Bay

NHL off-season

Avs defense still worries me. I'll be really be pissed if we our offensive potential doesn't come to fruition and the D still sucks with an inconsistent Varly.

Shit won't fly. :nope:

I fear that the Avs are spending too much money on their forward corps, and not enough money to upgrade both their goaltending and defense corps! :yep:

I fear that the Avs are spending too much money on their forward corps, and not enough money to upgrade both their goaltending and defense corps! :yep:

Hoping Roy's influence helps out the D and especially the goaltending.

Hoping Roy's influence helps out the D and especially the goaltending.

Bay, do you know what type of playing system that Patrick Roy used when he was a Head Coach in the QMJHL (Quebec Major Junior Hockey League)? :shrug:

I usually only watch the WHL (Western Hockey League), since the Hitman are located in Calgary, and play like 30 minutes from my house downtown at the Saddledome! :yep:

Bay, do you know what type of playing system that Patrick Roy used when he was a Head Coach in the QMJHL (Quebec Major Junior Hockey League)? :shrug:

I usually only watch the WHL (Western Hockey League), since the Hitman are located in Calgary, and play like 30 minutes from my house downtown at the Saddledome! :yep:

I do know that Roy clearly stated "Im not a dump and chase coach".

Good.

Thomas Vanek hasn't asked the Buffalo Sabres to trade him, but he isn't looking to sign an extension with the organization right now.

"No, I never asked to be traded so when people do mention it, I'm surprised," he told Paul Hamilton of WGR 550 SportsRadio. "Did I think I was going to get traded, no because I never once went in there and said I don't want to be here. I said, 'Right now I'm not looking for an extension, but not saying that I wouldn't want one down the road, but right now I just want to see where it goes. We're a young team, we're rebuilding' and those are my words, so I'm keeping my options open." It sounds like he wants to see what kind of future the Sabres have in the pipeline before he agrees to talk contract with them. However, the Sabres have been exploring the possibility of trading him due to his pending unrestricted free agency at the end of the 2013-14 season.

Source: WGR 550

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=681297&navid=nhl:topheads

Teemu Selanne is back for one more year. Just glad I got watch him play a little bit.

His rookie year of 1992-93 was one for the books with 76 goals. That still stands as both the rookie record, and the last time (along with Alex Mogilny who also scored 76 that year) anyone scored at least 70 goals in a season.

Edited by BigBen07
  • Upvote 1

70 Goals... we'll never see it again. 60 even. Stamkos is basically the one who could do it now.

Edit: Possibly Ovi... if he doesn't go through those scoring droughts.

Edited by Bay

70 Goals... we'll never see it again. 60 even. Stamkos is basically the one who could do it now.

Too true. Teams have constantly adapted to attempts to increase scoring by playing better defense. The average goals per game from last year for example was 5.44

Edited by BigBen07

The Chicago Blackhawks have signed Corey Crawford to a six-year contract extension.

No financial terms have been announced. Crawford will finish his current contract which has one year to go at $2.5 million. Crawford had a strong season in 2013 after struggling in his sophomore season of 2011-12 as he was 19-5-5 with a sensational 1.94 GAA and a .926 save percentage. He played in all 23 playoff games, winning 16 with a 1.84 GAA and a .932 save percentage. He does not have Ray Emery backing him up this season and with veteran Nikolai Khabibulin now fulfilling the backup role, look for Crawford to play 55-60 games this season. He'll likely regress some but you should still expect a very good year from the netminder.

Source: CSN Chicago

Crawford pls. This year he'll show his true colors. Book that shit.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty shocked he got that much. Hopefully he plays well enough this year to only make it a slight rip off for us lol.

Yeah, I'm getting sick of them changing the jersey every other year. These new ones suck. I can't say they're the worst because of the slug, but they really aren't good.

Yeah, I'm getting sick of them changing the jersey every other year. These new ones suck. I can't say they're the worst because of the slug, but they really aren't good.

Yeah I never understood the Sabres' need to keep altering them so often. I DID like those black and white ones from the late 1990's though.

I really like the current jerseys. That third one just sucks though. They keep changing it so people will keep buying new jerseys.

I really like the current jerseys. That third one just sucks though. They keep changing it so people will keep buying new jerseys.

Yeah a cash grab is what it really all it amounts too any more. I like the current ones too BTW.

Kiprusoff retired. Islanders named Tavares Captain.

Malcolm and P.K. Subban... Brother facing off vs. brother in pro sports is badass. Hope P.K. scores on him. :yep:

The other Subban brother was drafted by Vancouver in June.

Edited by Bay

Phil Kessel has officially agreed to an eight-year contract extension with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Maple Leafs didn't release the financial details, but the deal reportedly comes with an $8 million annual cap hit. The deal won't start until the 2014-15 campaign as Kessel still has one season left at $5.4 million. Although a commitment that big will lead to criticism, this seems like fair value for him in this market. Keep in mind that Kessel has become a safe bet to get at least 30 goals and a point-per-game. He's been healthy and a vital part of the Maple Leafs' offense. With Toronto finally creeping out from under their rebuild, they couldn't afford to let him walk and this wouldn't have been an ideal time for them to trade a star just entering his prime for draft picks or prospects, especially when they would have only gotten a rental player price for him.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

DROP THE PUCK.

Good deal for the Leafs.

The Colorado Avalanche on Thursday signed forward Jamie McGinn to a two-year contract. Financial terms were not disclosed by the team, but ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun reports that McGinn will earn $2.9 million next season and $3 million in 2015-16.

McGinn had 19 goals and a career-high 38 points in 79 regular-season games for the Avalanche in 2013-14. He had two goals and five points in seven Stanley Cup Playoff games.

I'm down

I'm satisfied so far with the front-office shake up in Pittsburgh. Something had to change. Really don't think Shero was at fault for anything really, but if he had to go to get Bylsma gone, that's fine.

More contract drama with ROR :sigh:

Want Stastny back, the 2nd line of him, MacKinnon and Landeskog was a nice mix of everything.