on this in the preseason or during the lockout but I can't remember in what thread that I said it.

I didn't intend to type this much when I clicked reply but fuck it. I wanted to reflect on the past 2 games more since I've been trying to do that on an iPhone to frustrating avail.

Edited by Phailadelphia

lolClippers. Seriously. Just LOL. Didn't even belong on the same court as San Antonio.

Did Blake Griffin really bite through his lip?

GriffinCutClose.jpg

How the fuck did he do that? He'll be wearing a mouth guard next year, no doubt.

^He was wearing a mouth guard, had he not, it would of been worse, apparently. His mouth collided with Ginobili's shoulder. (I think).

Anyways, I remember when Pau Gasol was an aggressive post player...

The Spurs are a team where i see everyone would be on their dick. I dont hate them but im not on them to win the West. I just dont see it. Every now and then some teams have lucky breaks in who they play. Jazz, weak. Clippers lucky. Had Spurs played Grizz i bet money on it that if Spurs DID win it woulda been in 7. Congrats for the Spurs winning. But they played two teams that couldnt keep up nor matched up well to them. I stick by Thunder or Lakers beating them out of the finals. Just like when Heat go to the finals, yeah Pacers played em tough but nobody is really matched up to be a West team BESIDES MIAMI. And thats on a good stretch of play from them. IMO Thunder winning it this yr. I had a Thunder-Miami finals and Thunder in 6. Ibaka can shut down Bosh and Durant can score up with LBJ. Westbrook with Wade. Plus they have Fisher whos clutch as fuck in the finals. Not to mention Harden off the bench.

• Downvote 1