Sign in to follow this  
Omerta

Ngata's Top 5 QB prospects.

Is it too early to talk draft ? I am a bit fo a draft nut and next to regular season is my favorite time of the year next to the regular/post season itself. I have started to build my board and I have about 23 QB's on it but I will save you the wall of text and give you my top 5.

Matt Barkley

USC

6'2" 220

Matt-Barkley.jpg

It really should not come as a surprise who the top QB prospect is going to be coming out of the draft. What is surprising is how close that it is in my mind between him and the rest of the class. This is a boom or bust class to be honest and this guy in my mind is about third or fourth on the list of potential, but it is trumped by how much more polished he is then the rest of the class. He does not excel at any one thing really but he is good at everything. His arm strength is not elite but it is good enough to have a successful career at the next level, just dont expect him to throw 20 yard out routes before the corner can break on the ball. He is what is now an average athlete at the QB position considering he is mobile but most of them are moving toward that way anyway in the last few drafts, but he is a relatively good athlete. I think the biggest attribute that he has is he has the benefit of having one of the greatest defensive minds in football at any level. He has been introduced to defensive schemes that most teams wont get to see resulting in a unique ability to dissect defenses pre snap and to not be fooled by a lot of the smoke in mirrors of NFL defensive schemes. The problems I have with this kid is that he has no real outstanding attributes and he is a USC QB.

Tyler Bray

Tennesse

6'6" 210

Tyler%20Bray.jpg

Here is the first shocker on the list. Most people are going to knock Tyler Bray for how immature he is as a player, but it is to be expected of a young guy. However when it comes to potential he is off the charts. He may be a projject but as in the case of Ryan Tannehill someone is going to get infatuated with the potential that this youngster has. He has a big frame at 6'6" but he is very thin for his size tipping the scales at 210 pounds. He is going to have to fill out a lot more to withstand the grind of an NFL season. He has good arm strength and is getting better at dissecting defenses pre snap. He can definitely move around when it is called for but he runs upright and is not someone that you are going to expect making big plays with his feet but he can slide in the pocket and escape pressure when it is called for. He can make all of the throws and make them well. He had a hand injury that kept him out of playing the top defenses like LSU, and Bama which I would havbe loved to see but he rolled a stiff Auburn pass defense for 400 yards so the potential is definitely there. Another thing that will boost him into peoples minds is that he has some good weapons like DaRick Rodgers and Justin Hunter so he should have a pretty damn good season.

Landry Jones

Oklahoma

6'4" 230

Landry-Jones-112.jpg

This is the prospect that ties with upside with someone else on this list. He has a great frame for the job and can withstand the rigors of an NFL season. He has elite arm strength and can make every throw that will be asked of him right now. He needs to work on consistency as far as doing some of the little things that are going to make him a great pro like looking off safeties and leading receivers down the seam. He does both of them really well when he does them but he needs to get more reps to work on doing those things every play. That said though he can throw those seam routes really well and he has a great throw on the frame. He has a great release most of the time but sometime pauses at the top of the throws. He is also very athletic and can move around with is feet when needed but is still keeping his eyes down field and squares his shoulders before he makes those throws on the runs. The problems that are going to hold him back is that he has been TAUGHT to read his first deep reads and then check down to his hot routes to get the ball out of his hands. Also he does not run this offense as all plays are called in from the sideline which could hurt him at the pro level if he does not have a great camp or a year to sit back and just study tape behind a veteran.

EJ Manuel

Florida State

6'4" 240

95625992_crop_650x440.jpg?1297836624

Cam Newton anyone ? This kid also has potential that is off the charts and may be the carbon copy of Cam Newton. He has a big frame and can definitely make plays with his feet. He is far and away the most athletic QB in this class that is a bona fide QB. He also has the arm strength to make all of the throws that is needed and has great arm strength so that the ball comes out with nice velocity. He is going to have to make progressions in the mental side of the game before he becomes a complete prospect in my opinion but it should not be that hard once he gets the reps and some time in the film study room. All of these things were said of Cam Newton and it turned out well, so this guy could do the very same thing.

Eugene Smith

West Virginia

6'3" 225

Smith%202.jpg

Ok the biggest knock on him is going to be that he comes out of an offense that is run primarily form the shotgun and needs to work on his footwork coming out from under center. He has great size metrics for the position and will be fine with going through an NFL season. He also has great arm strength and can make every throw that you would want a franchise guy to be able to make. If he gets in a good system for QB's GB, Philly etc etc and can work on his set up and delivery they are going to have a franchise guy. The mental part of the game does not seem to be a problem and can change plays at the line and he can diagnose a defense. He shredded Clemson who has a staunch pass defense for 400 yards and 6 scores. He is the definition of a boom or bust type of guy he can be an amazing QB with the right coach and system if he is thrown into the fire form the get go his chances of success flounder. He may be able to recover but in the right situation he could be a monster.

Ok this was partly to feed my obsession and the other was so that next year when we do the TGP mock draft some of you slow fucks can get your shit together lol. Like I said as my board stand I have about 300 Prospects and going to add about 50 more over teh course of these season so if you want to see more QB's or any position just let me know how deep you want to go ( at least to top 25 because that is generally as far as I go). Enjoy, discuss, pick apart or whatever.

Oh and any suggestions on which position should be next ?

Running Back please.

Good read. Not a fan of EJ Manuel though. I've seen the guy sling too many strays.

I think Barkley has the potential be a Carson Palmer type of QB. Have some good seasons, some very good ones, but never be great. Unless if his group is talented. He's pretty much like a lot of other USC QBs to come out in that he has a pretty sound technique. I pretty much agree with your assessment.

I thing Smith will rise and be one of the first QBs taken.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Carson Palmer eh? Ironic if he joins Palmer and Leinart in Oakland. Weird how we are no longer in the running for a top QB this year. Kinda hoping that STL or AZ win enough games to not have the #1 pick :yep:

Taking a look at these 5 through the first 2 weeks:

***EJ Manuel had one game cut short in 3rd quarter due to Weather.

***Tyler Bray was pulled mid way through 3rd quarter in 2nd game

***Geno Smith has only played 1 Game/On bye this week

Matt Barkley -

46/68, 559 Yards(8.2 YPA), 10 TDs, 1 INT, 182.2 QB Rating

Tyler Bray -

45/61, 643 Yards(10.5 YPA), 6 TDs, 0 INTs, 194.7 QB rating

Landry Jones -

40/64(62.5%), 474 Yards(7.4 YPA), 4 TDs, 1 INT, 142.2 QB Rating

EJ Manuel -

27/35(77.1%), 349 Yards(9.9 YPA), 4 TDs, 1 INT, 192.9 QB Rating

Geno Smith -

32/36(88%), 323(8.9 YPA), 4 TDs, 0 INT, 200.9 QB Rating