Sign in to follow this  
Omerta

Ngata's Top 5 CB Prospects

Sorry it took so long Bay. But here it is.

David Amerson

6'2" 194

NC State

amersonintsalapw.jpg

DAvid Amerson is coming off of one hell of a sophomore campaign setting a NC state and ACC record with 13 interceptions. So obviously the ball hawk part of his game is covered, and what makes it impressive is his vision when returning the ball. He has great size no matter from what source but he ranges from 6'2" to 6'3" but the most reputable sources have him listed at 6'2". He has good speed for that size and is able to move his feet well while keeping them under the shoulder umbrella and not over extending himself to make a play but relies on his quick feet and great instincts to get him in the correct position. He is extremely adept a zone coverage and has the ability to read the QB and make great breaks and changes of direction to make his break on the ball. The only worries I have is I have not seen any real displays of strength not to say that he does not have any it is just the scheme he is in does not allow that to be showcased as well as his press coverage ability. TO put that at ease though he is a well built kid and I think that if called for he could excel greatly in that too. he has the top end speed to run with almost anyone his size down the field.

Xavier Rhodes

6'1" 217

FSU

1119471215_tV5Tr-L.jpg

Size and speed are definitely there standing at 6'1" and reportedly running in the 4.3 range but that will hash itself out in the underwear Olympics come drat time when it gets serious. He is a very willing tackler and is not afraid to come up and stick his nose in the scrum to get the ball carrier at the line of scrimmage. He has the ability to apply blanket coverage to almost all of the receivers he has faced and is very gifted and looks at home at doing both so I am definitely looking forward to see what he does in this years campaign. My biggest fear though is he seems to have the injury bug, first it was a hand injury and then a knee injury against ND in the bowl game. That said if he can put together the play that he is capable of and have an injury free season than he is going to be going on the first day of the draft ( I would hate to see him as a Steeler which is looking possible). Teams have begun showing him the ultimate sign of respect to him and shying away from him when passing the ball.

Johnthan Banks

6'1" 185

Mississippi State

Johnthan Banks

6'1" 185

Mississippi State

JohnthanBanks.jpg

He is more physical than his 185 pound frame would indicate which I have no doubt will be added to when going to the pros. He is a very good press cover corner excelling in the bump and run style of coverage. He uses his hands well at the line to jam the receiver and has fluid hims so he can get in and out of his back pedal well and flip his hips and turn and go with the receiver. However for all of his fluidity he does not have the great speed you would like to see from a corner. Now he is by no means slow but he is expected to run in the 4.45 to 4.5 range which is respectable but is not the elite recovery speed you would like to see when he is facing a guy like AJ or Megatron but he will be fine keeping up with the Marshall's and Colston's in the league. He has 4 int's last year and 3 FF so he is a playmake despite his knock on speed. He is going to need a strong senior campaign to try to get into the first round.

Dee Milliner

6'1" 198

Bama

ncf_u_milliner_400.jpg

I am getting tired of putting these Bama guys up here.This guy like the rest ahs the H/W/S measurable's that you would want for a corner to go with outstanding athleticism. He is very adept at man coverage because that is the type of corners and system that the Bama defense has required under Saban and he has shown the ability already to be able to do that. The question is going to be because we have not seen him much does he have the ability to come in run support like most bama CB's and if I was a betting man I would say he is going to excel there as well. The problem is we really don't have enough to watch because he was stuck behind Kirkpatrick and Menzie but this will be the year he shows his stuff and I fully expect him to step up to the plate and handle his business.

Justin Gilbert

6'0" 195

OSU

justin-gilbert.jpg

This guy is starting to come onto peoples radar across the country and by the hardcore draftniks has already been there. The reason is because he has an extremely high ceiling. He has the size and the 4.3 speed to go with his natural physical accumen. The thing I like most about him is that I only get to catch him play on average about once every 2 or 3 weeks but every time I watch him he has improved from the last time I have seen him in the little nuances of the game. This is a direct correlation with reports that I have read that he is always working on getting better much like the praise being heaped on Amerson for the same quality. He ahs shown the ability to play both coverages and do well and he ahs good leaping ability to high point the ball and good hands to come down with the pick. The thing that might vault his draft stock is the fact that he is one of if not the best ST returner in the league and would probably be an ideal fit for the Titans. The problem with him is that he is going to need some continued work because he lacks the superstar polish to go with his physical tools. This though is going to be a joy for the next coach he has because he is a very adept learner by all accounts so he is going to be malleable to what the pro coaches want.

Again apologies for not getting this out quicker, I call myself a draft guy and then whiff, my bad guys. but as always comments and criticisms and your own list if you feel so inclined.

• Upvote 1

Amerson? After Tyler Bray, Cordarrelle Patterson, Justin Hunter and Zach Rogers abused him?

He got trashed against his first ever elite competition test.

• Upvote 2

Amerson? After Tyler Bray, Cordarrelle Patterson, Justin Hunter and Zach Rogers abused him?

He got trashed against his first ever elite competition test.

And that is why Tyler Bray and Justin Hunter are both in my top 5 at their respective positions. Dont make it sound like that is nothing competition a lot of people get rolled by them. That said I think a lot of that is because much like Nnamdi they did not let him use his physical presence and played him to far off the ball.

And that is why Tyler Bray and Justin Hunter are both in my top 5 at their respective positions. Dont make it sound like that is nothing competition a lot of people get rolled by them. That said I think a lot of that is because much like Nnamdi they did not let him use his physical presence and played him to far off the ball.

I didn't act like it was nothing competition. I said it was elite competition. The only elite competition I can think of that he's EVER played, and he fell flat on his face. He's been exposed for playing in and stat padding in a dogshit conference against dogshit competition. He showed NO signs of being among the elite in the country.

It'd be one thing if it was just a play or two..but it was constant abuse. Tyler Bray actually went AFTER him, he was getting beat so bad. You don't go after elite CBs.

I didn't act like it was nothing competition. I said it was elite competition. The only elite competition I can think of that he's EVER played, and he fell flat on his face. He's been exposed for playing in and stat padding in a dogshit conference against dogshit competition. He showed NO signs of being among the elite in the country.

It'd be one thing if it was just a play or two..but it was constant abuse. Tyler Bray actually went AFTER him, he was getting beat so bad. You don't go after elite CBs.

Ok that was the first game of the year. That is a small indicator. And the first elite competition ? Really man. He played teams like Clemson, BC, Virginia, Florida State. That is not like those are scrubs. Has he played SEC competition? No. But the first game of one season coming off the season he did last year is not fair. Now if he gets rolled by Miami, Florida state, and Clemson THIS YEAR then yeah he is going to move down. but form last year he has more impressive campaigns then the other guys.

Ok that was the first game of the year. That is a small indicator. And the first elite competition ? Really man. He played teams like Clemson, BC, Virginia, Florida State. That is not like those are scrubs. Has he played SEC competition? No. But the first game of one season coming off the season he did last year is not fair. Now if he gets rolled by Miami, Florida state, and Clemson THIS YEAR then yeah he is going to move down. but form last year he has more impressive campaigns then the other guys.

How many NFL caliber receivers does Clemson, BC, Virginia and Florida State have? How many NFL caliber QBs?

Last night's game was his big chance to show he can play against NFL-level talent...he failed. Whoever NC State's #2 corner is actually outplayed him last night. Wasn't very good either, but fared better than Amerson did.

After Tennessee, NC State's schedule had no other tests like this one. I'm sure Amerson will go on to stat pad and look good against terrible competition, and some team will pick him. They'll definitely be regretting that once they see him on the field, though.

How many NFL caliber receivers does Clemson, BC, Virginia and Florida State have? How many NFL caliber QBs?

Last night's game was his big chance to show he can play against NFL-level talent...he failed. Whoever NC State's #2 corner is actually outplayed him last night. Wasn't very good either, but fared better than Amerson did.

After Tennessee, NC State's schedule had no other tests like this one. I'm sure Amerson will go on to stat pad and look good against terrible competition, and some team will pick him. They'll definitely be regretting that once they see him on the field, though.

And the 72 yarder was a blown assignment by the safety not by amerson.

1. David Amerson

2. Xavier Rhodes

3. Johnathan Banks

4. Dee Milliner

5. Terry Hawthorne

Not gonna change my list because of Amerson's one bad game..The guy is still a top prospect for me..I know he's not gonna face a QB like Tyler Bray or a receiver like Justin Hunter but let's not decrease his value..

And the 72 yarder was a blown assignment by the safety not by amerson.

Yeah.

The biggest issue on that play, though, was his speed. Rogers had to slow down for Amerson to get within 5 yards of him, and Patterson also burned him in speed.

Yeah.

The biggest issue on that play, though, was his speed. Rogers had to slow down for Amerson to get within 5 yards of him, and Patterson also burned him in speed.

Ok that is true. I would also like to point out though as being a transplant to the midwest I am about an hour and a half from hutch (the juco he transferred from) and saw him play numerous times.

There are not going to be many corners that can run with him. Period. he ran a 4.32 at the under armour performance camp he attended. Even if you are fast 4.32 speed is pretty ridiculous. but really in the nfl how many 4.32 guys are there.

Yeah.

Tennessee coming back though! As for the list everyone is over 6 foot tall. Crazy.

Ok that is true. I would also like to point out though as being a transplant to the midwest I am about an hour and a half from hutch (the juco he transferred from) and saw him play numerous times.

There are not going to be many corners that can run with him. Period. he ran a 4.32 at the under armour performance camp he attended. Even if you are fast 4.32 speed is pretty ridiculous. but really in the nfl how many 4.32 guys are there.

Alot lol. Not all are skilled though. But there is plenty. Raiders have to fast MFERS in Bey and ford. U got Mike Wallace, Desean jackson, Greg Jennings, Johnny Knox, Devin Hester i mean i could go on lol. 4.32 is fast regardless but you also need technique and good hip movement to be a top corner. His technique is a little eh but his size makes up for alot of mistakes.

Hes a ballhawk thoug u right. You dont get 13 INTS being a scrub lol.

Edited by 56AceInDaPlace

Alot lol. Not all are skilled though. But there is plenty. Raiders have to fast MFERS in Bey and ford. U got Mike Wallace, Desean jackson, Greg Jennings, Johnny Knox, Devin Hester i mean i could go on lol. 4.32 is fast regardless but you also need technique and good hip movement to be a top corner. His technique is a little eh but his size makes up for alot of mistakes.

Hes a ballhawk thoug u right. You dont get 13 INTS being a scrub lol.

Jennings has never sniffed a 4.32. The others are I will give you but serioiusly you just rattled off probably half of them. The other ones I can think of are CJ, Obamanu (at one point) Rainey, Demps, Thompson and a few more but really there are not more than 20 and not more than 10 he will have to cover.

Tennessee coming back though! As for the list everyone is over 6 foot tall. Crazy.

And there are more. I am glad nobody brought up the honey douche. I was going to flip.