Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Week 4 Rankings

NFL Power Rankings Week 4

1. :Texans: (-): Houston doesn't move after dominating Tennessee. Not that that is a great accomplishment, but they beat the teams they are supposed to beat and they do it convincingly.

2. :49ers: (+2): San Fran jumps a couple spots with the absolute annihilation of the Jets. The Vikings game was a fluke.This team might still be the best in the league.

3. :Falcons: (-1): Atlanta's offense played well, and the defense did what was necessary. They play like that against a team better than Carolina, though, and they won't come out with the W.

4. :Ravens: (-1): Baltimore only drops a spot because of the Niners stupendous showing. They also only beat Cleveland by a touchdown, but its a division game where anything can happen.

5. :Patriots: (+1): The best 2-2 team in the league. New England exploded in the second half, and the revamped defense, while still not great, may be good enough to take this team all the way.

6. :Packers: (+1): The Saints in desperation mode nearly took one away from Green Bay, but the Pack held on thanks in large part to Hartley missing a 48-yard FG. This team's offense just doesn't look like it used to, but they are still a good team.

7. :Bears: (+1): Chicago trounced Dallas on national television, and it was in Dallas. A great showing by the defense, and Cutler and the offense was able to move the ball when needed. Da Bears will be hanging around for awhile.

8. :Cardinals: (+1): Narrowly beating the Fins and letting Tannehill throw for 400+ yards is not a good stat for that vaunted defense. But the key is, the Cards came away with the W, and remained undefeated. All teams are allowed to have an off-game or two, but that QB situation is still very worrying to me.

9. :Broncos: (+2): Yes, it was the Raiders, but remember, this is the same team that beat Pitt last week. And Denver crushed them, and the Raiders have historically been a thorn in their side, even at Mile High. Denver may be finding their stride, and Peyton looks like he may be warmed up.

10. :Giants: (-5): This team is inconsistent. The Eagles are looking like a good football team right about now, but they still could have won the game. Hopefully for the Giants, Nicks returns and is back to full speed very soon.

11. :Steelers: (+1): Had a bye, but get to move up anyway due to teams failing hard ahead of them. They have the Eagles next.

12. :Eagles: (+4): Run. The. Ball. Andy Reid needs to have those words yelled at him at the beginning of every drive. The Eagles looked like the better team all night, but nearly lost anyway, (probably would have if Barden doesn't commit a stupid offensive PI), but they had no business letting the Giants hang around.

13. :Chargers: (+1): San Diego moves up a spot after the domination of KC in their own house. Never an easy thing to do for a division rival.

14. :Bengals: (+2): Dominated Jacksonville in the second half, making up for the slow start. Yes, it was the Jags, but the Bengals have to have these wins if they're going to make a playoff push. Dalton is quietly playing the best of the second-year starters, and almost no one seems to notice.

15. :Cowboys: (-5): Got embarrassed at home by the Bears on Monday Night. Romo needs a better offensive line, but he cannot afford to make mistakes when the team around him is not all that great. This team will go as far as Romo can take them, and unfortunately for him, he has to play nearly flawless for them to make any noise this year.

16. :Vikings: (+1): Minnesota is looking more and more like a complete team. On a day when Ponder doesn't do all that great, the defense completely shuts down Detroit's high-flying offense. If they can get both offense and defense going, look out.

17. :Rams: (+4): St. Louis' defense played great, but the offense kicking FGs all day isn't going to let them beat the good teams. This team is better than most believe, but in order to beat Arizona, they absolutely must capitalize on red-zone opportunities.

18. :Seahawks: (-): The 'Hawks stay put, exactly as I said last week, this team is a completely different ballclub on the road. Until they prove they can play good ball on the road as well as at home, they won't be making much of a jump.

19. :Redskins: (+5): Robert Griffin III taking over on offense has turned this team into a tough out every week. Even if they don't make the playoffs this year, he is going to turn the franchise around.

20. :panthers: (+5): Carolina played very well against a much superior team, thus the large jump despite the loss. If the defense doesn't completely drop the ball on the final drive, they would have upset Atlanta.

21. :Lions: (-2): Detroit looks like a different team from last year. Teams are taking away Megatron completely, and Stafford is suffering. The defense played great against Minny, but they lost because they became the first team since 1940 to give up back-to-back games with both a punt return for a TD and a kickoff return for a TD. Well that, and their offense never seemed to get going.

22. :Jets: (-9): New York takes the biggest fall of the week, and hard on the heels of losing Revis for the year comes the news that now Holmes may be done for the year. People may try to pin the blame on Sanchez, but he's just a scapegoat for a team that is a complete mess.

23. :Bucs: (-3): Tampa's defense crumbled against the Skins at the end, after holding RG3 in check for much of the second half. Freeman took awhile, but finally found his stride. Just keep in mind it was against Washington's terrible secondary.

24. :Bills: (-2): Buffalo's defense completely crumbled in the second half against Brady. I'm not sure they ever came out of the locker room for the third quarter.

25. :Chiefs: (-2): Kansas City got shown up in their own house by a division rival. At 1-3 and in a division with the Chargers and the revamped Broncos, if they don't turn it around soon, it may be too late.

26. :Saints: (+2): New Orleans, despite being winless, nearly took their first win at the expense of the Pack. We know this team is dangerous despite the record, and next week will be full-blown desperation mode, because their season might be over with a loss.

27. :dolphins: (+4): Miami loses in OT for the second week in a row. With just a little better playing, this team could be 3-1 instead of 1-3. It was still a tremendous effort and showed a lot of promise from Tannehill against one of the NFL's best defenses.

28. :Titans: (-1): They were playing Houston, so getting manhandled by the best team in the league isn't a surprise. Chris Johnson seemed to actually be an NFL RB for once, so that might show better things in the near future for Tennessee. Locker's injury might offset that, however.

29. :jags: (-): Jacksonville played well for 30 minutes, however an NFL game lasts 60. Gabbert reverted to his old self in the second half, and the defense seemed to be unable to get any pressure on Dalton.

30. :Colts: (-): Had a bye this week, and so they stay put. The Packers are next on the schedule.

31. :Raiders: (-5): Got pulverised by Denver, a much better team. Still, the Raiders generally give the Broncos a fight, and there was simply nothing there on Sunday.

32. :Browns: (-): Cleveland remains the worst team in the league two weeks running. Until Joe Haden comes back, this team will be very hard-pressed to win a game. Fortunately, he is back in two weeks.

Edited by Thanatos19

1. :Texans: (4-0) Houston easily takes care of yet another substandard team. I'd still like to see them against a top team, but for now they stay at the #1 spot.

2. :49ers: (3-1) I said last week that losing to the Vikings wasn't reason to panic, and I was right. The Niners shut out the Jets in a massive bounceback game.

3. :Falcons: (4-0) You're still undefeated, but you still nearly lost to the Panthers if not for a last minute miracle drive. That near miss will cost you a spot on the list with so many other teams playing so well.

4. :Ravens: (3-1) You took care of business against the Browns who played well despite being ranked dead last. Still, I need to see this team take care of business more easily against lesser teams.

5. :Cardinals: (4-0) Another week, another win. Still, you got taken to overtime by the DOLPHINS of all teams, and this just after dismantalling the Eagles. Hopefully this is not a sign that this team is cooling off. We'll see.

7. :Bears: (3-1) The Bears become the newest member of the "We Crushed The Dallas Cowboys" club, and move up acordingly.

8. :Patriots: (2-2) The Patriots seemed to have finally remembered that they are the Patirots, and played accordingly against the Bills.52 points? God damn, guys!

6. :Packers: (2-2) Even though you won, you still slide slightly due to so many other teams moving up. sorry guys.

9. :Steelers: (1-2) The Steelers didn't play this week, and yet still move up due to other teams failing miserably.

10. :Eagles: (3-1) Just when I finally think the Eagles have shown their true colors they go and beat the Giants. Could you please just decide whether you're a good team or not? Thanks.

11. :Vikings: (3-1) First the Niners, and then the Lions. This team is rapidly climbing the charts!

12. :Giants: (2-2) I really don't know what to say about the Giants. One week they play like the defending world champs, and thext they play like... this.

13. :Chargers: (3-1) Another win against another bottom-dweller team. I don't even know why I have you up this high.

14. :Broncos: (2-2) The Broncos are in the same boat as the Chargers. I need to see a win against someone who doesn't suck.

15. :Bengals: (3-1) Well you beat the Jags... but then again you beat the Jags. So you move up, but only a little.

16 :Rams: (2-2) I'm still not sure the Seahawks lost to you, but props I guess. You're better than I thought.

17. :Seahawks: (2-2) This was supposed to be an easy one! How can you contain the Packers offense, but not the Rams?! I really can't believe we dropped this one.

18. :Cowboys: (2-2) Speaking of dropping games. Five interceptions? I know it was the Bears, but GOD DAMN! someone tell me what this team is?

19. :Jets: (2-2) You scored zero points against the Niners. ZERO POINTS! I know the Niners have an amazing defense, but couldn't you even get in field goal range ONCE the whole game?

20. :Lions: (1-3) I am rapidly losing all respect for the Lions. They are consistantly losing to teams that they should have no trouble beating. I could have sworn this was supposed to be a team on the up.

21. :Redskins: (2-2) A narrow win against the Bucs moves you up the list a bit. You still have alot of work to do to if you're going to compete this year, though.

22. :Bucs: (1-3) Once again the Bucs suffer a narrow loss. This seems to be a developing trend, and one that they'll have to put a stop to quickly or they'll plummet down the chart.

23. :panthers: (1-3) A narrow loss to the Falcons knocks you down another couple of spots on the list. It seems even Cam Newton isn't immune to Sophomore Slump.

24. :Bills: (2-2) You were just starting to get it together. Unfortunately the Patriots chose this week to remember that they are, in fact, the Patriots. Tough luck guys.

25. :dolphins: (1-3) Another narrow overtime loss. One of these days you're going to have to actually pull one of these games off.

26. :Titans: (1-3) Last wek I started to have hope for you because you beat the Lions. This week not only did the Lions get crushed, but so did you. Sorry guys, you still suck.

27. :Chiefs: (1-3) You put up a fight against the Chargers, but not even they could suck enough to lose one to you. So much for being the favorites to win the AFC West.

28. :Colts: (1-2) Being as you were on a bye, you stay put this week.

29. :jags: (1-3) Every time I start to have hope for you, you have to go and dash it against the shoals of your ineptitude.

30. :Saints: (0-4) The Saints lose another one, this time to Green Bay. At this point I think any chances at a playoff appearance for this team are all but gone.

31. :Raiders: (1-3) Remember what I said last week about not being the worst in the league? Keep playing like this and you will be.

32. :Browns: (0-4) Aaand the Browns lose ANOTHER game! Who'd have thought? Look on the bright side. At least you can use that #1 overall pick to draft a REAL starting QB.

Jayrus, how on earth does the game against Atlanta show that Cam isn't immune to the Sophomore Slump? (Of which, again, there is no such thing, must I resurrect the topic for a third time?) He played lights out against a very good Falcons defense, and didn't turn the ball over, (though he almost did on the fumble). I hardly see that as a reason to think he's slumping.

Not to mention, through four weeks, he has a 87.5 rating, compared to an 84 rating from last year. He has the highest YPA in the entire NFL, (9.5). Yeah, sounds like a slump to me.

This particular game, here are his stats:

Passing: 15/24 for 215 yards, (62.5% comp), 8.96 YPA, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 119.3 Rating.

Rushing: 9 carries for 86 yards, 9.6 YPA, 1 TD.

How does that performance show you that he is slumping?

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

A lot of people are intrigued we did not trounce the Browns. That ws the fourth game in 18 days. any team after playing that many games that close is going to be tired. Also Cleveland played well so lets not take that from them as well.

I am not worried about the close call, it was a grinding opening quarter and we escaped without injury.

Although I think both have them about right where they should be, you could argue one spot higher or lower so all in all, pretty solid top 5.

A lot of people are intrigued we did not trounce the Browns. That ws the fourth game in 18 days. any team after playing that many games that close is going to be tired. Also Cleveland played well so lets not take that from them as well.

I am not worried about the close call, it was a grinding opening quarter and we escaped without injury.

Although I think both have them about right where they should be, you could argue one spot higher or lower so all in all, pretty solid top 5.

Yeah I'm not worried about Baltimore only beating Cleveland by a TD. They only dropped a spot because I though the Niners deserved to move up after smashing the Jets like that, compared to Baltimore beating the Browns by a TD.

Cleveland is always competitive, they've been in every game this season despite the four losses. We always play down to teams so it wasn't a surprise to me, especially on a rainy Thursday night game.

I'll do my ratings tomorrow, but I don't think the Giants loss warrants that big of a drop. Also think the Seahawks and Bucs are a little too low. Jayrus, I think the Broncos should be higher.

I'll do my ratings tomorrow, but I don't think the Giants loss warrants that big of a drop. Also think the Seahawks and Bucs are a little too low. Jayrus, I think the Broncos should be higher.

Alot of lists I've seen have the Seahawks even lower, so I thought my placement was fine. They deserved to drop a bit after that pathetic performance against the Rams. That offense is going to have to start carrying it's end at some point.

As for the Bucs. Maybe they could stand to be a couple spots higher, but until they manage to stop giving away games in the second half they're not going much higher, and the Broncos are going to have to show me that the win against the Steelers wasn't a fluke otherwise they suck as much as the rest of the AFC West.

Edited by Jayrus

We lost to two undefeated teams by 6 points, trounced a crap team and beat the Steelers, who are currently an enigma. I think that puts us as one of the better 2-2 teams in the league right now.

I'll make an attempt at one of these now that it is late enough in the season.

1. :Texans: Dominant on offense and defense, just give Arian Foster a break every once and a while, once you hit the 400 carry club, there is no turning back.

2. :Falcons: Undefeated and unfettered. The Flacons have all the pieces needed for a big run, including one of the best QB's in the game.

3. :49ers: A great shellacking of the Jets is just what we needed to see. the 49ers aren't going to slip up anytime soon.

4. :Ravens: 4 games in 18 days is tough, but they come out of 3-1, and not smelling like a loss to cleveland. They deserve the extra rest going into a tough game. Flacco is doing his best to not be outshone by his fellow 2008 QB Matt Ryan.

5. :Bengals: Surprising pick? Maybe, but they've got one of the most explosive offenses in the league, AJ Green looks like he has taken the next step to greatness, and the defense can do enough to keep them in most games.

6. :Cardinals: That defense is dominant... except for the part where Brian Hartline and Davone Bess run rampant on them. Still, they managed to make the rookie QB look a rookie when it counted, and they're 4-0 to show for it, even if those 4 wins are ugly.

7. :Vikings: I can only go off what I see in this season. The Vikings didn't look like contenders this season, but Adrian Peterson rushed to get healthy, Christian Ponder took his game up to a Chad Pennington level, Percy Harvin is unreal right now, and the defense seems to actually want to play after a rough start. Don't sleep on these guys just because they're the Vikings.

8. :Packers: The real refs just can't steal a Packers victory. They have a lot of flaws still, but the offense looks like it's rolling again, thanks to a small sprinkling of Cedric Benson.

9. :Bears: Inconsistent as hell, but when they're on, they could be the best team in the league.

10. :Eagles: Love that defense... offense is infuriating as hell.

11. :Patriots: Way to run the ball...? what the hell is going on?

12. :Broncos: Finally get a game where all of our pieces are clicking... and we completely dominate. This is what we should be doing every week.

13. :Giants: Can't give the Giants too much credit, they're only 2-2, and they have a bunch of losses coming in November and December.

14. :Chargers: Anyone can beat up on scrubs, but they got tossed by the Falcons. Wait till they hit the hard part of the schedule.

15. :Seahawks: If they want to win now, they'd start Flynn. Wilson won't be bad in the future, anyone who watches him can see the potential, but he can't be counted on to win right now, which is what the Seahawks will do with Flynn.

16. :Rams: Still not sold on Bradford, but my appreciation for Jeff Fisher as a coach has gone up a lot, love what he's doing with that defense.

17. :Steelers: Now it just starts getting confusing...

18. :Redskins: Gotta love what Bob is doing for the Skins, he has them looking a lot better than they ever did last year.

19. :dolphins: Weird place for a 1-3 team, but they play better than the record shows.

20. :Cowboys: Man Romo is so bad you guys, should be benched immediately. :yep:

21. :Bucs: I have no clue anymore, it's not that the Bucs are good, they're just better than what's left.

22. :Colts: They're 1-2 and can't stop the pass, but they're competitive out there, actually seems like they're trying to win.

23. :Bills: Yeah I guess you can go here.

24. :panthers: No idea what's going on in carolina. They should be better than this, but you can't see it. Charles Johnson finally gets back on track and the rest of the defense lets them down. Newton is playing well, but he turns it over too much.

25. :Jets: Will continue to drop until it's Tebow time and they guarantee a playoff spot

26. :Lions: The NFC is stacked, this is the 15th NFC team on the list, and they have a lot of offensive firepower. Just some really shitty special teams which costs them games.

27. :Chiefs: At least Jamaal Charles is good?

28. :jags: At least they can look competitive once in a while?

29. :Raiders: At least... they don't have as many penalties?

30. :Titans: At least Chris Johnson finally had a good game?

31. :Saints: You can't even win when the refs are holding your balls for you. Gotta miss Sean Payton now.

32. :Browns: Lol Old Weed.

Edited by RazorStar

Still trying to figure out how people don't understand that NFC South rivalry games always seem to be close. I'd give the Falcons a pass and see what they do next week against Washington before you say that they can't play like they did against Carolina.

NFL Power Rankings Week 4

26. :Saints: (+2): New Orleans, despite being winless, nearly took their first win at the expense of the Pack. We know this team is dangerous despite the record, and next week will be full-blown desperation mode, because their season might be over with a loss.

Kinda hard to say we know this team is dangerous when they haven't really proved it this season.

Not saying I don't appreciate the "love" for my team and all but to raise them up (+2) from the previous week when they still have the worst defense in the league and it doesn't look like it is going to get any better may be stretching it some.

Kinda hard to say we know this team is dangerous when they haven't really proved it this season.

Not saying I don't appreciate the "love" for my team and all but to raise them up (+2) from the previous week when they still have the worst defense in the league and it doesn't look like it is going to get any better may be stretching it some.

They lost to the Pack by a point.

Any team with Brees on it is going to be dangerous. All of my teams that were ranked under 23, (starting with KC), lost, I believe, except the Colts, who were on a bye. The only team I have ranked below them that I think might beat them is Miami.

I'm so embarrassed that the Dolphins are better than my Jags this year. I swore Miami would be the worst team in the league. Tannehill is already > Gabbert.

#BecauseJaguars

See sig.