Vin

Jets @ Seahawks

After a disappointing first half, the New York Jets are hoping to come out of their bye with a much-improved effort down the stretch.

Coach Rex Ryan, though, knows his team will be in for a tough test at CenturyLink Field, where the Seattle Seahawks have yet to lose.

The struggling Jets try to turn things around Sunday against a Seattle team looking to extend its best home start in seven seasons.

A week off seemed to come at just the right time for New York (3-5), which fell 30-9 at home to Miami in Week 8 for its fourth loss in five games. The Jets find themselves in a last-place tie with Buffalo in the AFC East but are just two games behind division-leading New England.

"We definitely have the resources to get back into this thing," safety Yeremiah Bell said. "We have the players, we have the coaching staff and we have the 'want to.' The thing is, it's going to be just us on Sundays just going out there and executing."

The Jets need to pick up the pace on both sides of the ball, as they rank 27th in the league with 317.4 yards per game and 24th with an average of 25.0 points allowed.

They're also surely hoping to see Mark Sanchez take better care of the football - he's thrown five interceptions and fumbled six times in the last five games - as he faces Pete Carroll, his former coach at Southern California, for the first time.

"We will be doing some different things," Ryan said. "Again, I don't want to get into the specifics of it. I hope you understand that if there's an advantage to be gained, I want to gain that advantage without letting our opponent know. We'll be looking at a lot. There are several things to improve and I'm excited about trying to implement some of these things."

While Ryan appears optimistic about getting on track, the Jets are likely to have their hands full at Seattle. The Seahawks (5-4) defeated Minnesota 30-20 last Sunday, improving to 4-0 at home for the first time since going undefeated on their own field in their Super Bowl season of 2005.

"It's obviously an extremely tough place to play," Ryan said. "Having wins over Dallas, Green Bay, Minnesota and New England at home shows you the task that we have in front of us.

"With that being said, we're gonna roll our sleeves up and go up there ... and give it heck."

In addition to trying to contain Marshawn Lynch, the Jets will need to be wary of rookie Russell Wilson, who threw for 173 yards and three touchdowns against the Vikings. Wilson has nine TD passes and no interceptions at home, where he's compiled a league-leading 120.2 passer rating.

"I definitely believe we are getting more comfortable; the more you play, the more you practice, the more you communicate through the week," he told the team's official website.

"I think that's the biggest thing, just stay the course and just keep believing in what we're doing."

Lynch could be in for a big day against a Jets defense surrendering 141.4 rushing yards per game to rank 29th in the NFL. The bruising back posted his fifth 100-yard effort of 2012 versus Minnesota with a season-high 124 yards and a TD. His 881 yards on the ground are second in the NFL to Adrian Peterson's 957.

Sitting 1 1/2 games behind NFC West-leading San Francisco, the second-place Seahawks are hoping to carry some momentum into next week's bye.

"We need the rest of these games coming up, and fortunately for us four out of the next seven are at home," said Sidney Rice, who hauled in his third TD reception in four games last weekend. "We use this crowd for energy. We feed off them and we're thankful we have them."

Seattle won't have linebacker K.J. Wright or guard James Carpenter available Sunday after both suffered concussions against Minnesota.

The Seahawks had dropped eight of nine in this series before taking the last matchup 13-3 on Dec. 21, 2008, in the Jets' only visit to CenturyLink Field.

Sunday marks Marcus Trufant's first matchup against younger brother and fellow cornerback, Isaiah, of New York.

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by Vin

That Jets offense vs. that Seattle defense... at home.

:Jets: 75/5+10-6-9

:Seahawks: (15-5) X 7/5 +7

This was just... I've never liked the Jets, and neither have I ever been on the Sanchez bandwagon, but after seeing this game I can't help but feel bad for the guy. I just can't figure out why they thought switching QBs back and forth was a good idea. Sanchez could enver get anything going because they [pulled him every time he made a play, and they never let Tebow play more than two downs in a row. How can your offense get into a rhythm when you won't one or the other QB play? If you want to start Tebow than start him, otherwise sit his ass down and let Sanchez play a whole game uninterrupted. I mean, I've seen Rex Ryan do some dumb shit, but never anything this dumb. It's like he's trying to intentionally sabotage his team. QB is NOT a plug & play position.

Well, a win is a win. It was nice to finally see the Hawks lay down a blowout on another team, even though the Jets did everything they could to help us do it. Looking at the remaining schedule we have a good shot at going at least 10-6 and getting that wildcard spot. Hawks finished strong last year. hopefully we'll do so again.

Well i can admit i was wrong Bevell finally got less conservative in the 2nd half but we can't keep having Lynch run the ball 40+ times a game we are going to ruin him.

Wish he would stop being so predictable though.

Edited by Sacks98

Well i can admit i was wrong Bevell finally got less conservative in the 2nd half but we can't keep having Lynch run the ball 40+ times a game we are going to ruin him.

Wish he would stop being so predictable though.

There's nothing wrong with giving Lynch alot of touches. We are a run first team after all. The problem is he does the same plas over and over. Up the middle, up the middle, short pass, punt. If we fans can predict the plays how can you expect to fool the defense? You have to vary up the playcalling, or at least disguise the plays better. Throw different running plays at them than straight up the middle. Have Wilson throw more on first down. Or if you know they're expectign another first down run throw in a playaction. Do SOMETHING to fool the defense or we'll just get stopped 3/4 drives like we are.

That play where we did a shovel pass to Tate who then threw a TD to Rice was fun to watch, but trick plays like that are dangerous. As long as we only run it like once a game or so it's tine sice other teams won't know when to expect it. I just hope we don't try to do it too much and get caught for a big play the other way. WRs shouldn't be throwing the ball. The QB should. I don't want to have to see them use that play and then watch Tate or Rice or whoever we shovelled to throw a pick.

Edited by Jayrus

There's nothing wrong with giving Lynch alot of touches. We are a run first team after all. The problem is he does the same plas over and over. Up the middle, up the middle, short pass, punt. If we fans can predict the plays how can you expect to fool the defense? You have to vary up the playcalling, or at least disguise the plays better. Throw different running plays at them than straight up the middle. Have Wilson throw more on first down. Or if you know they're expectign another first down run throw in a playaction. Do SOMETHING to fool the defense or we'll just get stopped 3/4 drives like we are.

That play where we did a shovel pass to Tate who then threw a TD to Rice was fun to watch, but trick plays like that are dangerous. As long as we only run it like once a game or so it's tine sice other teams won't know when to expect it. I just hope we don't try to do it too much and get caught for a big play the other way. WRs shouldn't be throwing the ball. The QB should. I don't want to have to see them use that play and then watch Tate or Rice or whoever we shovelled to throw a pick.

Now i am not against running the football but 40+ times and all of them going up the middle is terrible play calling in my opinion especially the way he was calling them it was so predictable use your mobile QB.

There was one series where he tried to run the ball up the middle 3 straight times and failed.

Edited by Sacks98

:Jets: 75/5+10-6-9

:Seahawks: (15-5) X 7/5 +7

I was close. :yep: