Vin

Bengals @ Jags

Having Maurice Jones-Drew in the Jacksonville Jaguars' backfield has made life a little easier for Blaine Gabbert as he continues to experience growing pains in his second NFL season.

Jones-Drew will try to help the Jaguars even their record Sunday when they host Andy Dalton and the Cincinnati Bengals.

During the offseason, Jones-Drew sought to renegotiate his contract after leading the NFL with 1,606 rushing yards in 2011. He missed 38 days ? including all of training camp ? but returned without a new deal and seems focused on exceeding last year's numbers. Jones-Drew ran for 177 yards, including a 59-yard score, in last Sunday's 22-17 win over Indianapolis.

Jones-Drew is second in the league with 314 yards, nine behind Kansas City's Jamaal Charles, and will face a Bengals defense that ranks 31st in allowing 155.0 rushing yards per game.

"It's a good team coming in. ... Every week is a chance to measure yourself," said Jones-Drew, who's had 29 carries for just 118 yards and two touchdowns in two career games against Cincinnati (2-1).

The contributions out of the backfield this season from Jones-Drew have certainly helped Jacksonville (1-2) while Gabbert struggles.

Though Gabbert connected with Cecil Shorts III on an 80-yard touchdown pass with 45 seconds to play against the Colts, he was just 10 of 21 for 155 yards. Gabbert ranks 31st in the league with a 50.6 completion percentage (40 of 79), one-tenth of a point ahead of the New York Jets' Mark Sanchez.

"The season is so long, there's 16 regular-season games," said Gabbert, who has four touchdowns and no interceptions. "We're going into our fourth game (and) there's a lot of time for things to get better. ... We've just got to keep working and things will kind of play out."

Jacksonville is the lowest-scoring team in the AFC with 52 points. Only Dallas and Philadelphia have scored fewer in the NFL.

After scoring 13 points in a season-opening loss to Baltimore, the Bengals' offense has turned things around in a big way by totaling 72 over the last two contests. Cincinnati opened last Sunday's game with a 72-yard scoring pass from receiver Mohamed Sanu to A.J. Green, and Dalton passed for 328 yards in a 38-31 win at Washington.

Behind Dalton ? also in his second year - the Bengals are fourth in passing yards with 291.0 per game, and he's seen improvement throughout the team with each contest.

"We've gotten better each week," said Dalton, who's completed 65 of 95 passes for 867 yards with six TDs and three picks. "With the Baltimore game, we were in the game going into the second half and middle of the third quarter and things didn't go our way.

"We know we have to keep fighting and keep going. It's a long game. It's a long season, so we just have to find ways to win."

Green finished with a career-best 183 receiving yards against the Redskins, and continuing to put up impressive numbers would help the Bengals. The fourth overall pick in the 2011 draft is second in the NFL with 311 receiving yards, making him one of three players with the New York Giants' Hakeem Nicks and Detroit's Calvin Johnson to average more than 100 receiving yards per game.

The Bengals are 4-1 when Green has at least 100 receiving yards.

This will be the second career meeting between Dalton and Gabbert. In their first matchup Oct. 9, Gabbert had the better statistics but Dalton and the Bengals came away with a 30-20 win.

Dalton was 21 of 33 for 179 yards with two touchdowns and an interception, while Gabbert was 15 of 28 for 221 yards with a touchdown and no picks. Green had five catches for 90 yards and a TD.

Jacksonville is 11-7 versus Cincinnati but has lost the last two meetings.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by Vin

jags OL looks healthier with britton and Bradfield practing fully today and bradfields been practing fully all week while brittons been Limited the first 2 days. the key is bradfield. if he plays the jags offense will look more like the Vikings 1st half. if he doesnt go i expect the Conservative offense.

Jags WR Robinson should be a game time decision because of his Concussion and hasnt practiced all week even though he passed his concussion test. if he cant go i expect Elliot and shorts to get more playing time. Elliot i think would start seeing how he was the one going against vontae davis at the end of the game vs. the colts.

jags only lost to them last year cuz of Matt Turk and his short punt. anger is clearly an upgrade and one of the best Punters in terms of Pure Kick average which i think is a more reliable statement about a punter than net average because those can easily be skewed by 1 big run back as well as the qaulity of Coverage guys

Edited by TDJacksonville

jags OL looks healthier with britton and Bradfield practing fully today and bradfields been practing fully all week while brittons been Limited the first 2 days. the key is bradfield. if he plays the jags offense will look more like the Vikings 1st half. if he doesnt go i expect the Conservative offense.

Jags WR Robinson should be a game time decision because of his Concussion and hasnt practiced all week even though he passed his concussion test. if he cant go i expect Elliot and shorts to get more playing time. Elliot i think would start seeing how he was the one going against vontae davis at the end of the game vs. the colts.

jags only lost to them last year cuz of Matt Turk and his short punt. anger is clearly an upgrade and one of the best Punters in terms of Pure Kick average which i think is a more reliable statement about a punter than net average because those can easily be skewed by 1 big run back as well as the qaulity of Coverage guys

Please capitalize where you should. It clarifies the post and is easier on everybody's eyes. Not trying to be a dick, and typos do happen so it won't ever be perfect, but please start cleaning it up a bit. At least capitalize names.

Please capitalize where you should. It clarifies the post and is easier on everybody's eyes. Not trying to be a dick, and typos do happen so it won't ever be perfect, but please start cleaning it up a bit. At least capitalize names.

lol...

Dalton has quietly been playing as a top QB in the league. I don't see that stopping here.

:Bengals: 30

:jags: 20

Edited by dutchff7

I like the Bengals in this one. Dalton and Green have been on a roll.

ur forgetting that the Bengals Defense has Been Playing Sucky and is Likely missing 3 corners and potentially a 4th whos questionable. the only 2 healthy corners are Newman and Pacman.

the jags on the other hand come into the game Missing Daryl Smith and George Selvie. the rest of the guys are all Listed as Probable.

getting Bradfield back is huge for the Jags. the reason why our offense has been so conservative was because Guy Whimper is that bad of a tackle that the jags had to help him out on every play. the only way AJ Green to Dalton is going to be on a roll is if they somehow get him isolated with Aaron Ross who looks like a Bust of a signing and doesnt know the defense still even though our defense we play is very simple or atleast it was last year.

Can someone post Leon Hall's coverage stats so I can see how shitty he is? Thanks. :D

Can someone post Leon Hall's coverage stats so I can see how shitty he is? Thanks. :D

lol thats IF hall plays :yep:

either way when the jags go 4 or even 5 wide with a Safety on Cecil Shorts and Kevin Elliot is Looking like a Mismatch not to Mention that Nelson is playing back there and he blows wads ;) and this is Assuming he is going to play.

he has a Hamstring Injury so i dont think his numbers are gonna help ya

Edited by TDJacksonville

10/14, 142 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 3 PD, 127.7 rating in the two games he played.

• Upvote 1

Gabbert has been playing OK, but has been extremely inefficient. If they do what they have for the last 5 years, and rely on Mojo to do almost literally everything on the team.. They have a shot to pull the upset. Don't think it's gonna happen though.

Bengals - 24

Jaguars - 17

Bengals declared CBs Leon Hall (hamstring), Nate Clements (calf), Dre Kirkpatrick (knee), and Jason Allen (thigh) inactive for Week 4 against the Jaguars.

Cincinnati is dangerously thin on the outside. They'll dress Terence Newman, Adam Jones, and Chris Lewis-Harris as their three healthy corners. Luckily, they're facing the inept Jaguars passing offense. The Bengals also declared RB Bernard Scott, LB Roddrick Muckelroy, and WR Ryan Whalen inactive.

Jaguars declared SLB Daryl Smith, OLs Herb Taylor and Daniel Baldridge, DLs Jeris Pendleton and George Selvie, LB Brandon Marshall, and CB Kevin Rutland inactive for Week 4 against the Bengals.

Smith has yet to play this season with a groin injury. Rutland is recovering from a concussion, and George Selvie has a knee injury. Everybody else is healthy. Eben Britton and Cameron Bradfield are back starting on the offensive line.

10/14, 142 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 3 PD, 127.7 rating in the two games he played.

Thank you.

Jags pick off Dalton on the second Bengals play of the game only to give it right back to the Bengals by fumbling in the process of returning the INT.

That should pretty much tell you everything you need to know about this game.

Jags pick off Dalton on the second Bengals play of the game only to give it right back to the Bengals by fumbling in the process of returning the INT.

That should pretty much tell you everything you need to know about this game.

Because: Jaguars.

:nonono:

We're picking top 5 easily.

Even if the process is slow, I've seen major progress from the Jags offense because, yes, it was that bad last year. You guys will be in a lot of games by the end of the year, I think.

Blaine Gabbert, even though he looks better than he did a year ago, might very well be the most inefficient QB in the league. The number of times the Jags ask him to throw do not accurately represent the stats he is putting up in return.

5.4 YPA and turnover. Ew. He's avoided the turnovers for the most part this season, which is definitely a good thing.. but the guy needs to step it up, especially when the only player on the entire Jags roster worth a damn struggles. You have to make the defenses respect your ability to throw the football.

Even if the process is slow, I've seen major progress from the Jags offense because, yes, it was that bad last year. You guys will be in a lot of games by the end of the year, I think.

no way with this shitty offensive line we have combined with this Shitty ass pass rush we got combined with our shitty tackling.

we have 2 sacks in 4 games and Both of those were done week 1 vs the vikings by both of our starting DTs.

Blaine Gabbert, even though he looks better than he did a year ago, might very well be the most inefficient QB in the league. The number of times the Jags ask him to throw do not accurately represent the stats he is putting up in return.

5.4 YPA and turnover. Ew. He's avoided the turnovers for the most part this season, which is definitely a good thing.. but the guy needs to step it up, especially when the only player on the entire Jags roster worth a damn struggles. You have to make the defenses respect your ability to throw the football.

allowing 6 sacks on the offensive line says one reason why blaines been so inefficient. we need to upgrade OLB, DE, CB, WR, OT, G, C and even RB if jennings leaves.

as for as Inefficient qbs go i think Sanchez might be worse or atleast argueble especially based on this weeks game.

allowing 6 sacks on the offensive line says one reason why blaines been so inefficient. we need to upgrade OLB, DE, CB, WR, OT, G, C and even RB if jennings leaves.

as for as Inefficient qbs go i think Sanchez might be worse or atleast argueble especially based on this weeks game.

Oh ya, line play is definitely a factor. I don't want to sit here and pretend like it all falls into the lap of Blaine Gabbert. Your offense was just pretty awful all day today, everyone included.

And you get no arguments out of me regarding Mark Sanchez. lol

• Upvote 1

Oh ya, line play is definitely a factor. I don't want to sit here and pretend like it all falls into the lap of Blaine Gabbert. Your offense was just pretty awful all day today, everyone included.

And you get no arguments out of me regarding Mark Sanchez. lol

its not gabberts fault hes so inefficient. robinson seems like his Injured self now. :facepalm: Blackmons been nearly invisible up to today. Mike thomas has More drops than catches this far im sure. Cecil shorts the one wr whos actually playing well aint getting many snaps.

I blame the coaching staff and Gene smith to a degree cuz of the lack of talent on the oline and not using players who are performing better more.

Yeah, the entire roster needs upgrading. The offensive line is built to run block and seem to know nothing about technique and communication for pass blocking. Eben Britton played so bad he got benched for an undrafted Free Agent today... think about that. He let Geno Atkins eat for most of the game, when the UDFA came in, the Jags actually moved the ball somewhat and Gabbert didn't have two dudes interrogating him in the backfield. But Gabbert and the WRs continued to suck it up even with time. Meester let a guy run unblocked right into Blaine for a sack and he blocked... nobody. Obviously a miscommunication with the carousel going on at LG.

All those empty sets were the dumbest thing I've ever seen. In empty sets you need quick, or supremely big physical WRs to get off the press. As well as a precise, elite talent QB. The Jags have none of those. It invites the blitz, the bump and run, and almost always ends in a sack if you don't have those two crucial elements to your passing attack. Just like the Texans game, the Jags got out played, out coached, and it exposed the lack of talent on the team.

The good news for them is Eugene Monroe looks legit, instead of inconsistent like past years. Same with Derek Cox, he looks legit as well. Rashean Mathis still looks like a FS playing CB (he was drafted as a FS actually and moved to CB.) I've said time and time again he struggles in man when he has to run with the WR and turn around to play the ball. He's best when he's looking towards the QB, reading his eyes and the WR's body. That's how he's gotten all his INTs (and how he nearly got one today, but "Because Jaguars" he of course dropped it.)

The only players I would keep on the Jags are MJD, Monroe, Cox, Nwaneri, Knighton, Mincey (but not as your #1, he's a classic "other guy"), Posluszny, Landry, Lowery, Daryl Smith (been hurt all year and it's killing the defense, but he is getting old), Rashad Jennings, Branch (just off potential, he's a rook), Blackmon (see Branch), and Shorts. Everyone else? Blow it up. They suck. Alualu is a bum. Gene Smith (GM) is just not that good. He's actually worse than Shack Harris and I didn't think it was possible.

Jags missed out on so many players so Gene could move up and get his guy. They've had I think the 3rd least draft picks since he's been GM. Because he trades away picks to move up and pick guys like Blaine Gabbert. I hated the pick when it happened (didn't like Gabbert coming out of the draft), gave him a shot and have actually always been patient and supportive, but he's just not good unless you have the best offensive line in the game. He's like a poor man's Drew Bledsoe but with some front line speed and absolutely no instincts in the pocket. Poor eye level, runs into sacks, short arms throws, can't operate in tight pockets. You can't do that in the NFL. That's David Carr type stuff right there. Gabbert would be a decent backup IMO.

Time to tank for Geno Smith. :facepalm:

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

I don't see how bringing in a rookie QB (whether or not you're serious about it) helps or improves the situation. The same o-line is still there, the same receivers are still there, basically the same issues from the last five years are still there.

I keep saying it, but I can't pull the plug on Blaine after this short amount of time. I mean, the dude's still only 22. Even if he keeps up his current pace for the rest of the season, it's still better that how he was last year. And at the end of the day, isn't year-to-year improvement what you want to see?

I don't see how bringing in a rookie QB (whether or not you're serious about it) helps or improves the situation. The same o-line is still there, the same receivers are still there, basically the same issues from the last five years are still there.

I keep saying it, but I can't pull the plug on Blaine after this short amount of time. I mean, the dude's still only 22. Even if he keeps up his current pace for the rest of the season, it's still better that how he was last year. And at the end of the day, isn't year-to-year improvement what you want to see?

i would rather see Year to year improvement than a Flash in the pan and regress like Josh Freeman.

judgin from his Post, i think hes actually being serious. Little does he realize he has the same Issues as Blaine Did coming out. he plays in a Heavy Shotgun offense so he doesnt know how to drop back and such. i wont continue cuz this aint the place for it but if we are picking and barkleys there which seems to me we will be picking top 5 id trade back and let a team go grab Barkley and i would like a deal like the rams got but i dont think we will get that but we should get something close to it.